Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 814823 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

SO what does everyone think of the newest update? The ability to delete items seems retarded since you will never ever get it back, also anyone want to guess at the new head items? What will they do? Who will get which? Will the pyro substitute his mask for something that lets us see his face and hear his voice?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

My guess is the item deletion is just so that you can reset everything when they implement achievement resetting.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

You mean see HER face and hear HER voice.

Also.  WHAT DO YOU MEAN NEW UPDATE?! *foams*  I've been checking teamfortress.com religiously, like, twice a day for the last couple weeks!  There's still nothing there!  O_O

*fishes up details*

Oh.  That wasn't very interesting.

So there's a new slot for 'head' items?  My guess is going to be minor buffs and not-so-minor ones.  Helmets for reducing sniper damage?...seems excessive, even if it just means it takes two headshots to kill a heavy.  Bonk resistance, same thing.  Might be worth it if the helmet blocked the top 1/4 of your vision or something though.  Binoculars?..maps aren't that big.  A replacement for the scout's headset?  What would that even mean?  I mean this isn't sci-fi, so targeting things for boosting damage don't make sense, and I don't see how a head item would boost running speed or reduce non-sniper damage.  Scuba mask?  Hmm...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There were some snippets from server code or something people managed to fish out over at steamforums that reveal quite many things. Apparently Demo is getting a FRO and Heavy a Football Helmet, the less were quite uninteresting.

Frankly, I'm quite worried with the tide of weapons that will pour in, but I trust Valve to keep things balanced and fun. They haven't let me down yet.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also the Spy's 3rd unlockable will substitute the watch as that's the third item in the new equipment screen. Though the picture is of the disguise kit.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:38:31 pm by LASD »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OH MY GOD DEMO WITH A 'FRO.

>_O

My god, Valve.

Ha, I'm so amused that that post bolded this line:
"LoadoutSlot_Grenade" "Grenade"
(I don't know if I do want or don't want)

*keeps reading*

OH JESUS CHRIST IT REALLY IS DIABLO OMFG.

...Except this is old code, so they probably decided against it a long time ago.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: "Nice goin' ya bludgers!" Hats incoming!
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2009, 03:25:38 pm »

Due to the fact that my brothers account has been the one I have been playing, a lot of achievements have been unlocked that he wanted to do. An achievement reset would be handy here.

Still, resetting stats so when I get my own copy he can play fresh would be grand.

Although I get the feeling the people who disconnect in order to not have a kill registered would take healthy advantage of this.

Edit: Also, I dunno if this was mentioned in this thread, but there is a grenade object ingame that Valve didn't allow to be used because playtesters found it had... issues.

Takes me back to the days of playing Halo 1, and the random mortar-like deaths of the more cramped and vertical maps.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2009, 03:47:03 pm »

Ok, more thoughts:
- Demo 'fro needs to have a purple headband.  JUST BECAUSE.  And I'm betting it gives more crits but weaker stickybombs?
- Batter's Helmet probably is either sandman related, or maybe increases bat damage for weaker other stuff, oh hell yes.
- What if the grenade item is actually something for the demo's launcher?  IE you customize your launcher and you customize what it launches, more or less bounce, longer or shorter fuse...  Iunno.
- If these random weapons are at all tied to performance, instead of something like 'play for an hour' or something, it's going to be horrible because of achievement servers.  It's not like Diablo's Bnet servers, they won't actually be hosted by Valve.
- Oh man I know what would be awesome
- If your random weapons were TIED TO A SERVER or to a server group
- so they are stored on whatever server you get them on, and maybe they can be shared across some clan's four servers or whatever
- wouldn't that be freaking sweet
- yes it would

EDIT:  Now this is epic.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:46:17 pm by Sowelu »

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2009, 06:11:15 pm »

Snip because I fail at detecting an obvious troll/parody.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:14:16 pm by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2009, 06:43:01 pm »

I really miss the Quake 2 "King of the Server" mod...server...thing.

It was one server, like three interconnected ones at its height, that tracked stats, gave you experience for kills, and let you upgrade your weapons by hitting up their website.  Man I loved my highly upgraded machine gun.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2009, 05:56:53 pm »

Valve could've stood to learn something about keeping their devblog updated when Toady visited.  Then at least the Steam forums would be whining about some real information, instead of things that are only hinted at and mostly exist only in their heads.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »

The kerfuffle with no information is drumming up interest!  Heck, it got ME playing again.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2009, 05:13:26 pm »

I'm in the diablo-like weapon system camp. Nothing else explains why all the weapons have levels.
!!&!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2009, 05:36:36 pm »

Someone dug up some XML-like stuff that controls what bonuses each attribute gives, and what item levels the attribute is allowed on.  It looks straight out of Diablo, yes.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2009, 06:17:47 pm »

So what's everyone's favourite moment they've had in game?

I recently got a new favourite, playing as a sniper in granary we had pushed to the fourth point so I ran over to it and ended up on the balcony just as the enemy retook it. For some reason none of them looked up so I figured I had nothing to lose and leapt down wielding a kukri to deliver my own little sniper backstab to one of the medics, and I actually critted killing them in one hit.  I then gave the other medic a whack but got turned on by a heavy demo and soldier. Just had me smiling though at the image of my crazed Australian sniper leaping down onto this medic and slashing him in half with his kukri.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »

One of my favorite times was as a sniper too--I'm terrible with a sniper, but on one newbie server I staked out the end of a way-too-long alley on some unpopular map, and managed to take off like fifteen heads because all the fighting was way down the other way...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 774