Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 814378 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Free To Play! Australian Christmas! "Merry Smissmas!"
« Reply #7590 on: December 17, 2011, 12:29:10 am »

Didn't the site say that you can only get the new stuff from crates for this week? Afterwards they're available for everyone, but for right now you gotta shell out cash for keys.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: December 17, 2011, 12:39:54 am »

Didn't the site say that you can only get the new stuff from crates for this week? Afterwards they're available for everyone, but for right now you gotta shell out cash for keys.
The new festive items can only come from crates. The pyro and engineer stuff you can randomly craft and find. Hopefully we get a recipe for them in a week when the festive stuff enters the random craft and drop lists.

The only iffy weapon I have experienced so far is the icicle, but if you have a halfway competent team for spychecking it isn't a problem. If you can take down cloaked spies 50% of the time as any class other than Pyro the pros of it are nulified.

Every other weapon is either weaker feeling or has some oddity to it not listed that keeps it from getting too useful. Like the wrench having a charge up time of a second and a half, or the pyro requiring a taunt before activating crit mode, or the new flare gun seeimgly working like the normal flare gun with a crit mechanic? I'm sure I was critted by that through being on fire, so I'll have to look into that one.

It's a fine update, my only beef is with the new map having a pretty rough transition from the second to center point.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: December 17, 2011, 04:47:56 am »

It doesnt feel like I am getting the double drop rate.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7593 on: December 17, 2011, 06:30:46 am »

The models fit with their package. And they're still in line, with the psedo 50-60s era that TF2 takes place in. These are just the retro future guns of the era.

And, playing with the new weapons, and being attacked by them. They aren't really OP. Wrench isn't an automatic get out of jail free card.

Pyro feels stronger with his new primary, but its range is shorter then the flamethrower (it feels like), and the "MMmm" bar, giving health and crits, is just reenforcing the ambush and dive in gameplay that's popular with the pyro. Pyros will often jump onto a point with tons of enemies, to set them all ablaze (fucking fun), and to hold off the point capture. This, just makes them more affective on their own, which the pyro generally is.

The handgun (for the pyro), isn't OP. Being able to extinguish with it, is nice, since you cant do it with the primary anymore. It even rewards you for doing so, by giving you mini crits for it. Which is nice, considering, that air blasting isn't rewarded in the game proper. (I personally like Servers that give server points for extinguishing team mates.)

I havent gotten to play with the axe very much yet. I got either borrow one again, or craft it. (And crafting this new weapons are /fucking/ expensive. I went through getting a class token, slot token and a scrap... and I got a fucking back burner.)

While does have futuristic tech in 50/60s packaging (eg medigun, engineer buildings) they do have a very different style to the Dr. Grordbort's items, being more 'spytech' than 'retro futuristic', but as I said this has been ignored and broken enough already to not be cared about.

Never said they were OP (but some are) and said I liked the wrench.

I liked the idea of a righteous bison type weapon for pyro but giving it extinguishing because the new flamethrower has no airblast (and no real airblast replacement...) and a gimmicky way of getting criticals based on it? Apparently it works a lot like the flare guns, which isn't very interesting. Third degree encourages medics to stop healing as a pyro with it attacks them, which I think is silly. Uber drain and cloak drain are bad ideas, and the new knife is a bit like the fire proof suit idea that people have often been bringing up and has kept being a horrible idea. It isn't quite as bad, but doesn't really have any downsides either...

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: December 17, 2011, 08:01:13 am »

Encouraging medics to occasionally stop healing and start shooting is good in my book. I don't like no-brainers much at all.

Which is good, my first drop of the week was that axe. Let's see just how annoying it really is.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: December 17, 2011, 08:22:58 am »

The models fit with their package. And they're still in line, with the psedo 50-60s era that TF2 takes place in. These are just the retro future guns of the era.

And, playing with the new weapons, and being attacked by them. They aren't really OP. Wrench isn't an automatic get out of jail free card.

Pyro feels stronger with his new primary, but its range is shorter then the flamethrower (it feels like), and the "MMmm" bar, giving health and crits, is just reenforcing the ambush and dive in gameplay that's popular with the pyro. Pyros will often jump onto a point with tons of enemies, to set them all ablaze (fucking fun), and to hold off the point capture. This, just makes them more affective on their own, which the pyro generally is.

