Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Toady's Fortresses  (Read 7961 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Toady's Fortresses
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:13:38 pm »

Toady One, can you please share one of your fortresses on the DFMA? I have long wondered what a "real" fortress looks like.

Of course, I'm not even sure that you spend any time actually playing rather than coding... but if you have an old one laying around, please share it!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Toady's Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:29:02 pm »

There was that cool island fort he showed off the terrain generator with.  But other than the ancient 2D example pics, I can't recall ever seeing what kind of fort Toady actually makes.

What about Three Toe?  If I understand it, he doesn't do any of the coding, so he probably has free time to play it once in a while.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:51:40 pm »

I demand a picture of Toady's fortresses!
He probably finds out all gold veins on the map, and collapses them in order to make the fortress out of pure engraved golden walls...
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 03:59:05 pm »

I'd rather have the creator of the game working and not playing.
Work, and work fast my preeties! HEHEHEHEHHheheh!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:02:21 pm »

Heh, are you sure Toady even seriously plays DF?  It would be funny if he didn't.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 04:03:17 pm »

Heh, are you sure Toady even seriously plays DF?  It would be funny if he didn't.
But not unexpected.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:05:25 pm »

He bug tests a little, probably.  Can be very different from playing, with very different results.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:19:37 pm »

Maybe that's what the month-end projects are!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:39:01 pm »

The monthendproject could be anything from playing PnP Games to DF 1.1 Stuff we get for chrismas like the random Poem generator.

Well since nobody would work the entire month i think the secret monthendproject is "stay sane and chill out".
Maybe its a book threetoe writes and toady does the lectoring ,which by the way would fall atleast for me, would be too in the "stay sane and chill out" category.

At last it could be a doctoral thesis of some kind.

We should open a legal betting pool for such asumptions.

I am sure toady plays df without testing specific stuff. He even said earlyer, iirc, that he has some aged forts but nothing so fancy as our megaconstructions.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »

Maybe that's what the month-end projects are!

Are you suggesting that the month-end (mega)project is an active volcano inside a fortress inside an active volcano?
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:48:09 pm »

That would be interesting, but Toady just said in the Month-end thread that the Month end project is a completely different game and isn't DF related.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Umogrim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:53:21 pm »

Note that all this is just assumption, but since DF is free, and it is something Toady is interested in, he most probably plays it aswell. I know if I could make a game that indulges all my expectations, I'd love playing it. Whereas bigger companies are just interested in the money they make from the game.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 10:45:20 pm »

That would be interesting, but Toady just said in the Month-end thread that the Month end project is a completely different game and isn't DF related.

Yeah, but I couldn't pass up making the joke.

I'm pretty sure Toady has said that the point of most bay12 games are to be games that are fun, even for the creators. It was in that interview a while back.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:57:50 pm »

Yeah, but I couldn't pass up making the joke.

I'm pretty sure Toady has said that the point of most bay12 games are to be games that are fun, even for the creators. It was in that interview a while back.

I don't know.  It might be harder for Toady to enjoy DF because he knows better than anyone what the game needs and doesn't have, while a new player is kept busy marveling at what it does have.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:11 am »

I'll bet that every time Toady plays Dwarf Fortress, all the carp in the map catch fire, the elephants spontaneously bleed to death, the goblins cut their own heads off, the elves cut down every tree and burn themselves alive in a massive bonfire, and all his dwarves become Legendary KILL-EVERYTHINGers as soon as he embarks.

Also I bet Toady One get's 8 dwarves instead of 7, without even changing any code.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7