Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Modding Features Aggregator  (Read 1558 times)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Modding Features Aggregator
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:47 am »

There are large areas of this game which are not open to modification by players at this time.  Of course, we are able to put modding features up on the eternal suggestion voting or in the suggestions board, but then it mixes in modding and actual gameplay feature requests.  I think that mods are a major reason that dwarf fortress is able to retain popularity while Toady is working on the next big feature, and as such deserves more specific attention.  To that end, I would like to use this thread to do two things; Track exactly what can already be modded, and to discuss what new modding features would help the modding community out the most.

My hope is that Toady can use this thread to judge what to expose to us sooner, rather than later.  I will eventually collect votes on possible features, and show them, somehow.

I will use the second post in the thread to keep track of what information we've gathered.  It will be an empty post at first, but I will take some time to fill in a lot of what we already know we can do, or will be able to do in the next release.  If there's a debate about how something should be exposed, please take the debate out of this thread and just post a link to it here.  I will transfer the link to the main post.  Participation would be greatly appreciated.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Modding Features Aggregator
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:43:03 am »

Potential Modding Features

Functional

All Reactions
Eventually, all reactions should be exposed for modding.

Fear Behaviour
Some control over what causes fear, at what range, and how the species reacts would allow for greater racial differentiation.

Graphical

Existing Modding Features

In 0.40d

Smelter Reactions
Raw materials can be turned into other raw materials through new reactions, but it is not possible to add new end products.

Creature Graphics
Graphics can be used to customize the appearance of creatures.

Next release

Entity Positions
Civilization leaders and nobles can be defined in the raws.

Creature Material Composition
Creature bodies can be composed of any materials, which should behave appropriately

Material Definitions Enhanced
Material physical properties are defined in much more detail.

More Reactions Exposed
Alchemist, Tannery and Kitchen reactions are exposed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:43:24 am by RantingRodent »

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:47:58 am »

I think modding after the next update will be good, all the material layers hair etc.
"Who's John Galt?"

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:53:33 am »

I think modding after the next update will be good, all the material layers hair etc.

For Fortress mode, I don't think material modding really changes anything.  The two modes are affected by different things.  I actually think the Positions changes have more effect on fortress mode than materials changes, especially without any changes to workshops to really take advantage of new materials.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:35:52 pm »

For Fortress mode, I don't think material modding really changes anything.  The two modes are affected by different things.  I actually think the Positions changes have more effect on fortress mode than materials changes, especially without any changes to workshops to really take advantage of new materials.

The material system will change things a lot.  Being able to use any of the material properties in any context opens up gigantic possibilities.  Also, the Alchemist's, Tannery and Kitchen are getting opened up for reaction mods.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:22:55 am »

you do know that toady doesn't read the modding forum? :(

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:29:06 am »

somone could link him to this though

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:07:34 am »

Dunno what the rules are on crossposting, but maybe a cross post to the suggestion forum once this gets off the ground. With that said, I like the idea of this topic ^^

How should other modders contribute? Post about things we want to be able to mod? Or maybe start listing things we can already mod?

Basically, I'd like more reaction files. I wanna be able to edit more workshops.

I also would like access to glass, with the ability to add more types of glass, and mess with what is required to make it.

Example: I mod the Masonry shop to turn certain kinds of stone into '[stonename] pebbles], which can then be taken to, say, the mill where they are turned into '[stonename] course sand]', which I could then run through the mill again to get 'stonename sand', which I could then take a glass furnace to make 'Pink Glass whatever' out of.

Short term: Being able to assign quality levels to something produced at the smelter would be nice. Being able to assign quality levels to anything produced anywhere in the future would also be nice. In the case of an assigned quality level, the assigned quality level would override whatever the dwarf would have given it, even if it was better.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I want more control over what my dwarves are scared of. I'd like to be able to play with what constitutes dangerous terrain. I'd like to mess with how close something needs to get before the dwarf gets scared.

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:25:54 pm »

I'd like to see a token that lets creatures do disgusting things in adventure mode, like eat chunks/limbs and lap up blood of it's body.
"Who's John Galt?"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:36:58 pm »

you do know that toady doesn't read the modding forum? :(

Maybe it's due to PMs, but he has answered questions in this forum in the past. I remember him giving us the details on how all the Spheres related a while back.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 05:38:15 am »

Sinergistic:
Cross-posting should generally be avoided.  Just post a quick synopsis and a link to the original thread.  I'll put the link in the OP.

It's my hope that all modders can contribute the things they want to mod, that's the top priority.  I would also like to have the full list of things that can be modded.  I think would be very helpful to the new modder.

I'm going to include a general item for adding reactions raws for all workshops, that should cover your first.
Can you give an example of where assigned quality level would be useful?

GoreTaco:
Doesn't [BONECARN] already have this effect?

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 05:46:51 pm »

Sinergistic:
Cross-posting should generally be avoided.  Just post a quick synopsis and a link to the original thread.  I'll put the link in the OP.

It's my hope that all modders can contribute the things they want to mod, that's the top priority.  I would also like to have the full list of things that can be modded.  I think would be very helpful to the new modder.

I'm going to include a general item for adding reactions raws for all workshops, that should cover your first.
Can you give an example of where assigned quality level would be useful?

GoreTaco:
Doesn't [BONECARN] already have this effect?
[BONECARN] allows one to eat bones, not to think its perfectly ok to carry around the heads of elven children to eat later...
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE