Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What style of gameplay do you want?

PVP Capture the flag, two teams fight to gain the others artifact.
- 9 (42.9%)
Adventuring team (A-team), All adventurers are on the same side working as a team to kill the monsters infesting the dungeon and recover the artifact (monsters will be controlled by me).
- 5 (23.8%)
Orignial PVP treachury game, like the last except better.
- 3 (14.3%)
One versus all, One player is a powerful demon fighting against a team of adventurers
- 3 (14.3%)
RTD crossed with TSLLT.
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TSLLT2: Planning stages.  (Read 4274 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TSLLT2: Planning stages.
« on: February 22, 2009, 04:50:04 am »

This isn't really a forum game but it is for the planning of one so i figured this is the best place for the topic. It is planning the successor to Treasure sounds a lot like treachery located here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29990.0.

Game style

PVP capture the flag:
Very similar to the last style of game except teams are fixed. Each team could have a special weapon or special abilities. Additionally to increase the treachery factor I could do as inaluct suggested and add a mercenary group.

A-Team:
All adventurers will have to work together to make it through the dungeon I set up to reach the artifact and escape with it alive. It will be pretty similar to the last game minus the treachery. Players will be fighting against multiple weaker monsters that I control and move around at the end of the turn. To increase chances of survival, I will include a leveling system so that as you fight you become stronger. Guarding the artifact will be a boss, so those earlier level ups will help.

Original style:
Very similar to the last game except with added features like new classes, weapons and map features.

One versus all:
One player will get to be a marauding demon (or megabeast of their choice) with the aim of killing all adventurers. The adventurer's goal is obviously to kill the demon. Team work will be critical and so will the utilization of special abilities. After the demon player is dead, he/she will drop an artifact. From there the game will continue on like a normal TSLLT.

RTD/TSLLT:
I don't know how I am going to do this, will need some suggestions but I do like the idea of it.

New weapons

Pike
As inaluct suggested, the pike will let you attack players two squares away from you. 1d8 -1 move penalty seams about right.

Whip
The whip can not kill enemies it is more of a paralyzing pain attack. Thus it is only really useful when used in coordination with team members. A 1d8 + 3 to attacking rolls sounds about right seeing as a win will not actually kill the enemy player. A whip can however kill a paralyzed enemy.

Dagger
For the deceiving rogue of a player. This weapon is the backstabbers best choice. With only a 1d4 roll it is weak but it also gives you a +2 movement bonus as well as an attack from back bonus of +3 (on top of the enemies -3).

New classes
When choosing his weapon, the player may also choose a class.

Mechanic
Has three mechanisms at his disposal to set up three separate traps. Traps can be set of by anyone walking over them and will be visible to all. If a non allied player walks through a mechanic's trap, I will flip a coin. Heads the trap is triggered and does damage, tails the trap jams. Any mechanic also has the ability to remove a trap.

Rogue
Is not affected by traps and can also walk through an enemy player's square even if they are defending a tight corridor. Needs further abilities but I can't really think of any.

Warrior
Plus one modifier to all melee rolls.

Mage
Has a special long ranged immobilization attack much like a crossbow. This attack does not need a unobstructed path and has less of a range penalty. The attack however will not kill enemies, it can only stun them making them vulnerable to attack.

Marksman
If equipped with a crossbow, can fire two shots (instead of one) in one turn by sacrificing all of his movement.
If equipped with a melee weapon, can throw said weapon by sacrificing all movement.

Other stuff
I am thinking about adding other things such as armor, sheilds, dodging and leveling but I feel that this would be too much and over complicate the whole game. Something I do want to add however is the weapon stand, where players can swap their weapons to something they find more useful given the situation.
I am also wondering about how I am going to work the the lives system. Should I have it like it previously was where each player has a life the is decided upon in a single battle then sent back to the start or have it where players can gradually lose their health. The health thing would be nicer but I don't think it would work very well when player move about.

