Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 815391 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

He could always use a stolen tank cannon. Wouldn't surprise me.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

For some reason I imagine the new soldier melee weapon to be a P-38. 

As in the can opener. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

My dad is an old army vet so he would always give me them.  I kept them on my keychain and they were always really useful for just about anything. 

Anyway I imagine the soldier as one of those folks that could kill anybody with anything.  And for some reason I get a shudder of terror whenever I imagine him taking one out of his pocket.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

As in the can opener. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener
Hah! Got one of those on my keychain as well.
Haven't used it yet...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used it as a boxcutter, and a canopener mostly.  In a previous job I had to open a bunch of boxes full of parts every time I started a new part order, and in my first apartment I didn't own a real canopener.

I also used it only once as a screwdriver when I was at a friend's house helping with his computer.  Until then I had thought that everybody in the world owned at least one screwdriver.

Anyway before I kill the topic.  The soldier really needs a good traditional army weapon too.  Perhaps that one semi automatic rifle I see in stuff like call of duty all the time.  That one with the top loading clip that made a loud ding and popped out when out of ammo.  Soldier, along with the sniper seem to be the only classes that can really accomplish anything at range.  Perhaps keeping with that general idea, his shotty could be replaced with that rifle, and have a weak zoom.

Upside: Reliable long range damage, without having to "hope that scout keeps moving in a straight line for 2 seconds", faster firing rate than the sniper's rifle, crit on headshot.

Downside:close combat ability significantly reduced, no shot charge, weaker zoom than sniper rifle, no manual reload until clip ammo depleted.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:36:30 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

I feel the crit on headshots would be:
1) Overpowered to the max on an auto-firing hitscan weapon
2) Out-of-place. Headshot crit weapons are for the Sniper and the Spy - the "finesse" classes

I totally approve of the Tommy Gun idea though.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps keeping with that general idea, his shotty could be replaced with that rifle, and have a weak zoom.

Upside: Reliable long range damage, without having to "hope that scout keeps moving in a straight line for 2 seconds", faster firing rate than the sniper's rifle, crit on headshot.

Downside:close combat ability significantly reduced, no shot charge, weaker zoom than sniper rifle, no manual reload until clip ammo depleted.
Springfield M1 Garand?

Just for shits and giggles... you CAN reload that thing before the clip is empty no problem, afaik. And I think in tf2 it should come without zoom, but who cares  ;D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea I was unsure about the headshot thing myself.  But I was thinking it wouldn't do as much damage as the sniper rifle either.  Down to the point where a crit wouldn't OHKO anything but light classes. 

And with semi automatic I meant that you would still need to push the button to fire but without the delay the sniper's bolt action has.  Making it fire a bit faster but not fully automatic like the SMG.

I figured that in reality you could probably reload it (M1 Garand sounds right) but the inability to reload it made it interesting in those games, and I figure it could add some flavor. And since soldiers usually learn to reload regardless of remaining ammo whenever they get the chance it could be an interesting effect on a soldier.

And yes, I also like the tommy gun idea.  I would be happy with that too.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And with semi automatic I meant that you would still need to push the button to fire but without the delay the sniper's bolt action has.  Making it fire a bit faster but not fully automatic like the SMG.

So, like the scout's pistol. People make scripts (which they claim are perfectly legal) to auto-fire that for them. Then they basically hold down the mouse button and it rapid-fires the pistol.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't think about scripts.  I kinda hate them in TF2, rather people use skill than scripting to give themselves an advantage over the average player. But as far as I'm aware there is no way to enforce a no scripts policy.  So yea, I guess maybe the tommy gun would be a better choice.

Not to say there aren't legit uses for scripts.  And that one smashball mod is at least one game that actually seems to encourage the use of scripts.  But if your using things like the rapidfire script on a server where obviously nobody else is using it,  with a weapon not intended to be used in that way, and then responding to complaints with "Scripting is pro, l2play." you deserve a magma bath.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Classless update coming! Day 1: 18 Hats and a new Arena.
« Reply #774 on: August 11, 2009, 04:57:24 pm »

*Applies patches to the threads chest*    CLEAR!

Valve came out of their thinking chamber with a classless update about 5 minutes ago. Check it out!

Also, fun games at the DFC server, I think I'll dig up some epic killcams to post here.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:59:00 pm by LASD »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Classless update coming! Day 1: 18 Hats and a new Arena.
« Reply #775 on: August 11, 2009, 04:58:52 pm »

SWEEEEEEEET.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Classless update coming! Day 1: 18 Hats and a new Arena!
« Reply #776 on: August 11, 2009, 05:20:07 pm »

Awesome. I shall be watching out for this.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 11, 2009, 05:23:18 pm »

How... useless?

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 11, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »

7 awesome pictures heading your way! (I rather enjoy my new computer)

Say hello to WorkerDrone:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A dying spy called Vlynndar (note the knife):

Don't die on me! (or something dramatic like that)

An ordinary Medic from the Randomizer server:

Epic confrontation in a DFC Melee Arena game:

And for the encore two pictures of me having failed:

That's me on the wall, some people here probably remember that particular great game.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:40:24 pm by LASD »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 11, 2009, 05:58:27 pm »

How... useless?

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 774