Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 815643 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Classless update is here!
« Reply #1035 on: September 04, 2009, 03:43:08 pm »

It is quite disconcerting to join a game and find a player by the name of Sniper Joe on the team list.

That was very strange.

@Comic:

lol

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 04, 2009, 03:56:45 pm »

Almost a day late, I know. But here goes:
What precisely have I "circumvented"? Is there something inherently sacred about the TF2 official loading screen, or the urge to display dozens of people standing, screaming, dying, and then respawning for hours on end?
Not to be too much of a troll, but you're taking this way too serious.

Also, you're circumventing the system intended to reward players for playing the game. You're not playing the game, or even using valve software. The game is not running and you're getting shit through the system anyway.

At least idling while in game you're "playing" the game. Valve has no right to tell you how to play the game, as long as you're using their shit to access their servers to get ingame bonuses.

Sure there was no clear rule for TF2 other than the broad and very vague valve corporate rule about 3rd party access. Sure they also could have used tact for all of this *see my previous post for my sentiments*. But in the end, you circumvented their system in both access(3rd party program logging you in onto a server) and intention(reward for playing the game), and they decided to act against that.

All in all, both sides have handled this badly. Valve for being a dick about it by not solving the problem within a reasonable timeframe(drop system and trading) and punishing those who bypassed the problem (but not being a royal dick of removing all items), and the idlers for causing so much damn drama (And don't tell me you're pissed off for what valve did. The only ones who have the right to be pissed off are the ones who got their legit items deleted and never returned. The rest of you idled for a reason and are just mad you lost the hats, as they were important enough to you to idle in the first place.*Which at the time wasn't considered outright cheating, however what was it then? Being clever at sticking it to the man?)

Just to note: I know this post sounds a little bit flaming, but it's not my intention. I would've idled if it didn't appear to be quite unseemly to me. I have nothing against those who idled. Granted it's also just unseemly to me for them to pitch such a fit about the whole deal.

Also to note: This also caused a rift in bunch of pub servers where people ban HALOs or NON-HALOs, as well as descriminating against either side. But this is more to do with that people are dicks and less to do with Valve's actions(beside from making the idler-vs-nonidler debate into something more tangeable, but they didn't start that fire*only added fuel*)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:26:33 pm by Thndr »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 04, 2009, 04:23:56 pm »

The rest of you idled for a reason and are just mad you lost the hats, as they were important enough to you to idle in the first place.*Which at the time wasn't considered outright cheating, however what was it then? Being clever at sticking it to the man?
And this is why I am even more pissed at people like you. Because obviously it's impossible for me as an idler to care about more than my hats! I mean I idled for them! I actually ran a program which could affect me in no way but a minor positive and thus that program must be sole basis of my life. All of my emotions revolve around that one program and the items I gained it from it.

Secondly it wasn't sticking it to the man, it was fixing a system valve knew and admitted was broken. Hats were ludicrously rare and it was impossible for us to fix the percentage drop so we had to increase the number of rolls. Now that valve have indresed the item drop rates I could stop idling but I'm not going to if they are going to be pricks about this I'll just idle get hats and trade them for a halo when the system comes out. Not because I want such an ugly thing which pretty much ruins the game aesthetically (I played on a server were no hats were being displayed, it was bliss.) but rather to say screw you valve.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 04, 2009, 04:46:43 pm »

I know I edited my previous post a bunch of times to add some clarification, so I might've added something you've missed. Sorry about that.
And just to clarify some more, I've been mostly focusing on the reaction to the loss of hats and using the program to get hats, and defending their use of said program as some righteous thing because Valve is too slow to fix the problem.

Secondly it wasn't sticking it to the man, it was fixing a system valve knew and admitted was broken. Hats were ludicrously rare and it was impossible for us to fix the percentage drop so we had to increase the number of rolls.
While I'll admit that there was/is a problem with the drop system, and they seem to take months to even address the problem, but the idler wasn't fixing the issue. It was bypassing the issue in a technically shady manner. (Which is now considered cheating through change of ToS)
And I'm not saying you cared a great deal about the hats, but you (and a bunch others) obviously cared enough to bypass the problem in that manner, which in effect was an indirect letter to Valve protesting the drop rate.

