Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for a newbie: Where to go from here?  (Read 661 times)

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
Suggestions for a newbie: Where to go from here?
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:21:06 am »

So, my current fortress(Something like 12th in all) is a mess but it's stabilized around some features like a mining level, moat with trapped opening, murder holes over the entrance(in progress, the mason is a party animal).
Could anyone suggest projects of reasonable complexity (remember the newbie part of the topic subject ;) ) to undertake?

I don't have much in the way of resources yet, some Nickel(and more garnierite) and 3 measly bars of platinum. Lots of bauxite too but no magma that I'm aware of. Lots of jewel-encrusted crafts to trade needed stuff for though.

I'll edit with an unimpressive DFMAP archive link if I can get the compressor to work without throwing exception tantrums all over..
Done: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4719-bridgedbrands
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:47:13 am by Hellfish »
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a newbie: Where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:56:41 am »

I learned a LOT when I decided to send waterfalls through the entry rooms of all my bedroom levels and into my dining room.  Have you tried that yet?

Dawnkeeper

• Bay Watcher
  • carpe noctem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:04:05 am »

Where to go from here?

Downwards  ;D

I'm no expert myself, but i'd move all stockpiles and the depot inside, get some defences in form of a channel and a drawbridge (goblin ambushes with a fort fully accessable can get ... FUN) and start making living nice for your dwarfs (smoothed dining room)
Quote from: Toady One
02/22/2009: I fixed the brain problem.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:09:12 am »

I learned a LOT when I decided to send waterfalls through the entry rooms of all my bedroom levels and into my dining room.  Have you tried that yet?
No, but you just inspired me to try and make a shower room  ;D
Where to go from here?

Downwards  ;D

I'm no expert myself, but i'd move all stockpiles and the depot inside, get some defences in form of a channel and a drawbridge (goblin ambushes with a fort fully accessable can get ... FUN) and start making living nice for your dwarfs (smoothed dining room)
But then what would my marksdwarfes and wrestlers do?  :(
Hmm, get them inside... Okay, but They'll stay where they are! *starts building walls and roof*

EDIT: On a side note, anyway to stop the constant partying? My miners,my mason and my leader have partied away an entire season soon and missed a caravan already.  >:( Lazy drunkards.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:11:46 am by Hellfish »
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Dawnkeeper

• Bay Watcher
  • carpe noctem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:18:57 am »

I use a setup with:
1st a drawbridge
2nd a hallway of traps
3rd another hallway thats channeld out on the sides, with fortifications behind which the marksdwarfs can stand
4th another drawbridge
5th a hallway that leads by the soldiers baracks
6th yet another drawbridge

All bridges are controllable from the baracks and inside the (civilian)fort.
May be bit of an overkill but works fine.

I've also walled in a part of the forest and a lake to get wood and fish.
Makes me vulnerable to aerial attakers, but thats where marksdwarfs come in.
Quote from: Toady One
02/22/2009: I fixed the brain problem.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:36:25 am »

EDIT: On a side note, anyway to stop the constant partying? My miners,my mason and my leader have partied away an entire season soon and missed a caravan already.  >:( Lazy drunkards.

Don't designate meeting halls from buildings, such as wells, cages, tables designated as meeting halls, or statues. If you have any cancell them. Instead use the area zoner (i) to designate a meeting area, where idle dwarves and animals will congregate but will not party.

Edit: If you have a very large fortress with more Dwarves than you can give work to then you may want to let them party. I prefer just to make them do busywork however.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:02:07 am by Onlyhestands »
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:57:00 pm »

Don't designate meeting halls from buildings, such as wells, cages, tables designated as meeting halls, or statues. If you have any cancell them. Instead use the area zoner (i) to designate a meeting area, where idle dwarves and animals will congregate but will not party.

Edit: If you have a very large fortress with more Dwarves than you can give work to then you may want to let them party. I prefer just to make them do busywork however.
Thanks, that took care of it.

Now I got a couple of projects going at least, thanks....OHDEARGODIMMIGRANTFLOOD... Hi guys, what the hell am I gonna have all of you do...and eat.. and sleep?? Yay, another project I guess. ;D