Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Stupid coal tricks  (Read 35397 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid coal tricks
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 05:41:16 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4781-archbasis
here is the map with the bin in the water if you want to see.

Ha, it does seem to be having an effect on the sea.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2009, 05:45:09 pm »

i dropped it and like the instant it touched bottome the layer of water above it disapered. :D
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 09:40:09 pm »

This is great!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:02 pm »

I know how i'll build an underwater dome now! drain the ocean, build a bubble, and dig tunnels to land. then I just wait for the bins to die and I'd be underwater!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 10:57:35 pm »

Guys, I've added a page about this Flaming Bin Method.
EDIT -I need to fix things.

DSDC - Dwarven Flame Method
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:03:05 pm by Foa »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2009, 11:25:57 pm »

I know how i'll build an underwater dome now! drain the ocean, build a bubble, and dig tunnels to land. then I just wait for the bins to die and I'd be underwater!
or, if you don't want a bin poluting the bottem of your ocean, build the dome around it, pumping the water inside as you build each level, so that the ocean refils as your construction is underway.  If it's large enough, you should be able to establish quarters for your dwarves, and possibly make an effort to remove all outside evidence of it's existence before sealing yourself in.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 11:30:20 pm »

My original lignite blocks burned out after about a year. They were still going when the caravan returned the fall after I bought them, and then a little while later I noticed they had finally gone out.

I am currently collecting the materials to perform the following experiments.

Item group 1: Objects not in bins: Lignite, lignite blocks, bituminous coal, b-coal blocks, graphite, graphite blocks, logs, wooden blocks, charcoal, coke, green glass blocks, copper bars.
Item group 2: Iron barrel of an alcoholic beverage, iron barrel of fat, iron barrel of tallow.
Item group 3: Blocks in individual iron bins: Lignite blocks, bituminous coal blocks, graphite blocks, wooden blocks, charcoal, coke, green glass blocks, copper bars.

Procedure for each group of items will be:
Throw in an item, immerse it in magma, wait a moment, drain the magma. Does it melt, catch fire, etc?
Pump water in horizontally. Is it extinguished, does it evaporate the water?
Dump water in from above. See what happens then.
Objects which catch fire and can't be extinguished will be dropped through the newly installed floor hatch in the magma chamber and observed to see which burns longest.

Then I'll duplicate them and see if they can be ignited by being dropped onto another heat source, without need for another magma ignition process.

I'm curious if there's something in the raws that influences these things. Clothes, for instance, I've seen burn away in a short period of time. Is there be a way to mod in a material that would keep burning for a hundred years?

Yeah, that was the idea that most excited me when I discovered this and when I saw that Akhler confirmed that it did what I thought it would do to an ocean.
Every ocean-floor construction project I've seen has seemed pretty awkward to me. Set some of these off and you can drain it pretty quickly, and then after a year (or longer, if you refuel them), you've got your ocean back automatically.
If you're really clever, you can build something to light a new bin and expose it to the ocean if you ever want to get back out of your underwater fort.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:47 pm »

My original lignite blocks burned out after about a year. They were still going when the caravan returned the fall after I bought them, and then a little while later I noticed they had finally gone out.

I am currently collecting the materials to perform the following experiments.

Item group 1: Objects not in bins: Lignite, lignite blocks, bituminous coal, b-coal blocks, graphite, graphite blocks, logs, wooden blocks, charcoal, coke, green glass blocks, copper bars.
Item group 2: Iron barrel of an alcoholic beverage, iron barrel of fat, iron barrel of tallow.
Item group 3: Blocks in individual iron bins: Lignite blocks, bituminous coal blocks, graphite blocks, wooden blocks, charcoal, coke, green glass blocks, copper bars.

Procedure for each group of items will be:
Throw in an item, immerse it in magma, wait a moment, drain the magma. Does it melt, catch fire, etc?
Pump water in horizontally. Is it extinguished, does it evaporate the water?
Dump water in from above. See what happens then.
Objects which catch fire and can't be extinguished will be dropped through the newly installed floor hatch in the magma chamber and observed to see which burns longest.

Then I'll duplicate them and see if they can be ignited by being dropped onto another heat source, without need for another magma ignition process.

I'm curious if there's something in the raws that influences these things. Clothes, for instance, I've seen burn away in a short period of time. Is there be a way to mod in a material that would keep burning for a hundred years?

Yeah, that was the idea that most excited me when I discovered this and when I saw that Akhler confirmed that it did what I thought it would do to an ocean.
Every ocean-floor construction project I've seen has seemed pretty awkward to me. Set some of these off and you can drain it pretty quickly, and then after a year (or longer, if you refuel them), you've got your ocean back automatically.
If you're really clever, you can build something to light a new bin and expose it to the ocean if you ever want to get back out of your underwater fort.
Use a flaming bin to ignite a placed Mead Barrel ( Beer Bomb Ignition! )

Let me make the Beer Bomb Method, Alpha One didn't make it yet.

ulfr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2009, 01:22:56 am »

You do know you need to establish a fortress in a terrfyingly evil location with adamantine special things and use this to recreate Silent Hill....as in Centralia, Pennsylvania.

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2009, 01:57:02 am »

I'm thinking of installing fire alarm levers to dump large quantities of water onto the booze pile, the main meeting area, and the central stairwell.

Hello, construction Idea.

Also, could you test what happens if you encase one of these Nuclear Bins in obsidian? Does it still bun in cryostasis?
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2009, 04:21:26 am »

Does it burn long enough to find in adventure mode?

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2009, 05:14:01 am »

Does it burn long enough to find in adventure mode?
I think you'd need to leave a box of lignite in a room of your fortress with a connection to a magma tube blocked off by a floodgate.  You'd abandon the fortress, return as an adventurer, and open the floodgate briefly to let in some magma.  Then you'd either drain the magma or wait for it to evaporate, and...  Go set yourself on fire or whatever.  Actually, it might be rather cool to play as a fire-immune adventurer, pick up the ever-burning box, and go play with it.  Travelling might put it out, but if there was a nearby town, you could just navigate there step by step.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2009, 09:51:22 am »

I'm thinking of installing fire alarm levers to dump large quantities of water onto the booze pile, the main meeting area, and the central stairwell.

Hello, construction Idea.
I finished the cistern for the main stairwell. I specially made a realgar mechanism for the lever.

Also, could you test what happens if you encase one of these Nuclear Bins in obsidian? Does it still bun in cryostasis?
I tried that. I channeled out the obsidian and the bin was still there.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:12 pm »

Did your miner start burning?
Also, you can ignite things in adventure mode.  Just pick it up and place it next to a tree, on top of some grass.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:36:59 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2009, 09:12:04 pm »

leave a trail of fire!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14