Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Stupid coal tricks  (Read 35365 times)

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid coal tricks
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:50 pm »

Is there no possibility to use the fire to power something? (Does water condensate after vaporising?

Well, you can make a less cheesy (and more reliable) infinite water wheel with the fire bin: Just place a water wheel between an infinite water source (ocean, aquifer) and your water-eating fire bin.
Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2009, 05:23:54 pm »

Is there no possibility to use the fire to power something? (Does water condensate after vaporising?

Well, you can make a less cheesy (and more reliable) infinite water wheel with the fire bin: Just place a water wheel between an infinite water source (ocean, aquifer) and your water-eating fire bin.
So, you're using the fire bin as a small, temporary ersatz chasm? That's 10 kinds of awesome!
Don't have a chasm or bottomless pit on your map? No problem! Drain water by using the Bin of Awesomeİ!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2009, 05:45:32 pm »

Actually this would make for an excellent cleanup mechanism.

Side view of entrance / killing field

Code: [Select]
B:_..FWWW <-- cross section of entrance
XB_X  <-- 1 z-level below
.......... <- sorting area
X = wall
B = burning bins
: = wall grate
_ = hatch cover
. = floor
F = floodgate
W = water

Kill gobbos in the killing field, when clear, open floodgate to wash gobbo bits toward bin which evaporates water maintaining a constant water gradient from the source. When everything is washed over close floodgate, bins empty hallway of water, open hatch and drop everything one level down where the next bin incinerates all of the organic bits. When they're burned up, open that hatch and dump the armor and weapons into the sorting area.

You could make this area as long as you wanted and with some clever engineering, get a water gradient set up to push down the length of the hallway as the first step to shove all the junk into one corner for dump/incinerate - sortof like those two-step car crushers that work lengthwise, stop, then work cross-wise.

[Edit] Trolls would be a problem since they'd toss the floodgates and then you've got real trouble, so you'd need to have a means of dealing with them or change the setup some so that perhaps the water is held back by a drawbridge that when down covers a channel that the trolls can't reach over.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:51:12 pm by Martin »

Angellus

« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2009, 05:56:22 pm »

Actually this would make for an excellent cleanup mechanism.

Side view of entrance / killing field

Code: [Select]
B:_..FWWW <-- cross section of entrance
XB_X  <-- 1 z-level below
.......... <- sorting area
X = wall
B = burning bins
: = wall grate
_ = hatch cover
. = floor
F = floodgate
W = water

Kill gobbos in the killing field, when clear, open floodgate to wash gobbo bits toward bin which evaporates water maintaining a constant water gradient from the source. When everything is washed over close floodgate, bins empty hallway of water, open hatch and drop everything one level down where the next bin incinerates all of the organic bits. When they're burned up, open that hatch and dump the armor and weapons into the sorting area.

You could make this area as long as you wanted and with some clever engineering, get a water gradient set up to push down the length of the hallway as the first step to shove all the junk into one corner for dump/incinerate - sortof like those two-step car crushers that work lengthwise, stop, then work cross-wise.

[Edit] Trolls would be a problem since they'd toss the floodgates and then you've got real trouble, so you'd need to have a means of dealing with them or change the setup some so that perhaps the water is held back by a drawbridge that when down covers a channel that the trolls can't reach over.
Pure brilliance!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2009, 06:19:16 pm »

with it you could make a wave machine! the water would go in cycles so things would try to cross in low times and get washed away by the high!
7123456765432g23456
\/
1234567654321g34567
\/
234567654321g345671
\/
34567654321g3456712
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:02 am »

you dont even need the water to do the goblin killing. just take up the idea someone mentioned earlier of doing a looong hallway of these. when an invading force is in the hallway open the walls. wait. then close the walls up again to reclaim all the iron armor, which if things went as planned will be the only thing left.

the bonus with this is that you can do it to the elf caravans.

also, i have never actually ever gotten trolls, ever. though the first one to break a floodgate would get incinerated.

Angellus

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2009, 10:22:27 am »

you dont even need the water to do the goblin killing. just take up the idea someone mentioned earlier of doing a looong hallway of these. when an invading force is in the hallway open the walls. wait. then close the walls up again to reclaim all the iron armor, which if things went as planned will be the only thing left.

the bonus with this is that you can do it to the elf caravans.

also, i have never actually ever gotten trolls, ever. though the first one to break a floodgate would get incinerated.
But this could mean the end of your fortress if one of them comes into your fortress while burning...

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2009, 11:18:33 am »

you can store them in constructs and though i will need to test if they still take damage if it doesn't just pave the hallway then reclaim it after all you flaming masons kill everyone and you would have a very dwarven sucide contigency where you send a dwarf to take apart the floor and let the siege in. all you would have to do is wait for a year or two to get out.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2009, 11:27:06 am »

I have, lots of times. They're fun and easily can screw up a lot of folks defensive setups. Still not that hard to route around once you have some experience with them, but they do complicate things - and they're a fair bit harder to take down with your melee units.

And the point of the water is to deliver the armor to a safe place for sorting so your haulers don't get caught out in harms way. Personally, hallway of instant death isn't appealing to me from a game play standpoint since a single unskilled noble could easily wipe out any size siege simply by pulling levers. Efficient armor recovery is dwarfy, however.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2009, 05:00:55 pm »

So the question that remains:

Bridge (raises) + flaming bin of doom + use = fun? (and burn the world + evry goblin it)

Angellus

« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2009, 02:43:40 pm »

So the question that remains:

Bridge (raises) + flaming bin of doom + use = fun? (and burn the world + evry goblin it)
Simple, bridge trows your enemy 3 z-levels down onto a flaming bin.

profit.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2009, 02:52:10 pm »

Do bins fall if they are on a retractable bridge thats retracted (does anything do that for that matter)? If you could do that... 
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »

Supposedly they fall, but I've read stories of players who say the retracting drawbridges scatter their items like a flinging one.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2009, 03:22:47 pm »

Supposedly they fall, but I've read stories of players who say the retracting drawbridges scatter their items like a flinging one.
Russian Dwarven Roulette anyone?

Just position a number of dorfs around a retracting bridge with a bin on it, pull the lever, and hope for the best.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2009, 04:36:41 pm »

Wait, what happens if you catch a creature with a high fixed temperature in a cage?  Or even perhaps a creature on fire?  Would either of those actually become a truly permanent heat source that would never, even after a long time, go out?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14