Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 789458 times)

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: "Who's the tough guy now? Huh, tough guy?"
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 07:33:15 pm »

Christ I'm so sick of everyone playing scouts >:(
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:22 pm »

Well, makes playing an Engi easier I bet.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 01:57:30 am »

Heh yeah, I've racked up a stupid number of kills as an engie over the past day. Ctf well can be defended entirely by two engineers if the other team insists on using all scouts, we had pretty much everybody else on the team sitting back eating sandvich to taunt them ;-)
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:42 am »

roflolmao :D

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 04:30:03 am »

I got the "Does it hurt when I do this?"-achievement in about an hour yesterday, from 8 to 50 dead scouts by Blutsauger. And with that, the Übersaw, finally!

Having dozens of scouts running around is quite fun actually, when playing anything but the scout (or spy or sniper) though the games become really quite hectic.

----

Anyone read the last two blog posts? I think they make a really good job dealing out critique and punishment to the players, while still being on par with the light-hearted style of the game.

Also, did some of you get hit by these disciplinary actions? Though taking the items away only for a week doesn't seem like that harsh a punishment, unless the ill-gained achievements go with them.

P.S. I didn't quite get Sentry Gunner (8 kills) while playing Engineer, but I did make my new kill record with any class (16 kills!)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:32:51 am by LASD »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm, I got 24 kills in one life as an Engi once.  I wonder if I could finally top that?  I need to test this later today when I get home.  Maybe I can even top my top overall score in one life of 34 (also Engi).

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I've been absolutely sucking in a team of all scouts as defense, but I've gotten the first unlock. I think it's the clear better than the normal scattergun, and reloading to full takes less time than the normal scattergun, despite what the description says.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I got the last achievement weapon last night:  The Bonk!

Needless to say, you're invincible for about 5 seconds.  You can easily run by sentries now in quick bursts.  No luck in an open field though...

Wahahahaha.

ALSO!  The Sandman taunt is my favorite now, you actually need to do it to get an achievement.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This page made me think that there's quite a lot of cheating going on with the scout unlocks:

Then I understood that people don't need to have the same 10 achievements to get to the milestone.

Still, it sounds quite weird that the 6th most common Scout achievement is having 10 of them. (With Medic it's 8th, with Heavy 9th and Pyro 7th.)

-----

This made me wonder what people here think about achievements and the fact that you have to gather them to unlock new weapons. Some think that the achievements are completely stupid, that the weapons should just be given for "free" and feel that Valve just makes the players grind for them.

I think the achievements and unlocks are great (if it wasn't apparent already as each of my posts is about them), because with them the game isn't only about winning and there's always progress to be made when playing. Though stats have somewhat the same purpose too.

Also, I would never go to an achievement server or use a hack to get the new weapons as there's such a great feeling of accomplishment to be had from playing fair. And I would feel as bad as I do when I have to turn to walkthroughs when playing adventure games.

So, what do you think? Do you just want to play without thinking of achievements and so got the weapons in some dodgy way or even try to completely ignore them? Do you think that the more outlandish achievements, like Placebo Effect (Kill 5 enemies with Übercharge ready, but undeployed) ruin the game? And would you like the weapons and achievements to be separate, or connected like now?

P.S. Also I've been wondering how much effort the programmers have to do to track all the achievements. Though they seem to pick primarily things that are already tracked, but there's also the oddballs like No-Hitter, FYI I'm a Medic or Photostroika.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Programming isn't actually hard, but every achievement they track does add a certain cpu usage. Even if there are conditionals that make it stop checking for the ones you already have, there's still the conditional overhead. It doesn't seem like it would matter much, but if you were at the cpu limit of the game and they kept adding them, you'd prolly notice it.

As for archievements themselves, well, a lot of people just grind them for the weapons. I mean, the day the game patched the scout update for me, I went to play, and there already scouts with all new weapons. I like to just play the game, one of the reason I don't have many upgraded weapons. For some of the harder ones (like ubering a scout and getting X kills), I actually try to do them in a normal game. Kind of adds an extra challenge and some fun, even tho some asses might scream at you.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: "Wave goodbye to yer head, wanker."
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2009, 11:19:08 am »

I decided to give some CPR to this here thread as Valve posted some big news yesterday.

Sniper will be the star the next update and it's going to be a big one. Also, there's an update coming that gives something to all classes before that.

Check it out: http://www.teamfortress.com/

P.S. Also, check out the totally real unlock they're giving to Sniper in the post before.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2009, 11:22:32 am »

Because of my lack of money, my Brother has allowed me to play his TF2 game on his steam account, simply because he finds it stupid. So if you find somebody with the name of Dudeman, it is like me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2009, 12:00:14 pm »

Dudeman... How unoriginal... Meh. Not my place to judge.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2009, 01:01:24 pm »

Are you saying something about people with names that end with -man?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »

Yes.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 774