Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A city inside a mountain  (Read 2951 times)

Archonex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A city inside a mountain
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 06:29:25 pm »

I actually did something like this a long time ago.  Apparently, in the build I had, if you dug out the top of a mined out cavern and exposed it to sun then grass could grow there. 

The catch was was that I was in an arctic/glacier environment where it was physically impossible for "green" terrain to grow outside.  I ended up deconstructing and reconstructing a massive portion of the mountain out of ice blocks and having a "biodome" in the middle of the arctic wastes that looked like I was in a temperate or tropical environment, albeit with some areas being snowy, grass covered areas too, due to snowfall covering the grass before I could construct the ceiling.  I imagine the place looked like something out of a James Bond movie.

Ironically, it's now an underwater indoors biodome filled with greenery now, too, since I really screwed the pooch on my water pumping idea.  So there's an indoor lake littered with the skeletons of drowned dwarves in the mountain now.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:31:30 pm by Archonex »

Yuu_Inohara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:06:56 pm »

I actually did something like this a long time ago.  Apparently, in the build I had, if you dug out the top of a mined out cavern and exposed it to sun then grass could grow there. 

The catch was was that I was in an arctic/glacier environment where it was physically impossible for "green" terrain to grow outside.  I ended up deconstructing and reconstructing a massive portion of the mountain out of ice blocks and having a "biodome" in the middle of the arctic wastes that looked like I was in a temperate or tropical environment, albeit with some areas being snowy, grass covered areas too, due to snowfall covering the grass before I could construct the ceiling.  I imagine the place looked like something out of a James Bond movie.

Ironically, it's now an underwater indoors biodome filled with greenery now, too, since I really screwed the pooch on my water pumping idea.  So there's an indoor lake littered with the skeletons of drowned dwarves in the mountain now.

Wow, thats pretty sweet.

Anyway, attempt 1, failure, I managed to make a shelter fort as I carved out the inside, and then hit a point where I ran out of drink... And I had been hoping to find the level with the aquifer on it by now, no such luck, though, the ensuing tantrum spiral seems to have gotten its own engraving

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fortess Overview, pardon the crappy camera work.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1255-mountaincityattempt1

at the time of the recording about half the dwarves were insane and beating each other to death with their own pants, and half dying of thirst
Divide by zero and sacrifice some of the players to Armok probably. Though this would be somewhat cool to have around.
Oh, Toady already does such things on a regular basis. I think he calls it 'Tuesday'.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 03:44:59 am »

I make a mountain within a mountain. I use it for training. I will make a fort then when i get bored i will make an 'arena' that is craved inside the ground witch looks like a mountain. I use it for military and leisure uses.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)
Pages: 1 [2]