Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 790537 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

All you need to do is pop character detail to medium and you have it...

Still a somewhat adverse effect.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, not that easy.

After searching around a bit, I found the thing I was looking for. It's HWM models. When you have those things on, the characters will supposedly look as good and have as diverse facial expressions as in the "Meet the Team" videos.

Also, apparently mat_picmip, which defines the texture quality of the game goes under -1 (very high), In fact it goes all the way to -10, which should make the game look pretty damn nice.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

If it doesn't run at 0.01 FPS.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

I used to play on the secret ultra graphics settings. I'd get 25 FPS on my shitty rig.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Ehh....that's a little low for me.  I rather have at the lowest 40.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Any links to pages that tell you to set those ultra high settings? I tried googling without luck, course, I'm busy playing tf2 at the same time, so I'm hoping for someone's kindness.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

same. without the "playing tf2 atm" thing. but wtf ultra high?

I believe that one of the reasons Valve went with a cartoon style is because it is a video game, and unrealistic moments WILL happen no matter how good the engine. If the graphics are uberrealistic, then when something odd happens it will draw the player out of the game. But if the graphics are presented in a somewhat silly style, then when something silly happens the player's immersion isn't damaged.
The dev commentary has some very nice details about how and why they picked the 60ties advertisement cartoon style. And it does make sense. Seriously, obviously I cant say it enough:

LISTEN TO THE FRIGGIN DEV COMMENTARY, youll notice how every design decision falls into place. It just fits, it just makes sense. Those guys aren't dumb, at all.

The reason you mentioned wasnt mentioned in the commentary, but it definetly makes sense, too. No matter how hard you try, with todays hardware a character will never look 100% realistic, but games already try. Which is totally weird, and makes the average protagonist in a videogame look like some weird creepy doll. emphasis on creepy.

Until we get it down properly, we should actually focus on abstraction a bit more.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:26:02 pm by Puck »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  Heavies aren't meant to soak damage.
in fact, they are. they have this big hitpoint buffer so the medic has an easier time keeping them alive. even if "tanking" actually has no place in pvp (almost never ever, in almost no game) it has the ability to tank, for a reason. Again, dev commentary.

ooops, meant to nudge that in the above post, but screwed up.

Oh well, sue me  ;D

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Okay...Yeah, that's true.  ;D  The main advantage of being a heavy in a group, though, is that enemies will often not try to kill you first.  They aim for your medic, or they aim for the pyro with half your health...  while YOU get to go absolutely wild with your gun and mow down everything.  While other people are dodging rockets, you don't need to bother because shooting at you is a little pointless...shooting at a heavy means it takes more shots to lower the damage your team is dealing.

The first reaction to "omg pyro" is "KILL IT".  The gut reaction to "omg heavy" is "Get behind something!"  You kind of own the battlefield, especially indoors.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

The heavy crouching in the corner of the CP always gets me.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's speculate on new sniper weapons!

Okay, I was a big fan of leg shots in TFC.  There's kind of no point when you can just kill them with a headshot, but leg shots worked without being fully charged.  So my guess for the primary replacement is:  A rifle that takes 50% longer to charge, but can slow someone for three seconds if you shoot them in the leg when at least, iunno, 1/3 charged.

What do snipers hate...well, among other things, spies.  I'm going out on a real limb here and suggesting that snipers might get something to deal with that little spy problem while requiring more devoted teamwork.  Replace the machine gun with binoculars that don't zoom very hard, but can spot cloaked spies!  They DON'T tag them for your team...that's your job!  Voice chat makes it easy.  Hell, let's throw in enemy ubercharge % while we're at it.

That leaves the machete...though my binocs idea could easily have replaced the machete instead.  However, nobody likes giving up a melee weapon so let's keep it.  I'm guessing...  A BIGGER MACHETE.  As in, "THIS is a knife."  Snipers like charging shots, right?  Let them spend a second to charge up a swing for higher damage, or...  Let's say 50% crit chance.  Something along those lines.  Lets you take down a spy from the front or do a little back stabbin' of your own, makes you scary to an unprepared opponent, but dude, it's just a knife, they can back out of range if they want.

So my guesses are a Legshot Rifle, Binoculars, and a Bigger Knife.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem with the knife is that they don't want a replacement, they want an alternative.

You didn't say anything that would make some people favor the old one over the new.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmm.  Can ONLY charge up your melee shot then, with no fast strikes.  That would make me really think twice about it.  Though to be honest it's really not all that different of a weapon in the end.  So that's the weakest of my ideas, yeah, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:25:19 pm by Sowelu »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The main advantage of being a heavy in a group, though, is that enemies will often not try to kill you first.  They aim for your medic, or they aim for the pyro with half your health... 
And that's exactly why there is so little room for actual tankers in pvp games, why would anybody shoot a damage sponge when there are glass cannons to break?  ;D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Yeah, like in CoH.  Everybody thinks tankers are the big bad guys that can take damage and dish it out, but in reality tankers are one of the weaker classes.  Blasters are the complete opposite, oh how much I hate blasters that think they are tankers, but oh well.  Maybe there's a reason for it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 774