Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 810551 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 war-themed hat simulator!
« Reply #10725 on: December 03, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »

Critical hits do the same damage at any range, but explosive splash damage reduction still applies.  Also mini-crits aren't affected by damage fall-off but ARE affected by ramp-up (presumably to stop minicrits from being worse than a regular shot at close range).

The amby does seem a bit degenerate, some scripts can make it a pretty effective sniping tool.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: December 03, 2014, 07:53:01 pm »

The basic problem with the ambassador is why not just snipe?  The ambassador has a built in mechanic where it's not perfectly accurate unless you stand still and wait a significant amount of time between shots, so its about as long a delay as reloading a sniper rifle.  A sniper quickscoping and headshotting will score 150 damage instead of 102.  Which will one-shot five different classes unless they're overhealed.

Personally I prefer the diamondback.  Getting kills with the ambassador/diamondback is all about getting two accurate shots off as fast as possible, and diamondback has no fire speed penalty.  Also I suck at headshots.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:25 pm »

Snipers can't cloak or disguise to get into really awkward positions behind enemy lines.  Also the ambassador doesn't have to scope-in to land headshots, which is a tactical advantage.  You probably aren't going to get heavies (although you can annoy them a lot) but it can slaughter light classes all day (all you need is a headshot and then a snap bodyshot to kill them).

The Diamondback is one of those weapons that's good if and only if you are much better than everyone else on the server.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: December 03, 2014, 08:13:30 pm »

I love it when I Ambassador snipers who have discovered me. Feels so fucking great. I remember once most of the enemy team were snipers, and I had a fucking field day.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: December 03, 2014, 09:15:18 pm »

Snipers can't cloak or disguise to get into really awkward positions behind enemy lines.  Also the ambassador doesn't have to scope-in to land headshots, which is a tactical advantage.  You probably aren't going to get heavies (although you can annoy them a lot) but it can slaughter light classes all day (all you need is a headshot and then a snap bodyshot to kill them).

The Diamondback is one of those weapons that's good if and only if you are much better than everyone else on the server.

Yeah, Star's videos are great.  This is the dude who mained demoknight in 6v6 competitive games, remember.  So I'd take it with a grain of salt :P

Assuming you even know what I'm talking about.

I see what you're saying with DB but I don't entirely agree.  You underestimate the extent to which I am good at backstabs and bad at headshots.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: December 03, 2014, 09:39:22 pm »

I don't actually know what you're talking about, or what that one joke demoknight competitive video has to do with anything.  Are you talking about that one camping double-headshot video or something?

If you're getting loads of backstabs then great, but if you're at that point then it doesn't really matter what gun you take because you're walking over them regardless.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: December 03, 2014, 09:49:29 pm »

The ambassador has a built in mechanic where it's not perfectly accurate unless you stand still and wait a significant amount of time between shots, so its about as long a delay as reloading a sniper rifle.

You don't need to stand still to get perfect accuracy with any weapon. The first shot of anything is always perfect, even with something like a pistol or SMG, and after 1.25 seconds of not firing it'll reset and be perfectly accurate again. Even shotguns always have one perfectly precise pellet before bullet spread becomes a factor. The ambassador has an even faster cooldown of 0.95 seconds, and even has a special reticle that shows when shots are accurate again. The reason why you see so many spies standing still while using the ambassador is because it's harder to get an accurate shot at long range without a scope while moving quickly.

For reference, sniper rifles take 1.7 seconds between scoped shots, and 1.5 seconds between unscoped. It's only 1.9 seconds for an ambassador spy to fire two perfectly accurate shots, and the second one usually doesn't even need to be a headshot, meaning if it's close range most won't even wait the extra 0.25 seconds, making it only 1.65 seconds to kill a sniper. If the sniper misses their first scoped shot, the spy has a huge advantage.

edit: maths hard
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:55:31 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: December 03, 2014, 09:59:09 pm »

That feature is newer than the Ambassador, which is why the ambassador has the special crosshair. The Ambassador is significantly less accurate than other revolvers when on cooldown.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: December 03, 2014, 10:16:36 pm »

Also worth noting that the 1.9 seconds for two shots is assuming they both miss the first one (otherwise the sniper's time to kill is always just 0.2), so if the sniper misses and the spy hits their first one, it's 1.7 for the sniper to try again and only 0.95/0.7 for the spy to finish him.

Is the ambassador really less accurate than other revolvers while bullet spread is in effect? They're all so inaccurate, I guess I never noticed. It always does amaze me when spies try to rapid fire with it, considering it's only 0.25 seconds to wait. But hey, if it's close range and the sniper missed, they're almost certainly dead anyway.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: December 03, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »

The main disadvantage of the Ambassador back when it came out was that it had more bullet spread than the Revolver (the only alternative at the time). The revolver is actually pretty accurate.

Of course, that disadvantage was quickly replaced with it not doing as much damage as the revolver ever due to a slight buff to revolver damage making Ambassador's minicrits on headshot completely worthless.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:41 pm »

Realistically you're blindsiding them (due to the fact that you are a spy and they are a sniper, you should not be expecting to beat a sniper at their own game) and unless they can turn around and score a headshot in under 0.7 seconds (the time it takes for you to kill them with your followup bodyshot) their fire-rate and damage output is irrelevant.

Note that if you tried to do the same thing with the stock revolver they'd have more like 1.8 seconds since you'd need to hit them at least 4 times.
Of course, that disadvantage was quickly replaced with it not doing as much damage as the revolver ever due to a slight buff to revolver damage making Ambassador's minicrits on headshot completely worthless.
It's not a mini-crit, it's a full crit.  102 damage in one burst from long range is not worthless.  It's also better DPS-wise as long as you can hit headshots fairly often.

I find it much, much easier to hit headshots without scoping - the scope requires you to either know where your opponent is going to be in advance or stay in a slow and vulnerable state while scope-aiming.  Without the scope it's just a trickier normal shot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:55:25 pm by Leafsnail »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: December 03, 2014, 11:01:09 pm »

It was a mini-crit at some point. I was referring to that point.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: December 03, 2014, 11:07:13 pm »

I guess, but it was changed to full-crits 5 days after its introduction.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: December 04, 2014, 10:43:59 am »

Realistically you're blindsiding them (due to the fact that you are a spy and they are a sniper, you should not be expecting to beat a sniper at their own game) and unless they can turn around and score a headshot in under 0.7 seconds (the time it takes for you to kill them with your followup bodyshot) their fire-rate and damage output is irrelevant.

Note that if you tried to do the same thing with the stock revolver they'd have more like 1.8 seconds since you'd need to hit them at least 4 times.
It's not a mini-crit, it's a full crit.  102 damage in one burst from long range is not worthless.  It's also better DPS-wise as long as you can hit headshots fairly often.

I find it much, much easier to hit headshots without scoping - the scope requires you to either know where your opponent is going to be in advance or stay in a slow and vulnerable state while scope-aiming.  Without the scope it's just a trickier normal shot.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: December 04, 2014, 12:00:52 pm »

People that are good with the amby will usually use it when things go bad and they need to kill somebody and then GTFO.

On another subject, I have accidentally done a social experiment on cp_steel.
I was playing gunslinger engie, as usual, and placed a teleporter next to the spawn, as usual.
However, while my team was attacking A and not doing a very good job of it, I went all the way around and built a teleporter exit behind the doors that open when you capture A.
This caused my entire team to use the teleporter and abandon A altogheter, and then shifted the focus of combat to that area. We lost very badly, obviously. And I couldn't stop laughing, because I had just actively caused my team to lose really, really badly.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 774