Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 789891 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like the latter picture, the former is demostrating that it can kill you if you fall in it :D

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's how it should work.

You enter the last cap point/intel room...

And lava rises/spikes raise.

Always.

Never can get past it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Doesn't look very lava-y.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

Doesn't look very lava-y.
Would look better if it fluctuated a little, and if bodies sunk in a little.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Yeah, its early times. But the map dude is watching this post, so if you want offer some advice, please do so :D

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want some advice!

I'm making a little map, it's my first ever...

How soon can I expect to stop needing to glance at the SDK wiki every 5 seconds? :P

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel

Oh! Oh! Map maker guy!
If overtime is reached, you should have hatches open up to release lava into the area, forcing players to use the higher areas of the map.

Cpt.Yorange

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

heya guys map builder here first of all i will raise and sink areas of the lava to give it a more 3d feel and i have also added in more solid veins of magma to give it a more lava like feel but bare in mind that tf2 has no official lava effects so i have had to use a custom one so limited there, 2nd point would love to add motion on the lava but on a map this scale will cause server choke so suggested best not to, what i may do is put the lava plate on a rotation path so it looks like flowing liquid almost like a giant wheel and the floor will be like a port hole u can see the motion in, erm as far as bodies sinking in impossible because it is a solid entity not liquid and i cant make it liquid, what i would like is if anyone could give me a sketch of a dwarf dwelling or a village, sides will be marked out not using modern signs like the game but castle like flag banners draped across the walls indicating blue and red and instead of path markers will make wood arrows tinted with that teams colour here is the proposed plans based on several maps i know with good ctf balance but will make a cp alternative so both will be available

here are the blue prints for what i have conjured up
http://i48.tinypic.com/2v0h0kp.jpg
ty all and your input will be much valued im away for 2 days so will reply to questions upon my epic return  :P

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

I'm sure it's way too late, but it would be kind of neat to see a magma/water thing for red/blu.  Both equally lethal, but color coded!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cpt.Yorange

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

oh and DoctorZ its a bitch to learn so will be a while but once u got it you will start seeing things as logic like prop parenting a good example of what can be done manipulating the engine is my last map ctf_buff_fortress available for download here if you want to test play it or even decompile it http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmtnymzmtn3/ctf_buff_fortress.bsp

Cpt.Yorange

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

would be a cool idea but im aiming to do that with lighting and decoration because its meant to give the impression that you are going deeper into a mountian that has the potential of erupting and i dunno what mountian u would find both large entities of water and lava in the same area what i can do tho is for water i can put streams through the spawn areas

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

That map is going to be awesome. My two cents:

What needs to be in:
- Large pillars in the open spaces for cover (but you seem to have that covered).
- East-West should be symmetrical, but North and South may be asymmetrical.
- Some balconies/upper walkways in the Dwarf Dwellings, also make those have high ceilings.
- Have happy forest have a brook with 2 bridges (and perhaps an underwater entrance into the fortress or spawn like in Well).
- Bottomless pit!

Fun to have:
Bins, barrels, workshops, refuse stockpiles, beds, plump helmet farms, cages (all props), make the grand hall a throne room with golden throne, a trading depot.

Watch out for:
- Unconquerable sentry placements.
- Too few alternative routes.
- Jumping soldiers/demos/scouts who can reach where they weren't supposed to.

Edit: added some ideas.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:39:36 pm by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

would be a cool idea but im aiming to do that with lighting and decoration because its meant to give the impression that you are going deeper into a mountian that has the potential of erupting and i dunno what mountian u would find both large entities of water and lava in the same area what i can do tho is for water i can put streams through the spawn areas

Well back in the old 2d version of dwarf fortress as you went deeper into the mountain you would first hit an underground river then a giant bottomless cavern then a flow of magma/lava.

I'm not sure what type of map it will be but if it's a blu attacking one then the 3 themes of water, bottomless pit and lava could be used for each area.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

- Jumping soldiers/demos/scouts who can reach where they weren't supposed to.
If your gonna restrict access to certain areas, PLEASE do not make them look viable in the first place. I hate seeing a area that looks perfectly acceptable to jump to only to get blocked by some invisible wall or slippery slope.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well back in the old 2d version of dwarf fortress as you went deeper into the mountain you would first hit an underground river then a giant bottomless cavern then a flow of magma/lava.

I'm not sure what type of map it will be but if it's a blu attacking one then the 3 themes of water, bottomless pit and lava could be used for each area.

That would be an awesome payload map :o. And it would even make sense, DFwise. Invaders wanting to throw a bomb in the bottemless pits, to get the creatures from them to attack the fortress...

Now I wish I could map :(
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 774