Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 812711 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Engineer Update OUT!: Gunslinger and Thunder Mountain.
« Reply #4275 on: July 10, 2010, 10:19:10 pm »

So I got to give the Gunslinger a try.

I don't think I'm switching back to normal sentries. Having insta-sentries is great, even if they are really weak. Consider it a pistol with good range that hits every shot.

People have to keep in mind that it's not to be used like normal senties. These ones aren't expected to last.

Oh, and I GOT A NEW HAT. IT'S THE TRICORN THING. FOR THE DEMOMAN. So now I have THREE FRIKKIN' hats for him.  ::)
High five. I have three hats for the engie. :P

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: July 10, 2010, 10:50:33 pm »

Yeah I have two hats for the medic, which I don't mind. One is the pickelhaube and the other is that little soft looking hat with the feather. I use the pickelhaube when I'm defending and the other one when I'm attacking.

You should hang on to your extra hats though, crafting two hats into one is a complete waste as far as I see it. If and when trading ever comes out, you'll easily be able to trade them for new ones. I think valve is just waiting for more community hats to get thrown into the mix before they introduce that. Actually, I think somebody posted that Valve was waiting on STEAM to do something before they could introduce trading. As in they already have their part ready, but Steam doesn't.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: July 10, 2010, 10:59:40 pm »

I thought Valve IS steam.
Valve MADE Steam.
But yes.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: July 10, 2010, 11:19:50 pm »

Oh, I get it. Steam is controlled by valves. Damn, that took me a while to get.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: July 10, 2010, 11:39:03 pm »

Yeah I have two hats for the medic, which I don't mind. One is the pickelhaube and the other is that little soft looking hat with the feather. I use the pickelhaube when I'm defending and the other one when I'm attacking.

You should hang on to your extra hats though, crafting two hats into one is a complete waste as far as I see it. If and when trading ever comes out, you'll easily be able to trade them for new ones. I think valve is just waiting for more community hats to get thrown into the mix before they introduce that. Actually, I think somebody posted that Valve was waiting on STEAM to do something before they could introduce trading. As in they already have their part ready, but Steam doesn't.

Of course, since Valve is in direct control of Steam, that means that only one of Valve's dev teams has their stuff ready.  :P

But yeah, odds are that any half-decent hat will be tradable 1:1 for any other half-decent hat. (You might have to re-process those silly hatless hats, though.)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: July 11, 2010, 12:13:21 am »

Sniper hatless hat is nice, gameplay wise. It actually reduces the number of pixels surrounding your head while being less noticable from a distance. If there's more than one sniper in equal conditions, as stupid as that sounds, odds are the sniper with the hat is going to get blasted first.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: July 11, 2010, 12:16:52 am »

Sniper hatless hat is nice, gameplay wise. It actually reduces the number of pixels surrounding your head while being less noticable from a distance. If there's more than one sniper in equal conditions, as stupid as that sounds, odds are the sniper with the hat is going to get blasted first.

Daaaamn, you're telling me this fugly "hatless Sniper" hat I got is tactically useful?

Ah well. It still looks like crud.  :'(

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: July 11, 2010, 12:18:50 am »

On the contrast, having an insanely large hat can fool the shooters into hitting the hat pixels and not the head binding box.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: July 11, 2010, 01:10:55 am »

On the contrast, having an insanely large hat can fool the shooters into hitting the hat pixels and not the head binding box.

I doubt anyone would really fall for that though...

QUICK!
TO SCIENCE.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4284 on: July 11, 2010, 01:12:15 am »

If I did want a headshot, I normally aim for the face, not the grey matter. Anatomy doesnt work when your head has a hitbox.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: July 11, 2010, 01:15:55 am »

I hate this trend of: You need the wrangler to get 3 achievements but we won't give you the wrangler until you unlock the achievement level 3 (17 of the engie's) for the Engineer.

Now that's just silly.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: July 11, 2010, 01:23:26 am »

I hate this trend of: You need the wrangler to get 3 achievements but we won't give you the wrangler until you unlock the achievement level 3 (17 of the engie's) for the Engineer.

Now that's just silly.

Pssst... you're making us old guys feel awkward. Remember when you needed 10/15/20 achievements to get items, instead of 5/10/15? (Or worse, 12/24/36 Medic achievements?)

And, just because I got one today and I'm feeling mean: the Wrangler is awesome. Besides insane rocket/bullet jumping, it's incredibly satisfying to blast people at insane distances. Several times now I've pinned a semi-intelligent Soldier against the wall, when he thought he could 'out-range' me. (Not to mention increased fire rate.  ;D )

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: July 11, 2010, 06:23:28 am »

I just got the Wrangler and was playing around with it on 2fort. I'd cart my level 3 sentry up to the front doors and plop it down, then wrangle it up to just lay down tonnes of fire, not really intent on killing so much as getting assists. Any time my sentry would start taking demo-spam or rocket fire, I'd immediately pack it up and fall back with it.

I think when it finally got destroyed I had something like 38 crits with my Frontier Justice. I immediately switched to offense and started putting those crits to good use.

Unfortunately, I only used about 20 of them before a random demo-spam crit got me, but damn, if it wasn't fun!

I'm thinking about using a wrangled level 3 sentry just to build up crits, then switching to Gunslinger for the extra health once a fair number has been accumulated.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: July 11, 2010, 07:01:53 am »

So I got to give the Gunslinger a try.

I don't think I'm switching back to normal sentries. Having insta-sentries is great, even if they are really weak. Consider it a pistol with good range that hits every shot.

People have to keep in mind that it's not to be used like normal senties. These ones aren't expected to last.
I'd like to last long enough to fire more than 3 shots.

Also interesting fact: The sentry takes 10 seconds to build. The mini sentry takes 1/4 of that. A moved T1 sentry takes half the time to build. Hitting it with a wrench halves that. A moved T1 sentry being hit by a wrench takes 1/4 of the time building it from scratch would to build.

Also it has 50 more health and double damage over the mini.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: July 11, 2010, 07:50:47 am »

Whenever I hear people talk about hats in tf2 I wonder what the effin eff is up with them. I mean naxza for instance.
I spent hours with this guy playing Neverwinter Nights, and I'd estimate he's a nice and intelligent person.

And then he lowers himself to talking about tf2 hats.

It's now more important than ever to know THIS. Dont give in, folks!
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 774