Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neverending Siege  (Read 1431 times)

Egil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neverending Siege
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:39:55 pm »

I'm not sure wether this is a bug or not. If it is I guess this thread should probably be moved, but anyway, here goes:
About a year ago (fortress time) I was seiged by some gobbos, but after they were all slain the siege-tag wouldn't go away. I have checked wether or not some gobbos remain on the map, hidden away somewhere where they can't pathfind their way to my fortress, but the unit screen says that besides my dwarves and their pets the only living things on the map are four troglodytes. However the game still seems to believe I'm under siege. No caravans or migrants have arived in the past year.
So is there something I'm missing, and is there something I can do about this situation? I have a pretty good fort going now, and I don't want to give it up, but things get boring if no caravans, migrants or new attackers arive.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Neverending Siege
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:48:09 pm »

Check the map carefully for permanently floating goblins (i.e. goblins with a light blue background).  They might not show up in the unit list, or might show up as deceased.  If you find one, there's a solution to your problem, though it's a bit complicated.

FoboslC

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:25:45 pm »

EWven better - use dwarf manager. Check the unit list, and hurt all the gobbos, twice so they die.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:07:38 pm »

I don't know if it's possible but if the siege was drawn-out there might have appeared some ambushers that are sneaking around... but i don't think that's it

Egil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:32:11 am »

Tried all of the above with no result, so I guess it's got to be bug of some sort. Ah well losing is fun!
Thans for the help anyway.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:09:14 am »

Hi!

Bad news I bring. I recall having heard of this bug repeatedly (actually, I thought it was back in 2D that I heard about it first). I was 'lucky' searching through the bug list:

# 000363 □ [dwarf mode][invasions]   (Report) siege flag never went away

As you can see, there is also a thread in the bugs forum:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19787.0

You may wish to look at it, but it does not seem to provide a workaround or solution.

Sorry that I can't deliver happier news. See the bright side: That seems to be a relatively rare bug, so you were really lucky to get hit by it against all odds :) :) :)

Deathworks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:13:58 am by Deathworks »

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:24:02 pm »

Check the map carefully for permanently floating goblins (i.e. goblins with a light blue background).  They might not show up in the unit list, or might show up as deceased.  If you find one, there's a solution to your problem, though it's a bit complicated.
What's that solution?  I have a flying goblin that won't go away.  It isn't stopping further attacks or anything, but it's still annoying.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:29:04 pm »

My experience: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25838.0
Me helping Warlord with the same problem: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27140.0

Basically you use Dwarf Companion to remove the "projectile" state from the goblin, except the bit flags seem to be mislabeled so you just have to uncheck all of them, which should result in the goblin falling to the ground.  Actually finding the goblin in the list can be tricky though, since he might be labeled as dead already.

edit: the relevant flag is labeled 0x1.4
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:44:57 pm by Footkerchief »

Egil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »

Thanks Deathworks :) Sad as it is to see the fort go it had to happen sometime, and I've moved on to a new fort, it will be a sweet one.
At least the bug is rare then, hopefully I won't see it again.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »

Thank you!  Dwarf Companion finally did the trick! ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 03:38:38 pm »

Woot.