Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: General Mod Questions  (Read 996 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
General Mod Questions
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:46:53 am »

Never been bothered to mod games before, but after poking around in some of the raw files, my head is filled with ideas to tailor the game to my own little niche.

After finishing up adding in some herbalist-only herbs and spices with a couple extracts, etc, I'm ready to move on to something else.

Is it currently possible to change all types of meat into a single, generic 'meat' or does the butcherable tag make each meat a seperate indexed item?  I eventually want certain animals to drop specific meat (venison, pork, beef, etc) but want any others to just be 'meat', so I assume it has something to do with getting descriptors on meat.

Ditto for leather - any way to just get a single item called 'leather' instead of each animal having their own?  I know there's a tag for chitin, but other than that, I don't want the animal descriptor's on each bit of leather.

Actually, back to plants for a sec - I like how you can change the name of the products of plants to something different than the plant itself (named booze, dye, extracts) - is there any way to do this when just processing plants to get thread?  Cotton is easy enough, because the cloth uses the same name, but I wanted to add in flax and don't want it to be flax cloth, but linen.  I used jute for cave-dwellers, but wished I could just call it burlap once it was made into cloth (I can live with this one, but I really would rather have linen).

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I dig into this, but I don't want to waste time designing things if its currently not possible to achieve what I want.

er...one more...can plants use more than one biome like animals? I noticed all the game-supplied plants only had one.

Thanks!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: General Mod Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:26:37 am »

The answer to the meat and leather questions are no. You could do it with a reaction, but without a creature to draw boiling points and other temperature data from the game defaults, which would cause any generic meat or leather that you made to explode in a cloud of absolute cold, killing everything nearby.

To the thread, the answer is also no. It is currently hardcoded, extracts, drinks, and leaves can be changed, but not thread and cloth.

To the biome question, I am pretty sure that the answer is yes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:31:33 pm »

.... is it wrong that, that sounds so damned cool?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:59:50 am »

Unfortunately, the changes you propose would actually remove functionality. The source animal/plant actually affects the value of the items. Much like a statue made out of crystal glass is worth more than one made from gabbro, dragon leather is worth more than dog leather.

You COULD try adding a nameless animal to the raws, and make a reaction to turn the various sorts of leather into it. That would give the visual effect you're looking for (the items would, theoretically, be listed as " leather" and the like), assuming it works at all (the game might choke on something without a name, I've never tried it myself).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:23:24 pm »

I was actually trying to remove functionality at this point...who the hell can tell the difference between one and two hump camel leather?  huh?

After getting into the raws more, I realize how things are set up and that trying to make certain items that mundane is impossible right now.

I did the same thing with all the stone layers, though.  Unless it had a direct use, I just made it a colored stone.  "Urist likes Red stone, ..."

I also removed all the ores except what I consider precious or useful.  Iron, gold, silver, etc, and all the reactions requiring them.  And I removed all the gems that I had no idea what they were or looked like.  Yeah, its a bit simplistic, but its my world.

Its nice, now my artifacts actually look like artifacts, not some trash heap stitched together in a mad frenzy.

Better to get an artifact silver scepter, encircled with blue stone, studded with platinum and encrusted with sapphires ...

than anything made with cat leather.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:03:26 am »

But but but.... the complexity is what makes DF interesting!  :'( just use wiki to find out about all the random stuff!

You have a very undwarven soul. It saddens me.  :(

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:47:19 am »

Believe me, I understand wanting things simpler. I've had a similar project on the back burner for ages now (currently too busy mixing a graphics set with the old ASCII tiles to my own preferences, and trying to build my crystal glass palace). Make sure you remove all the alloys from matgloss_metal, otherwise your nobles will demand and mandate stuff that simply cannot be made.

However, for the record, I certainly can tell the difference between a legendary's ☼dog leather shield☼ worth 180 and a novice's -unicorn leather shield- worth 300. If you've culled everything that comes out of the earth, you should be able to keep track of what you're butchering.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 02:03:43 pm »

the complexity is what makes DF interesting!

Making a magma and water works death trap is complexity.  Having 40 types of stone with basically no other purpose (right now) than a color and name is not.  Its just stuff.

I fully intend to add things back in as they become useful with reactions and the like.  I researched every single one of them before settling on the ones I wanted to keep, so I am educated on the matter.  And I love the game for having them there...and for the functionality to make the game the way I want to play it.

And its very dwarfy to want precious metals and lots of gems - as long as they are gemstones that *I* like.

I've also currently released the elf demon in me and have modded in about 40 more plant species...and counting...I'm sure when I get around to it I'll add in more cave/mountain stuff.