Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Becoming a legendary...  (Read 3254 times)

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
Becoming a legendary...
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:49:14 pm »

How do you become a legendary easily without risk to your life. This applies to skills like wrestling, swordweilding, the like.

This is assuming, of course, that it does not include: Demons, Skeletons, Zombies, Evil things, elephants, carp, and anything else thats nasty of the manner.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming a legendary...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:53:09 pm »

It is simple...

A) Throwing increases in skill even if you don't throw something at something else
B) Swimming and Sneak can be raised easily (Warning: Swimming CAN be dangerous if you don't know what your doing)
C) Combat skills are easy especially since it raises at the same rate if your fighting a bunny or a Dragon... or... both!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:16:56 pm »

Bunaragon the firebreathing bunny!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31:54 pm »

It is simple...

A) Throwing increases in skill even if you don't throw something at something else
B) Swimming and Sneak can be raised easily (Warning: Swimming CAN be dangerous if you don't know what your doing)
C) Combat skills are easy especially since it raises at the same rate if your fighting a bunny or a Dragon... or... both!

However, you spend more time per dragon, so you have to spend less time finding them.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:10:26 am »

How do you become a legendary easily without risk to your life. This applies to skills like wrestling, swordweilding, the like.

This is assuming, of course, that it does not include: Demons, Skeletons, Zombies, Evil things, elephants, carp, and anything else thats nasty of the manner.
Either steal coins (not recomended) or sell some items for coins so you get a few hundred.
Stand in the corner and throw coins at your self (the same block you are in) After 500 or so you are legendary... I did this and it only took 15 or 20 minutes. After that I found some wolfs and threw a sock at it breaking a leg and wounding other parts. I then threw a human corpse I had with me (no reason) and broke a wolf's back. Basically, anything is deadly so just in case you drop your sword have a few socks with you.  ;)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:36:19 am »

Or you can find a nice place of pebbles, and sand to get infinite amounts of items to throw.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:40:46 pm »

or just throw money. Since money restacks like little else does.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:31:01 pm »

Money restacks?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:52:30 pm »

1) Money was already mentioned in much greater detail.
2) Restacking in Adventure mode isn't implemented yet.  I call BS.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:02:58 am »

1) Money was already mentioned in much greater detail.
2) Restacking in Adventure mode isn't implemented yet.  I call BS.

Restacking done YOURSELF, maybe.

Find merchant. Trade them back their money for goods. Trade goods back for money.
The money is now restacked.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:22:42 am »

For legendary weapon user status, unfortunately you must do a bit of grinding.
The only legendary sword master I had killed wolves and bears for one game year.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 08:09:08 am »

What I do to train is to wander around the world killing ambushers. However I try to only maim/make them unconcious and then choke them to death. This gives you both weapon xp, and wrestling xp(which makes you dodge more often).
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 05:02:27 am »

hah. onlyhestands talks of wrestling wildlife like bears and wolves to death. and his profile picture is of one Mr liver eating johnsen, one of those hardcore american pioneering types who probably did that sort of thing for real.

ive heard reccomendations for finding something like a zombie hoary marmot, disabling your own strike back response so you dont accidentally kill it, then lying on the ground next to it to level armor and shield use while you go away to make yourself lunch and watch tv.

also, if you are after wrestling, grabbing small helpless animals and methodically breaking every tiny bone in their body is aparently a good way to go. as well as whenever something gets badly hurt, falls over, or falls unconcious and cant fight back. although i dont know if you get the same xp bonus from unconcious enimies.

i think clothes stealing may also work to give xp to wrestling. aparently you can do this to sleeping people without waking them up. dont know if that is counted as stealing if you do it in town though.

not tried any of these things myself, but they are worth a go.

EDIT: oho, here is the thread i saw some of these things in - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30225.0

lots of good ideas in there. aparently using a weapon on anything asleep or unconcious gives no xp, but wrestling does. also, they reccomend finding something small, undead and mostly harmless, like the afforementioned zombie hairy marmot, and spending a few days attempting to strangle it to death, running away when exhausted. because zombies dont need to breathe it wont die that way, and you will skill up fast. i find that hilarious.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:07:36 am by Cheshire Cat »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 11:54:31 pm »

5 Rope Reed Socks- More than enough to kill a man.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 02:35:04 am »

My strategy has always been to turn on sneaking first.  Walk as many steps as it takes to find some stones on the ground.  Turn off sneaking, start the get-throw macro (g-a-space-t-e-enter-space).  Walk away for 20 minutes.

That will generally get you legendary thrower and your first group of stat gains.  It will also be about the time you get thirsty.  Travel 1 step, and start sneaking as soon as you enter the location.  Now you just step back and forth with a macro (4-6).  You will have to do this a few times to get legendary at sneaking.

Now you are finally ready to tackle some combat skills.  Just travel until you get ambushed.  It shouldn't be too hard to kill all but 1 of your attackers.  Press C to adjust your combat settings turning off the strike and setting dodge to stand ground.  Lie down and hit '.' repeatedly.  This will train wrestling, armor user, and shield user.  You have to watch out for strangling your opponent.  When it starts to happen release the grasp on the throat and return to pressing period.  When the thing passes out from exhaustion or you accidently kill it travel again.  If you do get undead with your first ambush then you don't have to worry about strangling it and should grasp its throat at the outset for a faster xp gain in wrestling.

If you did things right up to this point you should have a pretty solid wrestling and shield user with decent armor user.  For your next ambush consider keeping 3 or 4 things alive.  That will finish off most of your training.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: [1] 2