The handgun (for the pyro), isn't OP. Being able to extinguish with it, is nice, since you cant do it with the primary anymore. It even rewards you for doing so, by giving you mini crits for it. Which is nice, considering, that air blasting isn't rewarded in the game proper. (I personally like Servers that give server points for extinguishing team mates.)

I havent gotten to play with the axe very much yet. I got either borrow one again, or craft it. (And crafting this new weapons are /fucking/ expensive. I went through getting a class token, slot token and a scrap... and I got a fucking back burner.)

While does have futuristic tech in 50/60s packaging (eg medigun, engineer buildings) they do have a very different style to the Dr. Grordbort's items, being more 'spytech' than 'retro futuristic', but as I said this has been ignored and broken enough already to not be cared about.

Never said they were OP (but some are) and said I liked the wrench.

I liked the idea of a righteous bison type weapon for pyro but giving it extinguishing because the new flamethrower has no airblast (and no real airblast replacement...) and a gimmicky way of getting criticals based on it? Apparently it works a lot like the flare guns, which isn't very interesting. Third degree encourages medics to stop healing as a pyro with it attacks them, which I think is silly. Uber drain and cloak drain are bad ideas, and the new knife is a bit like the fire proof suit idea that people have often been bringing up and has kept being a horrible idea. It isn't quite as bad, but doesn't really have any downsides either...

new flare for pyro is lower powered than the flaregun generally, 3rd degree requires that a pyro be good enough to take on a combo, its a skill/reward deal.  and whats the problem with engis being able to drop the level of cloak and uber?  slows down the idiot dr spys who think running strait in is tactical, and if the engi is able to get shots into a medic then good luck to him
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7596 on: December 17, 2011, 02:27:57 pm »

Goods medics already stop healing sometimes- where they want uber from the ubersaw or think needles would be more helpful than healing. Punishing them for continued healing to make them stop healing is a clumsy way to do further encourage it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: December 17, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »

Gimmicky seems to be a constant buzzword around Pyro that has lost all meaning to me when I look at every class as a whole. Unless people mean more functionality needs to be added to the vanilla Pyro class it's an utterly pointless term to use. Where one finds problems with multiple weapons working together with their strengths and weaknesses, I find good design.

The new engineer gun makes you completely unable to defend yourself at close range and a good medic for building ubers usually stays out of the line of fire of such attacks. When they reveal themselves they'll probably be ubered. If they are a combat medic that stays on the front lines their main focus is on healing, not uber. And finally they are slow projectiles that are difficult to utilize, and I don't think being hit by one part of the three-part shot will drain all 10%, probably 3.5% each.

Spy cloak can be hampered, but there is still quite enough to use what you have left to escape. Unless an engineer has you cornered and is chasing you, in which case just shoot him. He honestly can't out-damage you.

I'll agree that the spy knife could use some work, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. So long as he still shimmers when hit and people can track worth a damn most classes can still take him out no problem.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7598 on: December 21, 2011, 08:40:30 pm »

Update, and all the new weapons are now available for drop/crafting. All the maps have apparently been festivized. Everybody who has a premium copy of tf2 gets a free Secret Saxton, and a new misc item that tracks the number of gifts you give.

The dfc server has been updated for those who want to play this early in the morning.

edit: meh still no craft recipies for the new weapons.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:57:01 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: December 21, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »

Anyone having trouble getting into the game right now?

Also, I was a spy earlier and I got near an engie nest and suddenly started shimmering. Any idea what that was about?
EDIT: I still had half of my cloak left
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: December 21, 2011, 10:21:37 pm »

Also, I was a spy earlier and I got near an engie nest and suddenly started shimmering. Any idea what that was about?
EDIT: I still had half of my cloak left

Someone bumping into you from behind, or another spy bumping into you?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7601 on: December 22, 2011, 12:03:22 am »

As soon as the B12 server is full, I'm opening a pile o' gifts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: December 22, 2011, 12:04:57 am »

I dunno. That was probably it. I didn't see anyone behind me, though.

EDIT: nevermind found it
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7603 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:17 am »

Gift pile opened. Next year think I will publicize it more and maybe put aside several piles.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: December 22, 2011, 10:55:53 pm »

I've started playing this again. I guess I'll just get on the server and see what's up.

edit: there was one person on
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:01:32 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 774