Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Awesome spot bragging and question about an experiment  (Read 4706 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Awesome spot bragging and question about an experiment
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:06:48 am »

So, I've been wanting to do an underwater city/harbour for a while, and when the world gen popped up an island consisting entirely out of 4 volcanoes I went for it. I extended the map far into the sea so I could keep on building, and then started building a coastal base to begin from.
When I found the magma pipe, I noticed what made the site so awesome, I scrolled to the bottom of the map.
The pipe starts on -2 or so.
The bottom of that pipe is on z level minus fifty-two Yeah, -52.

So I can go on digging for a while, but now for my experiment, I have a plan of making bridges sticking out of the island, making green-glass domes a few z-levels tall (Hollow), and then dropping them onto a flat area of sea bed. My question is: Will the thing survive the fall intact?
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome spot bragging and question about an experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:16:22 am »

Underwater Biodomes! Awesome idea!  Would love to know if that works.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:24:38 am »

Alas, constructions just turn into their component parts when collapsed. You need to collapse rock walls, and even then they all flatten without retaining a shape. Your dome will just be a pancake on the bottom of the ocean if done with obsidian formed by magma and water, or just a big pile of glass blocks. The only way you can possibly make this happen is outlined in two plans:
 -Project flood the world Drain the World!
 -Obsidian Fortress

The first consists of using either a chasm or other means of obliterating water to drain the ocean, then building your fortress before it re-floods.
 The second consists of sinking blocks of obsidian to form the general, shape, which you hollow out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:23 am »

Damn, There's no chasm/pit. No river either, so I'll either have to make perteum mobile or use endless windmill farms in order to power all the (magma) pumps.
I can upload the map to see if anybody has any ideas on how it could work, as a semi-community project, see whose method works best, as I do want underwater glass domes I can pretend my dwarves can look out of.
another issue: If I use an obsidian dam (Hard considering the depth of the water on some spots.) I'll have a great big ugly underwater wall surrounding my biodome region, which you can't remove if you don't give your dwarves [NOBREATHE] (Or some variant) and [SWIM]/[AMPHIBIOUS] (Not sure which one.)
Does anyone have any posible sulutions in mind? I can play around with it as a normal fortress with a extended underwater tunnel system.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:02:24 am »

Well, just make a giant obsidian tube, dig through it, hollow out your area, and line it with glass. not sure how to get the obsidian away though. you could try pumping the water out of the dig site and making the anti-flood walls out of a massive floodgate array. then they'd be invisible while deactivated! (and would allow you to reinstate plan drain the world in the case of a massive breach in the dome)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:28:44 am »

Somehow I doubt that would work, the only real expanse of flat seabed is at -4 from the surface, you don't just pump that dry. Especially not cinsidering I have about 6 or 9 (can't remember the width) region-tiles of sea, the amount of border water sources is gargantuan.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:11:33 am »

Make steel bins, fill them with logs, set aflame, and drop into the ocean, flaming bins are the ultimate water repellent.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:40:15 am »

No flux, very little iron.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:09 pm »

Nickle bins should work... also, draining the ocean into a room with hundreds of floodgates set to four or so Pull/R levers should pummel enough water away to do something, even if it can't get the whole thing.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 03:00:47 pm »

Dwarven terraforming? Awesome. Let us know how it turns out!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Lucifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 03:31:38 pm »

Can't you use the method Dutch Settlers used in the Medievals ? Yeah , bit of a history freak =D

I suggest you ,

1. Secure a piece of the ocean so that NO water can get to it.
2. Pump out all the water
3. Clean (dwarfs will automaticly do this)
4. You have a dry piece of land
5. Repeat step 1-4

Remark: It takes alot of time , but so do the other methods.

(!) This idea hasn't been tested before , I'm putting it on Mythbusters
Urist McDwarf: Our magma pressure will blot out the sun!

Pansy Elf: Then we shall hug in the sha- BLLLLLLLARGH!!! MY ARMS!! MY ARMS!! THEY'RE MEEELTING!!!

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:43:57 pm »

I have a couple of doubts regarding this wing of Dwarven Engineering:

- Is water generated only on the edges of the map, or also the ocean floor?
- Can walls stack on top of each other when you drop them on the ocean?

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 05:10:05 pm »

The problem with poldering is that, as I mentioned, it leaves fugly walls all over my ocean.
The dwarved H2-O-Smasher sounds like an idea though. I may have to make a few more mechnic workshops...

Variance

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's scare some woodcutters, Billy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 05:22:11 pm »

I have a couple of doubts regarding this wing of Dwarven Engineering:

- Is water generated only on the edges of the map, or also the ocean floor?
- Can walls stack on top of each other when you drop them on the ocean?

-Only the edges. The seabed is just a different-looking type of soil.
-No, because they break up into their components when you drop them at all. In the case of walls, they would just become stones or blocks on the bottom of the ocean, which don't block water at all.
Why is everyone so angry?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 05:30:12 pm »

I've thought of trying this for a while, but I haven't really come up with an idea of how to get the domes to the ocean floor.

It seems to me the only option is to drain the whole thing. As for that, I've seen posts in here that say that it's possible to drain infinite amounts of water into an aquifier. Now, I don't know if this is true or just old information, but it would be worth a try if you have an aquifier.
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: [1] 2 3