Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Stupid coal tricks  (Read 35416 times)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid coal tricks
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 09:08:58 pm »

At least we can do bridge elevator. Build 1x1 hatch, every floor one bridge, lock some dwarves just next to levers, open second from bottom, then the first from bottom and immidately second from bottom. With a bit of luck your stuff is one level higher. And you can then transport it horizonraly with water.

No, it evaporates water.

When my first bin quits, I'm going to do some more conclusive tests on fires, by filling my pit with each of the following materials, first by themselves and then in a bin:
Logs.
Wooden blocks.
Charcoal.
Lignite.
Lignite blocks. (outside the bin only, since I already know what it does in the bin)
Coke.
Green glass blocks. (as a control)

I'll also put a hatch in the bottom of the pit first. Then I'll drop the flaming stuff down a z-level, pile more stuff on the hatch, and drop it in to confirm that dropping in another piece of coal should be enough to keep a fire going.
Maybe I'll try booze in an iron barrel, too, or experiment with some more inventive ways to try to put water on it and see if there are some ways to put out fires that work better than others (i.e. at all, in the case of burning coal in a bin), or a significant difference between flaming items inside and out of a bin.

And I definitely want to see someone catapult lignite past a heat bin to see if it catches fire.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 09:28:37 pm »

Does the rough coal still burn?  That opens the potential for using catapults to fire coal past the bins, to set them on fire.  No burning catapults, no burning legendary siege operators, and burning destruction, all at the same time!

I wonder if shooting through a magmafall would work?

Also, magma only heats surrounding tiles to 'warm', but it sounds like burning coal is alot hotter for purposes of radiating heat. I wonder if it transfers enough heat to set things on the level below(etc.- maybe through a floor grate rather than an actual floor) on fire? The distance at which burning coal can ignite other coal would be... interesting, to know.

I have lit bars of charcoal on fire on their own, outside of a bin, then left them to burn after draining the magma.

They were able to melt rocks dropped upon them, even after the magma had disappeared entirely.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 09:37:15 pm »

this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 09:41:04 pm »

I can hear your gears a grinding, Wolfius

I know, I know - 'the blood of my enemies' sounds like a better machine lubricant than it is, really.

Maybe I need oilier enemies?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 09:50:03 pm »

You ever played "Amorphous", or "Amorphous Plus"?  Gloopies.  Those things would be really awesome. They have no organs, or anything, though.  But their really cool.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 10:13:49 pm »

I'm curious about the radiant heat effects on enemies. How far away would it light gobbos on fire, for example? I'd love to have a passageway with bins o' doom in side halls, behind iron doors. Open the doors, and the gobbos get fried. Comedy gold, I tell you.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 01:10:18 am »

I'm curious about the radiant heat effects on enemies. How far away would it light gobbos on fire, for example? I'd love to have a passageway with bins o' doom in side halls, behind iron doors. Open the doors, and the gobbos get fried. Comedy gold, I tell you.

You should be able to test that with caged gobbos, or by recruiting expendable dwarves and stationing them progressively closer until they light up.

Personally I wonder if Kobolds will attempt to steal them, the bins or the burning coal itself if just set out. Like moths to the flame - it's be hilarious.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 01:15:07 am »

Kekpud: Look! That bin has the steel artifact Magmabritches! And out in the open!
 Suzlisid: It could be a trap!
 Kekpud: Isn't our motto "'tis better to die seeking fortune than to live a poor coward?"
 Suzlisid: Yer right! And we can nick that bar of coal they have in there was well!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 02:47:49 am »

two questions -

1) is the steam in dwarf fortress currently as deadly as the steam in the old 2d version was?

2) does pouring water on this lignite-in-iron-bin device generate enough steam to be useful as a defense/weapon?

because ive wanted to do a steam based deathtrap ever since i read boatmurdered. something like floor grates that shoot deadly gusts of steam out of them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:04 am »

It doesn't steam water, it evaporates it.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 03:35:00 am »

Magma / water steam is not deadly these days (I have dwarves walking through it all the time).

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 02:05:06 pm »

It doesn't steam water, it evaporates it.
Pumping water towards my bin does produce some steam, but not enough to make a dwarven sauna.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 02:34:03 pm »

Attempt to shoot pressurized water at it.  Make sure it is pressurized by many many many z-levels.  It moves faster at higher pressures, I heard.

Variance

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's scare some woodcutters, Billy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 05:15:12 pm »

Attempt to shoot pressurized water at it.  Make sure it is pressurized by many many many z-levels.  It moves faster at higher pressures, I heard.
Liquids have no momentum, so you can't really "shoot" them, per se. When they come out of the hole, they just randomly spread out many times faster, to the point of being nearly instantaneous, but they still create a standard pattern of dispersion from the normal water movement mechanics.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:18:16 pm by Variance »
Why is everyone so angry?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2009, 05:48:08 pm »

line the outside of your map with Bins and Blocks and no one enter alive!!!! !! ;D!!

Edit: the spelling gods hate me today.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14