Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggestion: Nets  (Read 3222 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Nets
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 12:29:36 pm »

Nets as weapons would be great.  While they aren't exactly medieval (I think), they are definitely Roman.  Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius, my favorite type of gladiator.  I don't really see dwarfs using the nets for combat (more for hunting and fishing), seeing as how being lower to the ground make getting a good throw in difficult, but it seems like something humans/gobbos would love, and elves would hate.  Would also make for a good adventure mode item, I reckon.

Also, nets could be a good component for traps.  While I imagine traps will be completely redone at some point, it seems like a stonefall trap should require something to hold up the stones, with a chance of breaking on use.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »

The only purpose of a net as a weapon would be to roll/increase the chances of a roll to somehow subdue the creature, I myself find catching gobos and wild hostiles to much of a hassle without building a cage-trap ridden entrance, which in my opinion isn't too fun...

Dwarf Fortress gets much of its challenge from player-imposed restrictions, therefore I don't use simple traps (which are capable of taking down a mega-beast with a single lucky stone-fall   ???)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 08:43:38 am »

The only purpose of a net as a weapon would be to roll/increase the chances of a roll to somehow subdue the creature,

or... you throw the net on the guy, he's entangled, and while he can't get out you cut him up.... It's like have a wrestler grabbing their weapon arm....

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 10:17:09 am »

The only purpose of a net as a weapon would be to roll/increase the chances of a roll to somehow subdue the creature, I myself find catching gobos and wild hostiles to much of a hassle without building a cage-trap ridden entrance, which in my opinion isn't too fun...

Dwarf Fortress gets much of its challenge from player-imposed restrictions, therefore I don't use simple traps (which are capable of taking down a mega-beast with a single lucky stone-fall   ???)

I don't disagree that it could possibly have marginal use in fortress mode.  I was thinking more for adventure mode, or the odd job that, by definition, requires capturing and subduing.  For some reason, I see the fisherdwarf using a net to fish.  In lieu of dynamite, of course.  As far as player-imposed restrictions go, I would say that is more an artifact (Toady has entered a strange mood?) of the game's youth.  Pretty much anything unbalanced (traps, archers, carp, cats) has at least been acknowledged.

While I'm not currently a huge adventure mode fan, a net strikes me as a good way of taking down weaker foes to reduce the risk of weird random deaths (which should hopefully be fewer anyway with the new tissues system).  Assuming you have a really bitchin' net, you could use it to deflect and tangle weapons, too.  I just can't let this idea die; I want an army of retiarii.  Or crossbows that shoot nets.  (spiiiiiderman, spiiiiiderman...)
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Threlicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 10:52:11 am »

Necro'd! I was thinking about corpses and reanimation based on another thread, and if corpses are going to rise as zombies, it becomes more important to recover the bodies of your dead dwarves. Since accidental drowning seems to be a pretty frequent cause of death in my forts, at least, it seems to me that recovering submerged bodies would be something important... and that brings me to nets, which could be used to dredge out a water zone from z+1 (or more, potentially, I suppose). Right now, recovering a drowned dwarf's body from a river or channeled-out brook is a pretty challenging engineering feat, which shouldn't be that challenging at all.

I don't see this use of nets having been suggested before, so there it is...

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 05:48:06 pm »

As far as player-imposed restrictions go, I would say that is more an artifact (Toady has entered a strange mood?) of the game's youth.  Pretty much anything unbalanced (traps, archers, carp, cats) has at least been acknowledged.

I disagree, dwarf fortress is a wierd mutated offspring of a roguelike and a sandbox management game.  These two genres have player imposed restrictions so it is natural that they will remain with DF throughout its development, and into the finished product.

But to rephrase:  I have uses for caged hostiles, yet static cage traps will completely neutralize the invading force, leaving no skulls for my drarves and multi-tile traps to bash.  I would like the option to use nets as weapons and capture a very precise number of X.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »

I think the catapult firing a net to catch a flying skeletal eagle would be nice, or just a dwarf throwing it up.
If it gets caught it loses flying ability (: bye bye birdy.

The catching of falling wrestles who dodge off a ledge would be nice(then again I just build a bridge below that leads back up but sometimes they are injured an then kill by the enermy).

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 12:45:55 am »

Heh, I like this net idea. The slipping part though, truely catches my eye. I reckon adding something like that would add quite a new edge to building and designing buildings all together. I'm sure a large amount of people would demand an int choice for it though.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 04:40:52 am »

Well as far as I notice my miners they fall very often and nets would help them quite a lot(during the project to make light fall on my meeting hall 4 miners died and 3 were injured).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 10:45:38 am »

Nets sound good and practical, though I'd sugget having different kinds of nets, weighted ones and free ones. Weighted ones would be good for fighting as well as dredging for submerged bodies, (the material determines how well it traps the individual or dredges). Free ones would be the typical fishing kind that could also be used in constructions.

Using different sizes of net would also be important, you could have small nets for throwing larger distances and catching birds or prey, but you need larger ones to restrain bigger stuff like people and dragons, (Probably call the ones to catch dragons dragon nets I guess =P). Also for catching people from dangerous heights a large net for a 3x3 net building wouldnt be bad. Variations in net types right down to the size of the holes may be warranted or be too much detail.

I'd assume failiure to attack with a net would be like failiures in combat now, enemies dodge and you aren't always on the mark. Slipping though as mentioned in this thread wouldn't go unmissed but comments on speed restrictions to negate failiure are also warranted. Adding ropes on walls for dwarves to hold onto wouldn't be bad for helping this either.
Pages: 1 [2]