Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weather, important?  (Read 698 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Weather, important?
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:45:08 pm »

I'm trying everything I can to maximize my fps, since my comp starts to chug whenever I get to like 70 or so dorfs.

does weather do anything I'm gonna miss? the wiki only mentions rain and snow which I can do without, and it nets me like 5-10 more fps having it off.

i realllly wish I could turn off temperature. it gets me another 20-30 fps but makes my magma useless :(

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weather, important?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:45:03 pm »

Well, I hear rain will refill murky pools now. I think there might be some thoughts tied to it.

Nothing really major, I think.

i realllly wish I could turn off temperature. it gets me another 20-30 fps but makes my magma useless :(

Only for purposes of burning - magma smelters and the like will still work fine.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:58:43 pm »

I've had temperature turned off since the 2D version. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything major, and 30 FPS is serious stuff.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:23:43 am »

Dwarves don't like being caught out in the rain or in snowstorms.  Rain refills pools.  There's supposedly some modelling of rain and moisture and etc in terms of how plants grow, but I don't know enough about the details.

You need temperature for fires to work properly, and for water to freeze.  I thought it was still bad news to take a dunk in lava, even when temperature is off, but I might not have actually tested that.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 04:46:44 am »

dorfs will drown in lava with temperature off. i tested it immediately after i found out you could turn off the temperature. however i still need things to burn cause that's how i clean my sparring room floor of all the damn discarded clothing.

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:33:32 pm »

do you need to recreate a world to change temperature? or changing it immeidately change the result in-game?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:09:47 pm »

immediately. it's in the init.txt file. you can turn if on and off, all you need to do is restart DF.

after realizing this i'm gonna run with it off whenever it doesn't matter (most of the time) and flip it on for magma incineration