And really, the issues have still yet to be fixed because even though hats are 3x less rare, they're still rare and untradeable. What would I want with a hat I don't like, or a hat on a class I hardly play? It just seems unfair for me to get that one while others want it and have the hat I want. The best thing to fix it would be a combination of random and calculating you class stats. (Nothing too skill based of course, just enough data to influence -what- hat you get instead of -when- you get a hat.)

And this is why I am even more pissed at people like you. Because obviously it's impossible for me as an idler to care about more than my hats! I mean I idled for them! I actually ran a program which could affect me in no way but a minor positive and thus that program must be sole basis of my life. All of my emotions revolve around that one program and the items I gained it from it.
Now that valve have indresed the item drop rates I could stop idling but I'm not going to if they are going to be pricks about this I'll just idle get hats and trade them for a halo when the system comes out. Not because I want such an ugly thing which pretty much ruins the game aesthetically (I played on a server were no hats were being displayed, it was bliss.) but rather to say screw you valve.
Now that is just petty, and sticking it to the man.

Instead of say, writing them a deeply thought out letter with a bunch of clearly worded points on how they failed customer service as well as management of player reward system (which by all means, they have.) and what you intend to do.

Also:
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-cheaterscomic.gif
While posting this comic link may seem hypocritical, it's basically shows what a decent person is going through after using the idler(even for only a few hours). The whole elitism on both sides was here before the update, and just got worse with something tangible.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:22:17 pm by Thndr »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 04, 2009, 05:26:03 pm »

Actually I am planning on writing them an e-mail, although I'm giving it a couple of days to see whether they are going to admit how badly they screwed up and also to let all the angry spam die down.
My HoM.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 04, 2009, 05:38:44 pm »

Actually I am planning on writing them an e-mail, although I'm giving it a couple of days to see whether they are going to admit how badly they screwed up and also to let all the angry spam die down.
Well if you're going to wait, I'd email them monday evening if they don't have any response by then. Over the weekend they'll have tons of emails from a bunch of users, which might make your letter get lost.

And just to clarify some more (without editing my previous post. Damn it seems I just love editing XD), I only have an issue with those bitching about not having a warning and immediately losing their idled unlocks, while making only minor comments towards the halo. And those who try to justify their use of the idler program itself. As well as those who didn't idle and go CHEATER CHEATER NENER NENER.
It's those people who spawn the elitism.

Sorry if my generlization earlier hit a nerve, should've explained what I was focusing on more clearly >_> (My intent was directed more at the person I was quoting ). Hope you at least get a response from your email.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:40:20 pm by Thndr »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 04, 2009, 05:41:41 pm »

Halolz comic is hilarious like always.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 04, 2009, 05:47:57 pm »

Sorry if my generlization earlier hit a nerve,
I think this whole subject is a nerve for me and I probably shouldn't be posting about it here because I'm likely just making myself look like a total prick to everyone.
My HoM.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 05, 2009, 03:36:09 am »

Yeah, the whole debate is pretty much going in circles, though Thndr speaks wise words.

However, I'll add the last thing in the debate that I don't think was mentioned: The idlers were the ones that made Valve change the drop rate to something more reasonable. They pretty much voted against the system and when they won the voting (by surpassing the number of people actually playing the game), Valve said they were cheaters and promptly changed the system. I know it's a problem idlers got hats that way, but I think only removing the hats would've been enough. Blaming them for wanting a change in Valve's own non-fun system is rather unfair.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:40:11 am by LASD »

Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Does anyone else hear the voices?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 05, 2009, 08:42:01 am »

the halo makes it easy to see cloaked spy

and easier to get a head shot  "shoot for the shiny thing"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 05, 2009, 08:43:15 am »

Seriously? I'll admit to not reading the rest of the thread, but the halo reveals a cloaked spy? What the hell? That's like having a gun that only shoots backwards.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 05, 2009, 08:46:13 am »

The spys caught on pretty fast so I never saw it but I think you and the halo get cloaked but the halos glow effect doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 08:51:22 am by thatguyyaknow »
My HoM.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 05, 2009, 08:47:27 am »

Heh. Guess what's being patched next! If it hasn't already.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 05, 2009, 02:35:05 pm »

Clearly someone brave and virtuous enough to get a halo would never do something so cheap and rotten as to spy.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 05, 2009, 02:38:21 pm »

>_>
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 774