Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Stupid coal tricks  (Read 35363 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid coal tricks
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2009, 05:16:10 pm »

They only exist as a word. once you open the cage the reappear but otherwise no.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2009, 05:34:02 pm »

Retracting drawbridges will send creatures 1-2 tiles towards the edge of the bridge closest to it, from what I've seen. I haven't seen objects fly away ever, just creatures that I'd assume are trying to dive away from the bridge.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2009, 06:25:38 pm »

How about a way to make sure those purples, and company ( From the Ace spectrum, cough 'escapees' cough ) don't get to see the light of day, or darkness night.

And then a third party to confirm that laming catapult ammo is achievable by a dwarf that can haul flaming loads, or can set it on fire Zelda style ( ammo fly through torch ) .

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can see my house!
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2009, 06:29:38 pm »

Quote from: praguepride
Supposedly they fall, but I've read stories of players who say the retracting drawbridges scatter their items like a flinging one.

I can confirm that retracting bridges fling/scatter items.  I've only ever seen items get a maximum of 1 z-level of air and 3 squares of distance, but they most certainly DO get flung from retracting bridges.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2009, 09:28:12 pm »

Awesome. I must try flaming bins now.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2009, 05:23:34 am »

I definitely want to be able to use any/most items as projectiles for fun. Maybe there could be a physics system where you get rolling boulder traps!  One boulder hits another and knocks it down a hallway like pool balls. Also... burning pitch to drop on defenders anyone? Hot springs/roman style baths/steam baths heated by magma a tile down?  Steam powered rotors to grind flower or lift heavy objects... wouldn't that be cool instead of building things up, you could build them sideways and then lift them, like obelisks or something. That's what I love about DF... infinite possibilities. How about using that bin of death on a retractable bridge as some mentioned and when invaders come, have it drop onto a "domino" setup of lignites reaching to a kill area at your entrance. depending on how things burn and how smoke works, that'd be cool to build a smoke trap to choke goblins.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:37 am »

I assume this means I can drop flaming bins on my enemies?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2009, 09:47:23 am »

So, we've got all these great ideas, but who's going to start posting funny flaming bin stories?

My current fortress isn't nearly developed enough. I haven't even found a source of iron (other then goblins) and coal
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2009, 02:23:50 pm »

I think you can import the coal. The only problem would be the flame, the only consistent fire starter is magma... I should mod in a dwarf-usable fire...

Sans context.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2009, 02:31:02 pm »

So, we've got all these great ideas, but who's going to start posting funny flaming bin stories?

My current fortress isn't nearly developed enough. I haven't even found a source of iron (other then goblins) and coal

There's another source of iron?  :o

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2009, 02:34:40 pm »

I think caravans cary it sometimes.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2009, 02:37:22 pm »

I think caravans cary it sometimes.

You mean caravan guards? Yeah they drop iron when they die.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2009, 02:52:20 pm »

I've never made it to the point of caravan slaughter, I always had a new idea and nuked everything then generated a new world.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2009, 04:30:21 pm »

Goblins attackign yuo have tons of iron armor and clothes on, so you melt them down and get the raw iron. I think that was what he was refering to.

Sans context.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2009, 05:17:45 pm »

Aye, that's what I was referring to.  I've amply seen a steady stream of goblin invaders.  Finding an iron ore on the other hand....
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14