Anyway, feel free to add your own suggestions and vote in the poll even if you don't intend on playing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:31:37 pm by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TSLLT2: Planning stages.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:33:42 am »

I reckon option one could have some pretty cool implications for a game that is more or less based on backstabbing people.

Don't like the last option, as most of the fun in an RTD is doing whatever the hell you want. TSLLT's rules just get in the way of that.

As for the others... eh, sure, why not.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 05:46:11 am »

I really like the idea of one versus all.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:21 am »

Lol, so far 4 votes for 4 different styles :)

I liked the original, and the "politics" that came with it.

But more movement == more combat action == more fun.

And please for the love of god and all that is holy spell rogue right...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:29:43 am »

I think I came when I read Dagger/Rogue AND NOT DAGGER/ROUGE BECAUSE ROUGE IS A COLOR AND NOT A CLASS.

But seriously.

R>..<W.

Rogue: Right six times, face left, stab

....<WR

I want this so much.

Also, could we have One-Versus-All modified into One-Versus-Team1-Versus-Team2?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:48:39 am »

I picked the capture the flag option, although fighting a titan would be interesting, too.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:18:00 pm »

My vote for CTF my favourite in all types of games  ;)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 12:21:06 pm »

I think that the mechanic might not get picked much if there's a limit on mechanism number. How about allowing mechanics to build a mechanism by spending a full turn doing nothing, maybe in a certain area?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:53:47 pm »

Sigh. Your name seems to have more meaning than my poor attempt at starting one. I'll keep it going it, as soon as I get my laptop back!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:37:42 pm »

And please for the love of god and all that is holy spell rogue right...

*Cringes, then quickly runs off for to edit the OP*

Anyway, on the subject of a rogue, do you think he needs any further abilities or is what it is set as now fine? I was thinking, maybe the rogue should have a better defense against stabs in his own back with a minus -2 instead of -3. As a nimble rogue would usually be able to hear the attacker coming and swivel round to defend just in time.

Anyway, if someone chooses to be a rogue then almost everyone else will be much more weary of teaming up with that player.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:38:08 pm by A_Fey_Dwarf »

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 11:35:09 pm »

all of them sound fun, I'll join up if you make a game ^_^.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 11:39:07 pm »

I've been meaning to get into one of these structured forum games, but all of'em were always full. If this becomes a game, I'll give it a go!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:01:31 am »

In case this isn't clear enough. This topic is supposed to be a suggestions topic. Please suggest weapons, classes and map features you think will improve the game.

Other status effect ideas that I might add (but probably not):
Berserk mode, If a player is provoked into a berserk mode(maybe by class ability) they gain a +2 to all attacking rolls but will no longer be able to control their character for three turns. Instead, I will control your character for you trying to wreck as much havoc as possible and attacking the closest players.
Martial Trance, Like berserk mode except the player can control their dwarf. These moods could be triggered by a magical attack from the mage.
Knock backs, A player with a bludgeon weapon can knock enemy players back a square.
Poisoned, Reduces movement of player for a couple of turns.

Map features:
Fortifications have already been suggested and I will probably add these to the next map. I will also include pits which players can shoot across but not walk across. Also maybe bridges can be built by an engineer (using one of his mechanisims). With the addition of bridges should also come levers. I feel that bridges are not going to complicate things up as much as the status effects above (because I can actually add them to the map) so will likely be included.

Players wishing to join have too wait until I start the game. I don't really want to create a sign up list now and when the game finally starts half of those on the list forget about the fact they signed up (What happened to my succession games). Anyways, thanks for the compliments and anticipation.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 12:22:12 am »

Maybe for a team game make a buffing class and a debuffing class?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:04:15 am »

Maybe for a team game make a buffing class and a debuffing class?

The current mage is pretty debuffing (total stun). Perhaps a priest class? Both mage and priest can only wield a crap weapon for short-range fighting and defense (Quarterstaff?). Priest can heal units within a certain range, and encourages team-playing. In a free-for-all-backstabgame no-one will choose mage or priest though, since neither is lethal.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: [1] 2