Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Announcement related suggestion  (Read 716 times)

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
Announcement related suggestion
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:34:16 pm »

Reading yesterday's devblog...
As long as you're redoing these notices, I'd suggest having the ability to set all notices to, say, 'display' (or whatever 'show/don't show' you're already going to be doing) but also have the options of 'pause', 'center on announcement', and whatever other things already happen on announcements for all of the announcements. So if you felt like it you could have it pause and recenter on dwarves cancelling jobs, or you could have it display the announcement and recenter on hitting warm/damp stone, but not pause. Or display and pause, or center and pause, so on.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement related suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 03:11:15 pm »

It does sound like you'll be able to turn all those things on or off for all of the announcements he's updating.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:18:09 pm »

I think the point was being able to select Announce-Center-Pause each individually, for each event.  Sometimes you'll want to pause but not center, sometimes center but not pause, sometimes both, sometimes neither.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:45:48 pm »

I think the point was being able to select Announce-Center-Pause each individually, for each event.  Sometimes you'll want to pause but not center, sometimes center but not pause, sometimes both, sometimes neither.

I guess I'm missing something.  How else would it be done?  A fixed list of options like:
a) Do nothing
b) Pause
c) Pause and zoom
d) Pause, zoom, pop up box

I can't imagine he'd do it that way.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:55 pm »

some of the talk looks like it might be a fixed 'do something' or 'don't do anything', with no option of how it gets handled.  That's how I read it, anyway

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:52 pm »

Yeah, that was the same impression that I got, Granite.
Better to suggest it and have Toady think 'Oh, yeah, that's what I'm doing.  ::)' than not have it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:11:25 am »

Better to suggest it and have Toady think 'Oh, yeah, that's what I'm doing.  ::)' than not have it.

This is definitely true.