Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Failed Moods and Stupid Players  (Read 4671 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Failed Moods and Stupid Players
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 07:26:24 pm »

biggest problem for me is that i dont have any pools (desert) and only an underground river which only give cave fish nothing else and almost 50% of my dwarfs want those damn shell, really need to decrease the amount of shells needed for moods as my only one i saved was that a human caravan with turtles came last minute.
The fish available in water have nothing to do with where the water came from but rather what biome it is in. Turtles are present in every biome but I suppose that might not include bedrock so pump some of that water up to or near the surface into an artificial (or preexisting,) pond and you'll have yourself some turtles.

*you can fish turtles out of a single tile channeled into an aquifer so you don't need to get all that close to the surface depending on the map.

im not playing on that desert map anymore, as it ended in a bloodbath with reclaiming forces and SoF. thanks anyway but i dont think turtles can be fished in the underwater cave but maybe doing an artificial lake will do, i have not tested but it would be great if someone did.
I thought the fishing turtles out of an aquifer thing was example enough of how fish work.
Though to be fair this is all second hand knowledge I got from another thread where people sounded like they knew what they were talking about as I've almost read more than I've played :/
Guess you could take it up in the mythbuster thread.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 07:32:21 pm »

anyway come to think about that cave rivers got lobsters instead which also got shells so this makes it unneccesary to bring the water to the surface
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 07:37:35 pm »

I think it's fun to scramble to gather resources for the dorfs as they demand them. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I win most of the time but then a dorf went berserk. He chased a cat to the far reaches of the map and I thought "this will be good practice for my recruits!" ... and he killed them off before more seasoned marksdwarves could take him down.

Lesson learned... was still fun though, I'll do it again.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 07:51:07 pm »

i tip. if you see a berserk catch a normal dwarf, draft him as otherwise he wont fight back. he may not win alone but he can distract him longer if he fights back.

also the only moods i lose are those that require impossible things, like glass on a sandless map as ive learned alot to store up on shells and etc.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 08:10:49 pm »

anyway come to think about that cave rivers got lobsters instead which also got shells so this makes it unneccesary to bring the water to the surface
Quote from: Phazer
and only an underground river which only give cave fish nothing else
It sounded like you were fishing it but just not getting anything but cave fish.
Were you actually not trying to fish it because you didn't think you could get shells?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 08:26:12 pm »

I believe I've only ever had one failed mood due to lack of equipment(had another that wanted leather, but I managed to get that in the nick of time) and one or two moods that failed because I didn't want to waste the resources.

As I recall, the mood that failed because a dwarf wanted something I didn't have was because he wanted some sort of gemstone that I hadn't found(or even heard of).  You can't really plan for that kind of thing.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 11:22:46 pm »

I've had two moods fail on my most recent fortress because of demands for specific materials...They were both mooks who settled in a craftdwarf shop, so it wasn't a big loss. One was demanding Bones, Stone, Metal Bars, Leather, and Thread all of which I had massive stockpiles of. I've heard dwarfs can get stuck on one item in the list, demanding things you have if you're missing a single material. This is true, right? Cause I could swear I had every kind of thread...

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 04:32:43 am »

Quote from: Phazer
and only an underground river which only give cave fish nothing else
It sounded like you were fishing it but just not getting anything but cave fish.
Were you actually not trying to fish it because you didn't think you could get shells?

really didnt try that much or my river wasent full of cave lobsters cant say now when i deleted the world.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 12:39:16 pm »

lol @ the thought of minmaxing DF.

Honestly, I don't think you understand DF if you think people posting "horror" stories of their moody dwarves dying are complaining. It's much more rewarding to have a dwarf go insane and mix things up then produce an artifact pigtail sock, something you'll see far more often than anything useful.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »

actually the biggest problem in todays forts are the dwarves temper, and their logic (as they got none)

a dwarf named Urist Mcugly got a wife named Mebzuth Mcblabbermouth
they got 2 sons named Edzul Mcscream and Monom Mccalm
edzul dies in an combat accident.
the mother rampages and kill the son and the father.
the mother is now sad that theyre dead too.
now she continues to try to kill more dwarves but are cut down by Litast Mcmanly

this could be fun if you want to lose but if youve come far and hate to reclaim its a nightmare.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 03:14:15 pm »

I just assumed all dwarfs are bipolar. It explains the tantrums, the moods, the drinking...

Besides, those all add to the Fun.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 08:55:16 pm »

For the record, my last three failed moods have been due to the dwarves wanting raw uncut gems. Even though my fortress is multilayered I still haven't found any.

Pretty crappy rock is my payment for a map with an underground river right above my entrance.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 10:14:10 pm »

Wow, OP seems to be rather full of himself. ::)
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]