Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 815206 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: "Surprise" Update OUT!
« Reply #600 on: May 31, 2009, 02:33:45 pm »

Yeah I'm going to complain about the wonky aiming of the Huntsman here.. I've noticed that you have to aim slightly diagonal for your arrow to hit where you want it at medium range.
     |
___|___
(+) |
     |

For example, see above; that would be a headshot if the (+) was a head. Otherwise it'll wizz right past. Or am I doing something wrong? I even tested it on the little target in the resupply room.

Yeah I think thats a result of the fact that the arrow is released from where it appears on the model rather than from the center. At long range the difference is negligible but at short range what looks like a good shot will put you off to one side.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 31, 2009, 02:54:55 pm »

You know how the default bow aim is a ( . )?  You put the target inside that area if he's still. You predict ahead if he's not. Nothing so hard about it.

Yeah... You know... Except for the whole part where you have to calculate exact physics with no depth perception... Quite hard.
No, what makes it hard is people doing random movements. If you don't have a depth of perception based on things sizes you have something wrong going on in your brain. Anyone gets used to that in FPS games.

Nice of you to imply I am stupid instead of understanding what the hell I'm talking about.

You get used to it sure. But you can't just come in there and be awesome with it right off the bat.

Sure, depth perception is possible through the movement of objects and the use of two different points of view-- the way our eyes do it...

But it's quite hard when your eyes are still looking at a 2D picture and can't make the calculation. They have to rely on practice practice practice.

I could go on and describe the exact process, but I'm sure you don't want to hear that.

So you're just complaining that you can't totally annihilate everyone without any effort?

Quit context mining me. I said it's not as easy as Soulwynd claims it to be in his ever so smug and insulting posting ways.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 31, 2009, 03:01:06 pm »

Quit context mining me.

Where's the fun in that?

It really does sound like you're complaining because you need to practice to get good at it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 31, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »

Wait, so the huntsman has an ability similar to the soldier where you can shoot around corners to your right?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 31, 2009, 03:28:59 pm »

Quit context mining me.

Where's the fun in that?

It really does sound like you're complaining because you need to practice to get good at it.

No. Not really. I'm not complaining about how you need to practice to use it. That's good. But Soulwynd was saying it like I'm supposed to be able to do it right off the bat by just doing some "simple" calculations in my head.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 31, 2009, 03:34:58 pm »

Quit context mining me.

Where's the fun in that?

No. Not really. I'm not complaining about how you need to practice to use it. That's good. But Soulwynd was saying it like I'm supposed to be able to do it right off the bat by just doing some "simple" calculations in my head.

Well any experience FPS gamer should be able to get the hang of it in not too long a while, usually.  I mean, it's just normal isn't it?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 31, 2009, 03:44:14 pm »

Sure. But not off the bat.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 31, 2009, 03:44:41 pm »

If someone is moving in a straight line and you're used with the arrow's speed while having had some practice with it, it's quite easy to get even headshots. (Will try to make some movies at some point) But if they're moving at random, it is fucking hard, you have to guess where to shoot at.

For me there's a sweet spot between medium to long range where I can nail arrows pretty well, I have more problem with short range because of how any little movement means a total miss.

Yeah I'm going to complain about the wonky aiming of the Huntsman here.. I've noticed that you have to aim slightly diagonal for your arrow to hit where you want it at medium range.
     |
___|___
(+) |
     |

For example, see above; that would be a headshot if the (+) was a head. Otherwise it'll wizz right past. Or am I doing something wrong? I even tested it on the little target in the resupply room.
That only causes real problems at short ranges and covers. If you're taking cover by a wall, you might hit the wall even tho your aim is off the wall.

Nice of you to imply I am stupid instead of understanding what the hell I'm talking about.
Oh please, any halfassed school teaches about that and there's always the internetz if anyone doesn't understand that.

I'm implying there's something wrong if you can't guesstimate based on known objects' size and speed alone. Not that you are stupid, just that there's something wrong if you can't do that. You can still catch a ball with one eye closed after some practice.

I never said you start good right off the bat, I said it wasn't hard to get good at it and what made it hard was people randomly moving around. Not even all the mega-five-eyed-triple-breasted beast's awesome powers of depth perception will foresee where to shoot an slow projectile if your target is making weird random movements.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 31, 2009, 04:12:36 pm »

I mean, this truly is what hard means in games. Just like hitting a headshot with the huntsman while the target is jumping.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 31, 2009, 05:13:57 pm »

I mean, this truly is what hard means in games. Just like hitting a headshot with the huntsman while the target is jumping.
<_<==>_>

If your gonna do it,do it right...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2et3cKlSSk

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 31, 2009, 11:42:11 pm »

The thing being complained about in the aiming of The Huntsman, is that because the weapon has a real position on the model, the trajectory of the weapon is determined by that position. While this is actually true for ALL weapons in the game, all the other ones are positioned on the right side of the model, rather than the left, which can take some getting used to.
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 01, 2009, 06:50:39 am »

Fun fact: When you look at a sniper holding a huntsman, he uses the standard right handed draw. When you use the huntsman, he uses left handed draw.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 01, 2009, 10:56:52 am »

Yes the huntsman's aim is slightly off at short range.  I picked up on that right off.  Probably because I play soldier alot I donno.

But yea, at short range you need to adjust for that, not particularly difficult once you get the hang of it, but tricky when you pick up the weapon for the first time.   I was playing sniper duel with a friend on an empty server for the lols.  And he made some pretty impressive blind shots using that feature, knowing more or less where my last shot came from and blind firing from around a corner.  It was fairly effective, though not sure how effective it would be in a serious match.

As for the depth perception thing, yea it takes some time to get the hang of I imagine (I have had one eye that I can't see much more than blurry colors out of most of my life so maybe I'm just used to it) but once you get the handle for the common sniping distances it's not particularly hard.  I mean the distances between the 2 2Fort sniper decks isn't really gunna change.  Same with Mach4, Goldrush sniper decks to common snipe victim points, stuff like that.

Huntsman is a new weapon, it will take some time to master.  It also requires a diffrent playstyle.  Trying to countersnipe a rifle sniper with a huntsman sniper likely is going to end badly for the huntsman sniper.  But the huntsman sniper would do better than the rifle one in closer range.  Its all about how you play.  Can't we all just get along?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 03, 2009, 11:47:56 am »

I'm really likin' the Huntsman.

Last night I was on a server with Ampersand on the opposing team. After a while, he made a joke about my in-game name (Mantis Shrimp (see the Amazing Nature topic in General Discussion)) and then left.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 03, 2009, 12:53:36 pm »

ALL HAIL THE MANTIS SHRIMP

I had to leave because I had to pick up my car.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 774