Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Couple Farm Animals  (Read 1142 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Couple Farm Animals
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:36:24 pm »

I saw some people wanting animals, and I had just made some, so I though I'd share.  C&C is welcome.  I take lots of notes in my raw files, so you can cut that out if you don't want it.  If you aren't in to modding, just copy the code and append it to your creature_domestic file in the raw folder.  I haven't done a gameplay pass on values yet, so input is welcome to get them to conform.

sheep
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

pigs

chickens

edit: spelling.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:43:22 pm by Dwarfu »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Couple Farm Animals
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:42:43 pm »

Hope you didn't make these pigs domestic, because the 'pigs' they had back then were huge, snarling mother*%$&@rs.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:46:45 pm »

I didn't really make them to be a beast, though I do have them able to spawn in the wild to be hunted.  I gave them the names of boar and sow and played through a test game where they spawned on the map...looked pretty natural having some pigs meander though the brush on the edge of the map.

I guess you could always make another creature and make it a more ferocious, feral, wild raging porker.

But, again, I was working on domestic, mundane animals.  Not that you can't make infinite varieties such as a dwarven pot belly with long hair and mighty tusks.

See what modding does to you?

edit: spelling again.

stoned funeral

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »

What do you mean exactly by "should create such and such..."? Should as in when I butcher a pig in the game I get bacon & sausage? Or should as in this is how it "should" be but isn't?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:52:30 pm »

The latter...as stated in the original post, i have a lot of notes there which are either research or specific to me and my worlds, or just notes to myself.

I would expect the pigs to eventually be able to drop named meat such as pork.  Perhaps in the distant future, but my note is there as a reminder nonetheless.  Just as sheep may hopefully be able to have a tissue layer of wool in the next update.  Or rabbit furs, etc.

Sorry for any confusion.  My herb case studies have about 3 pages total for 1 plant.  Granted its an amalgamation of different properties of some like plants, but I want it there as a reminder so I can tweak it (more restrictive biomes, growing seasons, etc) when more functionality enters the game.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:57:27 pm by Dwarfu »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:56:14 pm »

Hope you didn't make these pigs domestic, because the 'pigs' they had back then were huge, snarling mother*%$&@rs.

"back then"? pigs have been domesticated for over 10,000 years.

there are still wild boars. totally different species, although they can interbreed.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:01:35 pm »

The latter...as stated in the original post, i have a lot of notes there which are either research or specific to me and my worlds, or just notes to myself.

I would expect the pigs to eventually be able to drop named meat such as pork.  Perhaps in the distant future, but my note is there as a reminder nonetheless.  Just as sheep may hopefully be able to have a tissue layer of wool in the next update.  Or rabbit furs, etc.

animal-specific meat (pork, mutton, beef, etc) should be easy enough. it's really just another matgloss, like foot -> hoof or claw. even [CHITIN] should really be abolished and handled the same way.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 03:26:46 pm »

can i add these animals in my hobbit mod?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 04:32:28 pm »

can i add these animals in my hobbit mod?

Appreciate you asking, but they are pretty common animals and I didn't post them to also stamp a copyright on them.   Feel free to use as you see fit, morph them into megabeasts, make them have 30 babies and only show up in snow...whatever you do, enjoy!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 02:13:56 pm »

well it is polite to ask first you know, i will place you down in credits as you spent time to make the animals even though u made only three. ;D

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 02:28:13 pm »

"back then"? pigs have been domesticated for over 10,000 years.

there are still wild boars. totally different species, although they can interbreed.
Whoah. I need to go make that now.