Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Criticism of a nation is equal to criticism of a ethnic group within that nation  (Read 26359 times)

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My understanding was that Nuclear power created waste that while we cant currently destroy it, we can store in barrels. However it is clean besides that.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

Those barrels wont last long enough for the waste to decay. We'll have to repackage them eventually. By that eventually, they would probably be all forgotten about. They must be stockpiled DEEP underground where they can cause no harm.

I heard some promising things about Thorium reactors though.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's a thorium reactor?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

Basically same as nuclear but less powerful. Also leave waste that decays within reasonable time and can be easily contained in caskets.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Discussion about "Iranian nuclear program for PEACEFUL PURPOSES!!11!1" has pretty much very little to do with this topic.
* Servant Corps shrugs.

I guess that since the embers die, I guess I could lock it, but I don't want to, especially since, well, people want to talk.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:32:53 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

Aye. The original topic has been discussed to death.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Aye. The original topic has been discussed to death.
Actually, surprisingly, G.W. Bush never came up.  I have to say I'm surprised.  But it's a different topic now.

On the subject of nuclear power, dumping it underground doesn't sound like the best solution.  Radioactivity  can be detected, yes?  Then we should easily be able to create and maintain some sort of lead-plated waste storage facility, set to have an alarm go off when the waste needs to be repackaged.  It might be a bit costly, and maybe not too efficient, but it seems safer than sticking it underground where an earthquake or flood could bring up some radioactive particles again.

Also, nuclear waste can now be recycled to some extent, reducing the amount of actual waste.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

What you just described was the entire plan of burying them underground. This facility will exist. Underground.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Also, nuclear waste can now be recycled to some extent, reducing the amount of actual waste.

I always wondered why they don't use nuclear waste to generate energy. I mean you've got piles of it, and it's kinda hot due to all the radio-activity. Why not use that heat for something usefull? Or am I missing something?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

The remaining "waste" is simply not hot enough. It radiates harmful particles, but doesn't generate enough heat to be useful in power generating processes.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interestingly, sociological study tells us that the Iranians (or any smaller power) having nukes actually REDUCES the likelihood of nuclear war ever happening. The reason being that the bigger the power disparity between two parties in conflict, the more likely violence is to occur. It's the same principle as MAD.

Not, of course, that that makes me any happier about the idea of nukes existing in general. But in addition to the fact that it's impossible to make a moral case for America and nobody else having nukes, you also have that pattern.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

Of course the risk would logically be reduced. But the others that have nukes are not on an insane genocidal quest. (North Korea excluded. But I don't think they are that crazy.)

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Of course the risk would logically be reduced. But the others that have nukes are not on an insane genocidal quest. (North Korea excluded. But I don't think they are that crazy.)

Yeah . . . those must not be good sociologists.  And America is not the only nation that has nukes.  Russia, France, England(?), etc.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

The amount of security on the Russian missiles are frightningly inadequate from what I hear. I'd hate to have Russia fall to anyone just for that reason.

But back to Iran, despite what sociologists say, I would like to point out that no nuclear war has ever broken out on this planet, so we really have nothing to base likelyhood of it ever happening as there is precident to base this upon (feel free to argue against this though). The fact that their targets are distributed means that it is a lot less likely that any ecology, much less humans, can ever survive on a larger scale than ever before.

Say what you want about the cold war, but as it stands, if the cold war did turn into a nuclear war then most of Africa should survive as there are no valuble targets worth bombing within there, wheras who knows what would happen in todays world, as the new person with the big guns might just aim them at the world that doesn't agree with him.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Supposedly some of the former Soviet Republics got their hands on nukes (though of course they don't have the capacity for production). Its pretty worrying given how corrupt and lax the security of some of these nations are.

Although:
http://us.oneworld.net/node/139251

Heres a list of countries with nukes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_with_nuclear_weapons
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16