Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Searchin' for something new...  (Read 2369 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Searchin' for something new...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 06:44:04 am »

I HAVE WC3 and the expansion.  The problem is that it's a few thousand miles away from me right now, and this machine probably wouldn't run it anyway.  I never played DoTA, but I did play the Blizzard-released Halloween map that featured some of the same gameplay, as well as some cheap advertising for WoW.  That was my favorite map for a while, in no small part due to the fun theme.

Gang Garrison...  I have earned a certain level of distaste for TF2 after it went batshit with those achievements.  Other than the TF2 theme, what is it that makes GG better than Soldat?

I was talking with my folks not too long ago, and arranged for my copies of Baldur's Gate and the sequel to be shipped out to me, along with a T-shirt and some corn nuts.  Perhaps a bit optimistic to believe that it's actually possible to get a few of the forumites together for a good BG run, but if not then at least I can have some fun with it.  Probably should've asked for Dungeon Keeper while I was at it...

Heh, I remember quite clearly what the favorite part of Warcraft 3 was to me...  The editor.

The base game was a twitchy micromanagement hell, but with that beautiful editor you could turn it into whatever you damn well wanted.  I started trying to reverse-engineer some racing map and make a game where you played a marine blasting his way through an alien-infested base (all the models were there, and the racing map featured guns, ammo, and approximately the kind of movement system that I wanted).  Never quite made it though, since the Blizzard maps (this racing game was one of them) all featured weird ways of getting at the scripts instead of just having it in the editor.  I couldn't figure out what was going on.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 12:52:39 pm »

Unlike soldat, the people aren't all insanely good. There's no instakill. And it's populated with a lot of B12ers.

Also, it has a lot of charm and no achievements

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 05:16:14 pm »

GG2 isn't like TF2 except for the same theme. 2D vs 3D, fun vs stupid, Quote vs generic characters.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 06:16:36 pm »

See, it even has mindless fanboys. It's great!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 08:28:07 pm »

I don't know of any turn-based (or semi turn-based, such as giving you time to make all your decisions but letting the action flow in real time) strategy games that would really be what I'm looking for, and I'm not even sure I could describe one well enough to find it without just having to play it first.  I basically want the "thinking time" of a TBS with the action of an RTS.

Close Combat III.

CLOSE COMBAT III.

CLOSE COMBAT III.

You get TONS of time to think...and sometimes you spend it suspiciously staring at those trees, just SURE that the enemy is going to pop out of them.  It's micromanagement-light though.  A big part is maneuvering people into place and doing things at the right time--following your commander's instinct that is, not like a puzzle game.

Essentially you have like ten squads to order around.  They do some of their own thinking, so if they're running and get shot at, they hit the ground and crawl for cover.  And if you like being patient, it is VERY satisfying when you have an AT gun hidden in some trees, and you wait until the enemy's tanks all drive right past you, only opening fire when you have a clear line to all of their rear armor...Plenty of prep and thinking time, and then suddenly, three dead tanks.

I think III is the best of the series, so see if you can find a demo of that--helps that it's like ten years old so it'll run quite easily...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 06:21:55 pm »

Tried the CCIII demo just recently, can't say I'm particularly good at it.  I can't manage all those infantry units correctly, so I just get rid of as many of them as I can and then shove tanks to the front line.

Like I said, I'm a pathetic strategist.

Anyways, the problem has been solved for the foreseeable future.  I got my copies of Baldur's Gate and Shadows of Amn sent over from home, and I'm pretty sure this babe can handle them. 

Now, if I can just get these slacker forumites together for a game before school's finished...
Pages: 1 [2]