Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 810147 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

In my experience the most effective demos use their sticky launchers like grenade launchers, and do nothing else.
Sad but true.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

In my experience the most effective demos use their sticky launchers like grenade launchers, and do nothing else.
Not the most, perhaps the most effective for a while. Then there's a big gap of effectiveness where no players really are, then there's demos who can use both the grenade launcher and sticky launcher effectively.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

I managed to backstab two people before getting killed at the Nucleus king of the hill capture point. How is this impressive? I wasn't cloaked. I was also on fire.

I am stealthy as spy, you guys.

Once, on the downward slope at the end of Badwater, I found myself in front of 2 soldiers and a medic as a 10 health spy with no cloak meter or disguise.  So of course I pulled out my knife and charged... and backstabbed two of them before my team pushed theirs back.  I didn't die either.

Its one of those owns that was because of my enemy rather than me, but it still felt amazing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

If you play TF2 long enough you can usually reach the top of the scoreboard will almost any class
I started playing demo instead of always playing Pyro because in certain situations, a Pyro can't really do much.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

The only thing is if your team is bad you'll find there are certain situations a given class just CAN'T deal with.  Like sentries to scouts, people with free time to spies, snipers to heavies, no good combat classes for medic to help, that kind of thing.

The closest thing to a class with no weakness is soldier, but I find they have a mild weakness to snipers.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A good enough sniper is a hard counter to every other class.

But on equal skill levels, it's probably only pyro that soft counters soldier. Like, really soft, it's a freshly made jello pudding soft counter.

I don't like playing pyro because it's really limited in what it can do, and I feel just pathetically weak.
Of course, the famed Bfl Satan visits the little server I frequent often, dominates me and literally every single person on my team, racks up an outrageous killstreak, and then leaves when he felt us nubs had basked in his radiance long enough.

I felt honored really.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Snipers are often very vulnerable to flanking though.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

If you want to fuck up a Demo, run right up to them and start attacking. Demo is the worst class for fighting at close range. Even Demoknights need to be charging to be effective. My shining hour was sticky bombing a Demoknight charging right at me then leaving him with a deathcam of my rump. If I had been a second off or if he was charging from another angle, that'd have been it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to fuck up a Demo, run right up to them and start attacking. Demo is the worst class for fighting at close range. Even Demoknights need to be charging to be effective. My shining hour was sticky bombing a Demoknight charging right at me then leaving him with a deathcam of my rump. If I had been a second off or if he was charging from another angle, that'd have been it.
do not underestimate the power of pan

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I tend to just blast people point blank with the grenade launcher if they rush like that. God I love the grenade launcher.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

I suppose with the Eyelander I can feel like a bit of a glass cannon when it comes to melee. The Eyelander is excellent fun but the health penalty can be a little constricting.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Most decent snipers don't spend that much time scoped, or only do so if surrounded by teammates.

Ironically, sniper is actually extremely potent at melee. Good melee weapons and moving at an okay speed means most threats can be dealt with via their knife.

Sniper seems to be based almost entirely on skill. The weaknesses and flaws of the sniper all depend on how incompetent the sniper is. The extremely rare master sniper cannot be countered by anything other than half the team assaulting them at once or multiple snipers to distract them. Then, they respawn.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most decent snipers don't spend that much time scoped, or only do so if surrounded by teammates.

Ironically, sniper is actually extremely potent at melee. Good melee weapons and moving at an okay speed means most threats can be dealt with via their knife.

Sniper seems to be based almost entirely on skill. The weaknesses and flaws of the sniper all depend on how incompetent the sniper is. The extremely rare master sniper cannot be countered by anything other than half the team assaulting them at once or multiple snipers to distract them. Then, they respawn.

Pretty much this. I was playing Highlander with some chumps in TFCenter when their sniper suddenly dropped. A sub was called in, and he turned out to be a rare, wandering Plat-level sniper that carried their entire team until we friggin kicked him.

You can call that poor sportsmanship, but a sniper of a high enough caliber basically means that noone else is allowed to play the game.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently I have a 42 killstreak as sniper, but it was probably on an easy sniper map like granary or turbine. Steam shows ~90 hours on sniper, but it's more like 400 since I wiped stats a while ago. I wouldn't consider myself great, but it's something where there's always obvious improvement to be had.

It's a class that's consistent, in that there reaches a point where you're more or less immune to anything but the extraordinary in a pub, which is relaxing. But I do regret spending so much time on it rather than soldier, since soldier is ultimately the better class. Sniper is just a more lazy fun class, where you can always just jump in and get some kills on basically any map and server. Though lately what I've been doing is playing ambassador spy, disguising as teammates and going for exclusively headshots. Still can't bring myself to use the dead ringer though, since it's such an annoying item to play against.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Though lately what I've been doing is playing ambassador spy, disguising as teammates and going for exclusively headshots. Still can't bring myself to use the dead ringer though, since it's such an annoying item to play against.
I don't really like the Dead Ringer. It seems like Dead Ringer is the most common watch, so if I ever kill a spy now, I automatically suspect it's a dead ringer and keep an eye out.  Plus I think it just teaches bad habits for spies because it gives you room for making stupid mistakes. So instead of learning from those mistakes or avoiding risks of making them you can just shrug it off becuz dead ringer will save meh, lulz.

Then again, I don't play spy. At all.
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 774