Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A DF essay  (Read 1005 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
A DF essay
« on: February 23, 2009, 05:49:00 pm »

So, for school i had to write an essay, and i wrote it about DF. I actually got my mom interested in DF by reading it (the graphics destroyed her interest  :().

Anyone interested in reading it? I was thinking about expanding it and giving it to toady to use as a detailed description, if he's interested.

Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
Re: A DF essay
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:07:15 pm »

It's actually not that long. ._.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:16:07 pm »

That's a fairly good essay there! Only thing I think you should mention is the complexity of each unit, such as the tracked body parts, temperatures, bleeding, fainting, over-exertion, personalities (perhaps even how amazingly great masterwork dining tables are), and maybe even comment on the soon-to-come tissue layers. Could also mention legends in there.

But other than this, it's very good! I think there's a "You" in there somewhere that was supposed to be a "your," but I lost it.

Wait, found it. second paragraph:

"You must also provide food and drink, or you dwarves will eventually die of malnourishment"
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:29:12 pm »

It's actually not that long. ._.
This.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:51:58 pm »

ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:59:12 pm »

occasionally dieing in amusing ways

Dying.

Other than that, good stuff.  What class was this for?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:57:45 pm »

Put it on writting workshop, and try to get it published somewhere. Publicity for DF = Good.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 01:08:35 am »

In upholding the honor of these fora in providing feedback wherever possible, I submit to you the following critique:

<+Iron Critique+>

This is an iron critique.  It is decorated with studs of punctuation.  On it is written feedback involving the structural layout of a Dwarf Fortress Essay.  The feedback states that the five paragraph essay format is largely valuable in that it teaches a student the proper use of a thesis statement and support thereof.  Your writing is coherent, but the thesis seems to be "Its two game modes play so differently they could be considered different games."  Your first two paragraphs support the development of this thesis.  Your last two paragraphs do not.  This critique relates to the writing of Geshud Monom by SolarShado in 2009.  It menaces with spikes of cat leather.

Some statement to alter the flow from the first paragraph into the second would help the essay read a little better.  "[By contrast,] in 'Adventure' mode, you play as a lone adventurer."  You have an excellent reference to the previous two paragraphs in the beginning of the third, but then it describes how the settings are the same, which does not support your thesis.  This could be good if you decide to refute this point later as being less important than the critical differences, but the conclusion just doesn't relate to the rest of the essay.

Simply expounding upon your introduction to explain what makes Dwarf Fortress so enticing could help to catch your reader.  Don't forget to strongly consider your thesis statement.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:01:20 pm »

Thanks for the response folks, I'll try to reply to everyone's comments in order.

About the typos and minor grammar errors, this was the first draft. I had to use some ackward gramatical constructs in the later versions, to follow the rules.

As for the comments on length, it is kinda long for a forum post.

@Vaiolis on details: The idea was to describe DF as it is now, and it's actually longer than it was supposed to be...

@Mulch: Not here, please. -_-

@ Bromor on classes: composition. why?

@Strife: My thoughts exactly:) not sure what you mean by "writting workshop", tho

@Lumen: Thanks for the laugh, but I'm not sure what you mean about the flow and thesis statement... I did change the order of the paragraphs by the final version.

Finally... ( ;))

The biggest changes were the re-ordered paragraphs and I used a different example for how the ASCII characters can be confusing. Did a little research in the raws and thought this sounded a little better.
Spoiler: "The Final Version" (click to show/hide)

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:39:43 pm »

Quote from: SolarShado
Bromor on classes: composition. why?

Oh, I never had the opportunity to write an essay on a computer game when I was in school, and I just wondered if it was computer science or English class or what.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »

Quote from: SolarShado
Bromor on classes: composition. why?

Oh, I never had the opportunity to write an essay on a computer game when I was in school, and I just wondered if it was computer science or English class or what.

The essay had to "describe or define", that was about the only requirement in that area.