Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Criticism of a nation is equal to criticism of a ethnic group within that nation  (Read 26341 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

misused and misquoted as Kruschschshchchev's "we will bury you"
What, when he took his shoe off at a UN meeting, banged it on his desk, and shouted ~"We will outlast you, we will bury you!"?

I don't remember the exact quote, but my history textbook was very detailed (hence why I don't remember) and I got the impression the guy was in fact insane.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm guessing that was an American history book?

Regardless any anything else the guy did, the quote is mistranslated as "We will bury you" (which sounds like a threat). It's better translated as "We will live to see you buried" meaning essentially "we will outlast you."
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

There are laws in America against that sort of thing.  Trail of Tears?  In the history textbook.  Slavery?  Segregation?  In the history textbook.  It was also a very new history textbook, so there's no logical reason for what you are implying.

America is a democratic republic.  You can't easily get away with hiding something.  It's nigh-impossible.

Also, you can look it up online.  It's a more difficult search, but there is no restriction on internet viewing in America like there is in Communist countries.  It's actually quite a problem here.

Why do you seem to think everyone and everything is horribly corrupt and full of conspiracy?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Every single book ever written contains to varying degrees the bias of the author(s) (and often the bias of those funding the author), textbooks included. Think critically and never accept anything you read or are taught as absolute fact and you will be one step ahead of most people.

You'd be surprised how much a government can hide. If a situation is so big and ugly that they can't hide it, well then at least they can try and spin it in a way that lessens its ugliness.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Every single book ever written contains to varying degrees the bias of the author(s) (and often the bias of those funding the author), textbooks included. Think critically and never accept anything you read or are taught as absolute fact and you will be one step ahead of most people.
So be a paranoid idiot, you're saying?  No, I don't think it's automatically fact because I read it.  I thought about it and there is simply no logical reason for someone to try to persuade 21st century students that someone from the middle of the 20th century did something he didn't really do.  And the government can't do anything about the internet.  Simple fact.  If they could, they would be keeping us from leaving the country as well.  Essentially, they'd be commies, and I would know nothing of the darker days of America's past.  Also, textbooks are written and revised by many people, not just a single person.  For a single person, the textbook I had would be impossible.

I feel like I'm surrounded by conspiracy theorists.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:59:48 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Jude
Bunch of things...Bush never said God told him to invade Iraq...just implied it. Although you could call that posturing too - he got elected by the religious right and pandered to them a lot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml

The BBC claims that he did.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

America is a democratic republic.  You can't easily get away with hiding something.  It's nigh-impossible.

Also, you can look it up online.  It's a more difficult search, but there is no restriction on internet viewing in America like there is in Communist countries.  It's actually quite a problem here.

Why do you seem to think everyone and everything is horribly corrupt and full of conspiracy?

I have no idea what most of your post is even about, since it has no relation to what I'm saying other than the first paragraph

There are laws in America against that sort of thing.  Trail of Tears?  In the history textbook.  Slavery?  Segregation?  In the history textbook.  It was also a very new history textbook, so there's no logical reason for what you are implying.
I was implying that an American book, by American authors, might have a tendency to portray America's enemies - even dead ones - more negatively than an objective outsider might.

Kind of ironic, since you're the ones imputing things into our posts that aren't there...

Anyway, whether or not Bush explicitly said God told him to go to war, he pretty clearly thinks he did. What a failure of democracy the last 8 years was.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

Sheesh. Here we go again.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just think of it as a rollercoaster ride Yanlin. WHEEEE!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

Just think of it as a rollercoaster ride Yanlin. WHEEEE!
Don't, a derailed rollercoaster is not as fun to the participents as a derailed train or thread is.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Kind of ironic, since you're the ones imputing things into our posts that aren't there...
You were implying bias in American education system:
1)  Most of the stuff sold here comes from out of the country.  That book was probably written by several people from all different countries.
2)  Someone else took what you said and built on it, implying America's government controls the media.  Which it can't.  That's why I only quoted that one little bit of your post.

Now stop being so argumentative.  It's annoying.
Just so I remember

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, the CORPORATES run the media.
and government are run by corporates too...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

and government are run by corporates too...
Not really.  Too many competing companies exist in America.  The Media Corporations are also different from most of those from which politicians come.

Of course, not all politicians are from corporations, either.
Just so I remember

Electronic Phantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Um... I feel like I should point out something here.

America is NOT a Democracy.  It's a Constitutional Republic.  The two are not the same.

I feel like this distinction is important.

-(e)EP
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16