Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 812866 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Mann-Conomy Update! "Here. Have an eagle."
« Reply #4950 on: October 19, 2010, 12:37:54 pm »

Well they fixed the multiple mini sentry glitch, at least that's what Valve says.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: October 20, 2010, 07:36:26 am »

I should play more TEE EFF TOO.

But... yeah, I'm generally online and able to hop on for five minutes to kick, ban or bitch at someone, so...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4952 on: October 20, 2010, 08:40:38 am »

Same here. I'm usually around most of the time so you can give me a shout.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: October 21, 2010, 02:28:29 pm »

Oh wow, after only two weeks the Polycount winners have each got around 40 000$ in "royalties". Huh, they probably didn't expect to get rich by modelling. At least in this way.

In other news, I managed to trade my Max's Hat (sniff) for a Milkman (yay!) and I got to say, that 25 health goes a pretty long way.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:31:55 pm by LASD »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: October 21, 2010, 03:33:13 pm »

Holy jesus cow... that's a lot of money for relatively little work.

That's the power of microtransactions for you. Now consider how much Valve made from doing NO work. :P

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: October 21, 2010, 05:09:22 pm »

I'd be slightly pissed if I was a pre-Mann-conomy Community weapon contributor that made a Polycount pack that didn't make it in (Larolaro, the creator of the Homewrecker, made the Tank Buster set). Now, pretty much everybody has the old Community weapons, so even when Valve eventually puts them into the shop, barely anybody will buy them.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: October 21, 2010, 05:51:50 pm »

Why would you be pissed? You'd still be earning money. Something's better than nothing.

They're making all old contributions and new ones accept a new ToS agreement that basically says you need a valid Paypal account and you have to accept Valve's agreement of how much they'll pay you and what schedule they'll pay you on.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: October 21, 2010, 07:15:47 pm »

True, you'll make less money if you were an old Community weapon designer... but hey, some money is better than no money, and when you originally submitted the model you were expecting the latter.  ;)

I'm also thrilled that there's that much money going around, because it makes developing high-quality models for TF2 a valid pastime for skilled modelers. $40,000 in two weeks is insane. True, there's no way future paychecks will be anywhere near that much, but even a tenth of that ($4000 per two-week period) would still be a very good wage in today's market - especially since you don't have to do any more work to earn that check!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: October 21, 2010, 07:21:51 pm »

They got that from making a few high-quality models. Holy fuck.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: October 22, 2010, 07:52:02 pm »

I think the only other system where people get money like that is the drug business.  Or maybe the oil business.  Anyways, obligatory addiction reference just to make you all feel terrible.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: October 22, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »

They got that from making a few high-quality models. Holy fuck.

And a whole bunch of low-quality ones.

I kid, I kid, but seriously, it's still impressive how many people bought those Polycount packs. Remember, they're only getting 25% of the total profit. That means that each one is making Valve over $100,000 per pack, and it cost them no money at all to make the models. That's not even getting into the non Polycount stuff that's for sale and how much that is earning Valve. Especially keys, I bet Valve's gotten an assload of money off of keys.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: October 22, 2010, 11:42:39 pm »

Still, Valve really needs to make a crafting thing for boxes already. Every time I see them I think I can combine a bunch for scrap metal.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: October 23, 2010, 12:20:41 am »

Still, Valve really needs to make a crafting thing for boxes already. Every time I see them I think I can combine a bunch for scrap metal.

Better yet, let us craft crates into keys.

I've heard myths that series one gives you a better chance of getting an unusual than series two. This is false, they have the same chances. Anybody who says otherwise is a scalper trying to sell off series one crates at cutthroat prices. Don't believe me? Check the Wiki.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: October 23, 2010, 06:42:51 am »

You guys are missing the point of crates, it's a simple sales tactic. You tell someone they already own something but they just have to pay you a little money to unlock it. Combine this with a very small chance of getting a very rare item and people are much more willing to spend money on keys, even when they wouldn't even consider buying anything else from the store.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: October 23, 2010, 12:50:19 pm »

For me crates are simply trade material. Each one costs 2.50 and we roll around with that. So around 4-8 crates for a hat or so.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 774