Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP: possesed dwarf demands 'burning wood'  (Read 1117 times)

malkmus2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HELP: possesed dwarf demands 'burning wood'
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:07:20 pm »

My extremely important, legendary armorsmith got possesed, sits in his furnace and demands - among other things, i do have - burning wood. originally i thought burning wood could be ashes or charcoal - but i do have them, i basically have everything except adamantine.

Does anybody know what to do in this case? i lost my last armorsmith - he wasn't legendary but already a grandmaster - to a strange mood. And i had to forge (and melt) hundreds of copper greaves to get a legendary armorsmith.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
Re: HELP: possesed dwarf demands 'burning wood'
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:10 pm »

Have a screenshot?

Do you run any mods?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:15:52 pm »

Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 03:51:41 pm »

Never noticed the burning wood one before.

malkmus2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:09:27 pm »

Zaranthan: i do know that we have a wiki and i use it before posting - i simply skipped the part about burning wood. answering 'it's glass, see the wiki' would have been a more polite and appropriate answer to my question.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:30:56 am »

I answered your question and said please. Did you want me to kiss your forehead and ruffle your hair?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:18:23 pm »

we also have a forum community of people who are generally freindly and enjoy answering questions, so feel free to use that too.  ask whatever you like.

every so often we get "readthefaqasshole" types. but they usually dont stay more than a few months, once they realize that theres a general culture of HELPFULNESS here and it really isnt that much like the rest of the internet.

I'd never heard of burning wood, either.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:56:41 pm »

I answered your question and said please. Did you want me to kiss your forehead and ruffle your hair?

Would have been nice, I'm sure. World needs more love.

:D

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 02:47:31 pm »

This was actually much more useful to be asked here on the forums. I've never heard of that either. I learned something  :P

Cultiststeve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:42:53 pm »

the wiki is esactly for questions like this. Its not hard to find, the anwser isnt hidden anywhere. Not any need to ask on fourms rly. Doesnt make all that much differnce

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 04:27:27 pm »

Hello!

I was at first hesitant to comment on this, but I feel it should be stressed again:

It is correct and good to inform people about the Wiki. However, it is not necessary nor good for the forum atmosphere to be aggressive about it.

The original link to the Wiki was presented in a very provocative tone and seemed to imply frustration about the OP not having found the answer to the question in the Wiki before asking here.

If people actually go to the trouble of looking up the correct link and then share it, why don't they want to invest those two additional minutes to be nice about it? After all, by being all agressive and things, you do not really make people like you, and when you need help/information/cheering, it becomes less likely that you will get it as people may remember how you spurned them. On the other hand, if you give a friendly reply and include the link to the Wiki in it, you have both the effect that the person is encouraged to use the Wiki AND the person is thankful for you doing so, increasing your status.

At least that is the way I see the situation and the way I felt about the reply in question.

As for the original question, even without the Wiki, I would probably have suggested making clear glass - I got called names by the Elven traders once because I wanted to sell them clear glass, so the association between clear glass and wood was very fresh. In addition, when you create clear glass, you go through basically all forms of ash (ashes -> potash -> pearlash), so should it be some special ash after all, it would appear during the process and get claimed as needed.

I do not mean to criticize the OP, but I think that this burning wood riddle is actually a very nice riddle Toady One devised, and at least I was reminded that before we refer to the Wiki or ask people here, we may also approach obstacles in this game as riddles. With all the unexpectedness and complexity of DF, we may begin to mystify it, but in the end, it is a game simulating a consistent world. So there is a lot we as the players can actually figure out. For me, this question has revitalized the vigor of the intellectual challenge of DF, and for this awareness raising, I am actually thankful to the OP.

Deathworks

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 05:15:45 pm »

I do not mean to criticize the OP, but I think that this burning wood riddle is actually a very nice riddle Toady One devised, and at least I was reminded that before we refer to the Wiki or ask people here, we may also approach obstacles in this game as riddles. With all the unexpectedness and complexity of DF, we may begin to mystify it, but in the end, it is a game simulating a consistent world. So there is a lot we as the players can actually figure out. For me, this question has revitalized the vigor of the intellectual challenge of DF, and for this awareness raising, I am actually thankful to the OP.

Another quick response before I lose internet for the weekend. My previous posts were serious, not mocking. I honestly felt my tone was civil, especially since I was giving a direct link to the answer.  While I understand the benefits of being overly pleasant and helpful, I do not appreciate the popular feeling on the internet that "my time and effort are worth more than anyone else's, so I'll just wait for someone to spoon-feed me what I want." Given that his question could be answered by going to the wiki and searching for "burning wood," it's certainly a fair assumption that he did not do so. Why should I put more effort into answering his question than he put into asking it?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 05:20:33 pm »

Nice Point!!! I agree.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 07:33:27 pm »

Why should I put more effort into answering his question than he put into asking it?

well, then don't.  just let it slide, and let someone else answer the question.  if it bothers you, let it go.  there used to be a whole cadre of "read the wiki" posters on this board, and this discussion has been had before.  It will probalby be had again.

The wiki is worth having and maintaining.  its very nice indeed.  the ability to talk to people on the forums with noob questions, and learn things about the game that you wouldnt have thought of on your own is also valueable.

the ability to welcome people to a small and friendly community for a niche game is also valueable.  some of us enjoy being nice.  please dont scare away our target audience, as we will then have no one left to be nice to, and we will be sad.

:'(