Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Stupid coal tricks  (Read 35405 times)

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid coal tricks
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 07:36:01 pm »

Screw windmills, dwarven coal power plants are the energy of the future.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 08:04:44 pm »

This could be a great way to keep your waterfall from overflowing. You could easily make it so it dropped (after passing through whichever room you wanted it to) into the room with the blocks and thus evaporate, preventing possible catastrophes. Until it burns out.

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »

Could also use it as a failsafe should water flooding ever happen. Dig out an upper level to your fortress, make hatches above key areas where it might flood, link 'em up, and replace the blocks once every, well, whenever they go out. And if the fortress ever begins to flood and, for whatever reason, you can't stop it, drop them down and hope everyone made it to the other side of the bin.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 08:39:17 pm »

Oh my god. You have invented dwarven greek fire.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 09:00:47 pm »

Could also use it as a failsafe should water flooding ever happen. Dig out an upper level to your fortress, make hatches above key areas where it might flood, link 'em up, and replace the blocks once every, well, whenever they go out. And if the fortress ever begins to flood and, for whatever reason, you can't stop it, drop them down and hope everyone made it to the other side of the bin.

How many dwarves does it take to change a flood-prevention bulb?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 01:20:11 am »

just have them dump new fuel onto the burning fuel from above.
The great game of Warlocks!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 01:44:08 am »

I can't help but wonder how well this would work for an ocean draining scheme.

Buy of course, since I already have one block of it from when i confiscated the first caravan, on a map that's gone two years without rain (but the pools haven't dried up, thankfully) and no other water source yet... if the HFS is anything other than that which would consider this an icy obstacle, I think i go it made.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 01:09:17 pm »

If we could just aim a bit better with bridges...imagine building a line of drawbridges with Bins (it deserves the capital letter) set up on them, then launching them into sieges/migrants/nobles/whatever.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 01:34:53 pm »

If we could just aim a bit better with bridges...imagine building a line of drawbridges with Bins (it deserves the capital letter) set up on them, then launching them into sieges/migrants/nobles/whatever.

My idea exactly good sir. Since the firing range is short, might it be worth it to put 5x6 chambers off the sides of your Depot access route? Put floodgates on the tiles bordering the passage, and 5x5 bridges with maybe 7 or 8 Bins on each bridge. Would definitely turn the siege into a flambe. Bonus points if the exit of the passage is a grassland area, so any who try to flee will set their comrades ablaze.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »

Why not have a line of burning bins. Then use a lever to drop a bridge, making this be the only route in to your fortress. Have this area marked restricted as well, so when the bridge is up everyone will take the safe path. But when the bridge is retracted, the only way is through that wall of fire.

Should be useful for migrants, elves, and goblins.  ;D

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 06:51:05 pm »

At least we can do bridge elevator. Build 1x1 hatch, every floor one bridge, lock some dwarves just next to levers, open second from bottom, then the first from bottom and immidately second from bottom. With a bit of luck your stuff is one level higher. And you can then transport it horizonraly with water.

Extremly complicated, could be easier with help of dwarfputer, but who would build it?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 07:14:13 pm »

does this work with wooden blocks as well?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:30 pm »

Does the rough coal still burn?  That opens the potential for using catapults to fire coal past the bins, to set them on fire.  No burning catapults, no burning legendary siege operators, and burning destruction, all at the same time!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 08:58:46 pm »

Does the rough coal still burn?  That opens the potential for using catapults to fire coal past the bins, to set them on fire.  No burning catapults, no burning legendary siege operators, and burning destruction, all at the same time!

I wonder if shooting through a magmafall would work?

Also, magma only heats surrounding tiles to 'warm', but it sounds like burning coal is alot hotter for purposes of radiating heat. I wonder if it transfers enough heat to set things on the level below(etc.- maybe through a floor grate rather than an actual floor) on fire? The distance at which burning coal can ignite other coal would be... interesting, to know.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 09:08:15 pm »

I wonder if shooting through a magmafall would work?

Also, magma only heats surrounding tiles to 'warm', but it sounds like burning coal is alot hotter for purposes of radiating heat. I wonder if it transfers enough heat to set things on the level below(etc.- maybe through a floor grate rather than an actual floor) on fire? The distance at which burning coal can ignite other coal would be... interesting, to know.
I can hear your gears a grinding, Wolfius
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14