Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any way to lower the cost (stone) of built walls and floors?  (Read 1309 times)

Yssago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to lower the cost (stone) of built walls and floors?
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:21:44 am »

Now that I finally "get" the game, I'd like to attempt doing something crazy.
Something like a huge above-ground fortress...

I'd be ready to designate all those walls and floors for building if it wasn't for the fact that I'd seen several thousands of stone units to build the whole thing. Add the time for digging and hauling that stone and I'll die of old age before it's half-done.

Is there any way to mod the game to tell a dwarf that he can grab a stone and build, maybe, 10 tiles of floors or walls with it?

Search bar and the wiki didn't help me with that. :'(

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to lower the cost (stone) of built walls and floors?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:25:21 am »

Nope.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:12:19 pm »

Just add a reaction that produces free stone blocks instead.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:31:01 pm »

hm, embark on a mountain, dig into the mountain for stone (like strip mine) and just build it little bits at a time, oh and don't accidentally cause the entire thing to cave in like I did with my tower once...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:32:44 pm »

You should get plenty of stone just by playing the game normally.  If you aren't . . . well, practice more before starting a megaproject.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 03:43:59 pm »

easy! when building an above ground building, make a mirror of it underground. It'll look neat AND give you the right amount of stone. (leave a few supports!)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Yssago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 03:50:12 pm »

Thanks for the tip Caz, I managed to create a reaction that gives me 50 block every time.
Took me an hour of trial and error to get it right. :D

And getting the stone is not the problem, I know it's plentiful.
But digging and hauling over 30000 units of stone will take forever and that's no fun.
Remember, games are meant to be fun!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 03:52:28 pm »

sure its fun, you just invent a horribly complex way of doing it!

and barbrossa... you just gave me an excellent idea for the 'nuke' button :D

Angellus

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 04:28:33 pm »

Thanks for the tip Caz, I managed to create a reaction that gives me 50 block every time.
Took me an hour of trial and error to get it right. :D

And getting the stone is not the problem, I know it's plentiful.
But digging and hauling over 30000 units of stone will take forever and that's no fun.
Remember, games are meant to be fun!
... is'nt that what migrants are for?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 04:50:48 pm »

Yeah dude.  You only need a small stockpile near where you're building the thing.  Only so much can be built at a time, after all, and by the time that's built, some of those migrants will already have that stockpile re-filled.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:08:08 am »

LOL I am sorry but he is right, I was producing green glass at my magma forges WAY faster than I could get it to the front line stockpile when I was building my mega green house.
150 haulers were being overworked by 2 glass makers and a few engineers laying the blocks.  Then when the glass makers ran out of sand in the stockpile nearby there was a LARGER hauler deficit.

The hauling is the bottle neck, not the builders or the production teems if you have your stockpiles well placed.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 05:09:39 pm »

If you have at least five magma glass furnaces each set to have five repeating collect sand jobs and five repeating create green glass block jobs, along with several glass makers, you get a very large number of blocks very quickly.  I never have hauling problems with that, for some reason.
Just so I remember

punkideas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:04:41 am »

After about a decade of building my above ground fortress by mining and hauling stones to stockpiles, I switched to obsidian farming.  It's turned out to be faster, and I am producing it just about as fast as I can make it.  I use blocks for any room where value matters, otherwise I just use raw stone.  If you wanted to make it "fair" you could use a smelter reaction of one stone to three blocks or something like that.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:57 am »

If you have at least five magma glass furnaces each set to have five repeating collect sand jobs and five repeating create green glass block jobs, along with several glass makers, you get a very large number of blocks very quickly.  I never have hauling problems with that, for some reason.

My favorite element of this is that if the construction gets backed up, the production slows down as the workshops get cluttered. It's a nice, if unintended, feature. I do the same thing with my smelters. Rather than build a bar stockpile and give my haulers even more work, I let them pile up. When my metalsmith goes on break, my furnace operator takes it easy. Very realistic, when you think about it.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 07:06:00 pm »

No, I have a stockpile.  It has bins in it.  This way, while I wait for stuff in the bins to get used, more bins are filled.  This means almost constant construction.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2