Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Poisoner  (Read 3203 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Poisoner
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »

Basically my idea is this. During sieges, and an=mbushes, a few goblins come in stealth. They try to get to your food/beer/well/farm, and poison/soil it. This could lead to a bit more challenge. Also, you might want to have a....sort of a poison checker? If he got your food, that could cause many deaths. Well would be worse if you run out of beer. With the farm, he would make it so everything there would die.

What do you think?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Poisoner
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:36:41 pm »

Poison are being implemented, and Toady won't let us down.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:41:59 pm »

yes but these guys poison direct things

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:42:37 pm »

Yes, but there's no goblins or kobolds slated to try to poison our wells. Seems like more of a kobold tactic.

Might be worth investigating, but the problem is that right now stealth enemies trying to infiltrate a fortress is a joke. I've never had a kobold steal anything that was inside a fort.

Stealth could be improved to advanced infiltration techniques such as rope drops, Solid Snake crate/barrel inching, dirt camo, immigrant disguise, or eventual co-improvement with an eventual lighting system.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54:06 pm »

Yes, but there's no goblins or kobolds slated to try to poison our wells. Seems like more of a kobold tactic.

Might be worth investigating, but the problem is that right now stealth enemies trying to infiltrate a fortress is a joke. I've never had a kobold steal anything that was inside a fort.

Stealth could be improved to advanced infiltration techniques such as rope drops, Solid Snake crate/barrel inching, dirt camo, immigrant disguise, or eventual co-improvement with an eventual lighting system.

YES.  VERY YES!  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D ;) ;) :P
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:33:01 am »

But if we buy from their special goods, eventually they'll start to think that you are too much of a valuable customer to blah blah, candy mountain!

Anyways, I hope he puts in influencing factions and making them your buddies, like with diplomacy, you may make a 'fair shake' ( wink ) , and make a few treaties, and use the typewriter to cause wars.

It's like saying the feather is a sword, and the typewriter is a heavy machine gun.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:58:04 am »

But if we buy from their special goods, eventually they'll start to think that you are too much of a valuable customer to blah blah, candy mountain!

Anyways, I hope he puts in influencing factions and making them your buddies, like with diplomacy, you may make a 'fair shake' ( wink ) , and make a few treaties, and use the typewriter to cause wars.

It's like saying the feather is a sword, and the typewriter is a heavy machine gun.

The references are getting a tad heavy-handed, chief. :P Don't make me use Sepulchritude on you.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 01:10:20 am »

Lord 255, you don't have enough pulchritude, or honor, nor do you have the eight set of Impetus Combs!

I am more of a Sleuth, though I am borderline Inspector!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisoner and Stealth
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 03:05:31 am »

Lord 255, you don't have enough pulchritude, or honor, nor do you have the eight set of Impetus Combs!

I am more of a Sleuth, though I am borderline Inspector!

I reject your systems and apply my own!

MAGUS TECH LEVEL 99 - GO!

*ahem* back on topic...

I still think addressing the stealth issues - or lack thereof - ought to come before devious new uses for infiltration.

While steadfast paranoia and constant placement of guard dogs are, and perhaps well should be, able to produce an ironclad defense against thieving kobolds and goblins, it seems like there ought to be tactics that WARRANT such paranoia. To elaborate on my previous mentions, if I may...

Rope Drops: Depending on how ropeladders are implemented next version, have kobolds (and other ambushers) employ them when possible; descending into chasms to infiltrate your fortress through a connected cave, for example, or use grappling hooks to scale an unprotected side of your tower megaconstruction.

Crate Disguise: Have kobolds sneak into caravans and/or find nearby crates, dump their contents, and crawl inside; when not observed, the crate would move slightly, and/or wait to be carried off as if it were the item in question.

Dirt Camo: Improved stealthing when in grass/on soil and not moving.

Immigrant Disguise/Shuttle: Would need descriptive paragraphs first to see if it's viable. If impersonation outright is impossible, then the kobolds could pay off an immigrant to ferry them in. This, however, goes into territory involving treachery, which is a huge beast of its own...

Lighting: Far future, but probably the easiest method.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 03:15:10 am »

Employing the cardboard box method is pretty stupid, let alone when you consider the bugger could have just stolen what was in that bin to begin with

If underground rivers flowed from edge to edge, those could be used as means of getting in. Of course, the fact that they're filled with monsters somewhat undermines that idea. I'd rather not have mine full of kobold bones that never vanish  :P
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:18:15 am by Pilsu »

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 03:32:50 am »

I think his ideas are pretty cool actually...

The bin one seems funny, but perhaps they should only use empty bins? or home made goblin ones (so if you read the description there'd something slightly odd about it)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 03:38:56 am »

If underground rivers flowed from edge to edge, those could be used as means of getting in. Of course, the fact that they're filled with monsters somewhat undermines that idea. I'd rather not have mine full of kobold bones that never vanish  :P

SCUBA KOBOLDS. My god.

A BYOB (bring your own bin) method would be much more devious, now that I think about it... but one of the things about this stealthing is that it's worthwhile for kobolds/thieves to be able to really INFILTRATE rather than snatch something off your doorstep and have a victory parade.

Consider the excitement of getting a kobold-spotted announcement in your nobles' chamber, with the item in contention being an artifact robe - the kobold knocks out your noble, sprints past the guards, and almost makes it to the door before one of your fisherdwarves tackles him, causing him to drop the artifact as his lungs are crushed by a team of wrestlers.

But your victory is incomplete, because while he was there, he installed a trap in the nobles' bed. The grieving and rage from the higher-up noble has your captain of the guard demoted, and the other nobles begin demanding more doors in their rooms.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 04:29:24 am »

If by trap you mean some kind of nasty critter that bites the noble, sure. That ire should really be targeted at the royal guard though. Maybe both. Would be irritating to counter the vermin if we can't actually station the guard though, I wouldn't want to use troops for that. For instance place a guard in ceremonial bronze armor and halberd next to the noble's door

I was thinking more on the lines of cute little personal carved boats

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:50:50 am »

I like the idea of skubolds in their skuba gear.  :)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:33:59 am »

I think that Kobolds/Goblins using these tactics on unguarded things is a decent idea. However, If a koblod manages to sneak past an entire battaloin of off-duty troops, Guard dogs, dozens of people using the main (Perfectly smoothed) corridor, my cooks, and finally the dozens of people in the food stockpile I will be very frustrated.

I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3