Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 810615 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 war-themed hat simulator!
« Reply #10860 on: June 17, 2015, 06:17:46 pm »

I think typically servers get repopulated through the quickplay matchmaking (by whoever actually uses that). It's one of the major reasons why servers without random crits and damage spread have spent most of their time empty since quickplay was implemented, due to quickplay not matching people with servers running those settings (but it'll still match them with servers running all those stupid server plugins like RTD and gameME, I think). For servers without random crits, it's often up to regulars to sit around doing nothing for upwards of half an hour before the server gains enough people to draw players through the server browser (or some kind of organization if that server has an independent community).

I recently started playing TF2 again, and wasn't surprised to see every nocrit server in my favorites list either shut down, converted to MGE (or something horrid like Death Run), or perpetually empty (with the server browser faring no better). I've considered hosting a server many times, but it would be so pointless if it'd just stay empty for eternity.

Yep. Major complaint I have with TF2 currently is finding good servers that aren't constantly empty and aren't Valve servers with sv_pure and pants-on-head players.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: June 17, 2015, 07:38:13 pm »

I'm still sad all of the 24/7 Egypt Servers closed down.

RIP Skial Egypt
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: June 17, 2015, 08:28:34 pm »

I find a lot of Valve servers (in Australia at least) are home to far too many pubstompers with unusuals and australium weapons.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:38 pm »

That's just because in 'Murrica servers everyone and their dog have Australium weapons, so they go to Australia to beat up kids instead.

It's kind of ironic that actual Australians don't have australium weapons.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: June 17, 2015, 09:57:32 pm »

I think pyro can be a reasonable defending class on pub servers, you can defend sentries and annoy ubers pretty nicely.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: June 18, 2015, 12:58:50 am »

Defending pyro on any pub payload map is great fun. Plenty of flanking routes most of the time. On offense you'll usually be blocked by sentries.

Also, you talk about skill with the flare gun, but remember that some people literally have scripts that automate puff & sting :V
(maybe I should learn to use flare guns, but I'm just really in love with shotguns in general)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: June 18, 2015, 01:01:36 am »

I don't know why, but I got to the point with flaregun where I can just switch it out and shoot a shot in the general direction of the enemy (I don't even feel like I'm aiming) then go do something else and hear the satisfying ding 70% of the time. Today I was too jittery to play scout because I keep missing, so I switched to pyro and for some reasons I was consistently landing shots with the flare.

Although I suppose Reserve Shooter is good at making soldiers cry.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: June 18, 2015, 01:21:14 am »

With the release of degreaser, puff n' sting seems to have really fallen off in usefulness, miauw.

I don't know why, but I got to the point with flaregun where I can just switch it out and shoot a shot in the general direction of the enemy (I don't even feel like I'm aiming) then go do something else and hear the satisfying ding 70% of the time. Today I was too jittery to play scout because I keep missing, so I switched to pyro and for some reasons I was consistently landing shots with the flare.

Although I suppose Reserve Shooter is good at making soldiers cry.
That's called projectile prediction skills, muh nizzle. It's a skill. I used to have that with flaregun when I played pyro a lot. Quite fun to shoot towards a corner and oh look, someone walked into your flare. Also a great skill for other classes like soldier or demo, but obviously your skills at prediction depend on which classes and projectile weapons you use regularly. Flare gun projectiles, rocket projectiles, and pipe bombs all travel at very different speeds and have different nuances for aiming.

I'm utter shit at hit-scan but I've had great success at projectile prediction if I practice enough. At point I got to where I could accurately land pipe bombs without using a crosshair.

Have I mentioned how much I love pipe bombs today?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: June 18, 2015, 02:16:20 am »

There's a point where I was more accurate with the sandman than with the sniper rifle.

Then again that was before I turned off mouse acceleration. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:02:37 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: June 18, 2015, 03:39:10 am »

That's what I ment, Spessh. Some people have scripts to release one flame particle, airblast and fire a flare.

And my aim is really inconsistent. Sometimes I play sniper and I get a dozen headshots easily, other times I'll be relying on bodyshots and jarate to get any kills at all :P

E:
autobalance never fails to fill my veins with RAGE
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:17:53 am by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: June 18, 2015, 04:26:51 am »

I kind of wish sknightper is a valid role just to make spies cry.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: June 20, 2015, 07:03:02 am »

Hm. I sort of want to learn to rocketjump properly but I dont really know where to start. Tried finding a rocket jump map but most of the "beginner" stages are already really hard (triple rocket jump against a wall, not an idea how to do that without flying away from the wall horribly. Air control stage in really narrow deadly-wall stage, etc)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: June 20, 2015, 07:07:28 am »

The idea of triple rocket jumping is to rocket jump up, shoot a rocket towards the ground, then rocket jump as soon as you fall back down and catch up with the rocket.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:09:14 am by Cinder »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: June 20, 2015, 07:09:31 am »

I ment like, rocket jumping against a wall, shooting a rocket to propel you further, then shooting another rocket against that wall to propel you even further. th second rocket always knocks me away.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: June 20, 2015, 07:11:55 am »

I think the idea is to crouch and shoot below yourself as soon as you collide with the wall. Now, I probably make this sound too easy because I doubt I can do it.

Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 774