Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Poisoner  (Read 3205 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisoner
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:33 am »

If a koblod manages to sneak past an entire battaloin of off-duty troops, Guard dogs, dozens of people using the main (Perfectly smoothed) corridor, my cooks, and finally the dozens of people in the food stockpile I will be very frustrated.

What can we say, he used a disguise well.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:20 am »

I think that Kobolds/Goblins using these tactics on unguarded things is a decent idea. However, If a koblod manages to sneak past an entire battaloin of off-duty troops, Guard dogs, dozens of people using the main (Perfectly smoothed) corridor, my cooks, and finally the dozens of people in the food stockpile I will be very frustrated.

You do have a point, but there is something interesting about master thieves earning their title. Even if they die trying to get out.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 01:26:13 pm »

yeah, and imagine the epic race to close the fortress doors! (especially if for example you have a birdge, and a guys sprinting to the lever to block it off, it'd be like the slow closing portcullis)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:44 pm »

No good reason kobolds can't poison your guard-dogs, by the way.
For they would be your masters.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 02:13:28 am »

Ooh. Hush-Puppies.

I like the way you brought that full circle.

It's going to raise the mortality rate among guard dogs, but it's not like the typical, mid-life fortress has a huge pet shortage, unless you've been using them to sponge up excess goblin arrows.

Master thieves could also carry small, but deadly, poisonous creatures on their person, such that it is released when they die, or steal an item. Capturing and milking the toxic vermin could be profitable, but it would give us a reason to respect the master thief, instead of treating him like meat fireworks.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 02:42:19 am »

8)

I like kobolds--they've got potential.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 03:02:57 am »

Yes kobolds are awesome.

Poisoned daggers for them are given but hopefully their caves get a bit more interresting in the next time.

They would need a way to stealth themself again after they were found but out of view.

The disguise idea isnt that far of with cosmetical layers and if a kobold would wear dwarven clothes. You would need the quality of a "Disguise" somehow and let dwarves check the disguised Kobold if they are near them or talk to them. The Kobold on the other hand could get Social skills (Liar, judge of intent, Conversationalist) to make theyr behavior fitting to theyr disguise. In a very unsocial fort they could go in and out without being noticed.

For Adv mode it would be interresting if you could hire them as thieves and Assasins.

Edit:

Poison as emergency throwing weapon? (Poisoned Shuricans?)

Indicator for poisons: Dead vermin/fishes around the stockpile, Color, smell, flavor. Maybe a food tester for Nobles
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:26:43 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 06:02:58 am »

Kobolds are too stupid to speak, don't expect sophisticated behavior and disguises that make the cardboard box look realistic

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 06:14:58 am »

Well i dont think they are to dumb to speak they are just unable to articulate. Signblanguage or Pheromons work also as language. I think that they have somehow to communicate and to be intelligent to get theyr daggers, Bows, armor and clothes.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 08:27:04 am »

Kobolds can speak if I remember correctly they just have a language that functions much more differently then our own. Verbs and Nouns are used interchangably and don't use some words.

So the average Kobold would be unlikely to hold up a conversation.

Also the Cardboard box idea is realistic... Hiding inside goods has been done forever! It only fails when they are inspected.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 01:14:04 pm »

Might be fun if say... you piss off either human or elven caravan... next time before they would siege you... they poison their trades  :-X no more human beer or elf mugs and i bet they put something in those cloth bins  ;) also a use for alchemy/poisoner/whatever skill would be able to detect these poisons in the food/whatever... just throwing ideas and thoughts.

And kobolds have some intelect, unlels stealing is an instinct... which is applied to some dragons and some semi mega beasts. I would call it greed if not for fact Dragons aren't bright and all because of their issue with magma and their own fire...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »

Well, once again, a lot of these issues are based on treating the current incomplete status of the game, itself, as if it were canon.

Bugs and "stand-in" code are not the best things to base theories around.

Dragons, I'm sure, will become much more "intelligent" by the time the game is finished and polished.

And kobolds have to be smarter/more sophisticated than either the Beastmen, Grimelings,  Trolls, etc. since kobolds are one of the 5 primary civs, and others aren't.

Given their tiny size, they might be some of the most intelligent beings in the entire game, out of sheer necessity.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 05:11:53 am »

There's nothing to indicate dragons are intelligent. That's just your D&D talking

In fact, they're quadrupeds canonically. Curiously enough, beak dogs are humanoid. Some dogs

Now, why would kobolds try to poison you in the first place? They're obviously not interested in politics, just loot

I would like if caravans sometimes spawned with a kobold in an empty bin. Guards should retire into the inn once inside your walls and the kobold would try to steal something valuable and most importantly, useful when no one's looking and sneak out. If you want it to work you need to arrange a situation where there's no NPCs on the depot. Otherwise it's just a free bin for the player or an inevitable loss as the now completely invisible kobold sneaks out from the middle of a dozen armed guards. Chances are, you wouldn't be able to find something like that even if you tried

Then again, if it can sneak into the caravan, why didn't it steal something from it instead? Makes little sense to try to stow away into a heavily defended fort inside a caravan full of the desired loot

Bonus points if the bin is stuck sometimes and the kobold can't get out
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:19:20 am by Pilsu »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 05:44:59 am »

Well the kobolds can be on war with your civ or later maybe being hired from another Faction. Its also not only kobolds it could be too Goblins.

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 06:26:11 am »

There's nothing to indicate dragons are intelligent. That's just your D&D talking

First of all, you're mistaking my meaning. I mean that dragons will act in a more intelligent way than they currently do, in the sense that they're intended to be designed better, when the game comes to fruition.

Secondly, I hardly need to make reference to D&D to find an intelligent dragon. Norse myth supplies the "smart dragon", even as it does the dwarf. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafnir

Also, Satan takes on the appearance of a red dragon with seven heads in the Biblical book of Revelation.
("Dragon" pretty much equalled "Satan" in the medieval mind.)

And ofcourse, there's tons of them in Asian myth.

Not that dragons have to be sentient in DF, but there's certainly precedent outside of D&D (and outside of Tolkien's writing, which was probably based on Fafhrd-- and Tolkien is where D&D got the idea in the first place, starting with Glaurung and ending with Smaug.).
Pages: 1 [2] 3