Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Criticism of a nation is equal to criticism of a ethnic group within that nation  (Read 26295 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, if you're convinced that Hamas faked all the deaths in Gaza to make Israel look bad, you should at least bother to make a daily habit of reading the BBC or another reputable international news source. You might find out a few things that surprise you.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

Look you. Wtf do you want? You're taking EVERYTHING I say out of proportion and context. I never said Hammas faked all the deaths. All you did so far was make slanderous claims and insult me.

Again. Why do I even bother?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When did I insult you

Anyway my point is that since I pointed out a bunch of things that are basically common knowledge and you seemed to consider them "slander", it would probably benefit you to read (for example) the BBC regularly. That's pretty much all I'm saying

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

You are one of the most obnoxious hypocrites I have ever seen.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Three men make a tiger
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2009, 04:24:26 pm »

Now, now, Yanlin, that's not necessary.  I'm not going to mark you and I hope nobody else does either, because there's been a lot of decent discussion in this topic and I don't agree with Toady's policy of locking a topic when 90% of the people are having civilized discussion and one or two asshats ruin it for everybody.  But, please, tone it down a little.

To provide content of my own, I find that "three men make a tiger" applies as well in the modern world as it did in medieval China.  Only instead of three men, you rely on three news stations.  During the beginning of the invasion of Iraq, I noticed some discrepancies between CNN's coverage of the fall of Baghdad and the BBC's coverage of the same.  As we've already pointed out, if Fox News tells you the sky is blue, you better look out the window before you agree.  However, if Fox News, the BBC, and Al-Jazeera agree that something happened, you can be pretty sure that it really happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_men_make_a_tiger

Strife, what was the point of quoting that exchange between Jude and Granite?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Three men make a tiger
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2009, 04:51:54 pm »

Now, now, Yanlin, that's not necessary.  I'm not going to mark you and I hope nobody else does either, because there's been a lot of decent discussion in this topic and I don't agree with Toady's policy of locking a topic when 90% of the people are having civilized discussion and one or two asshats ruin it for everybody.  But, please, tone it down a little.

If you've got a better idea, I'm all ears.  Things like this tend to spiral into degeneracy once they've descended into personal attacks, almost without exception, so I lock them, especially when the fight is all people are talking about, or when the OP is involved.  It's better to report things early so they don't reach that point, rather than letting it fester.  But I give warnings before locking threads oftentimes.  Like this:

Yanlin, Jude.  If this continues, the continuing offender(s) will be muted for a period of days.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Locking a topic is equal to criticism of posters within that topic
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2009, 04:58:32 pm »

Off the top of my head, warn or temporarily mute the guys who are over the line, and remind the other participants that civil disagreement is allowed and personal attacks aren't.  It's your forum, you can do what you want, but it just rubs me the wrong way when I'm in a stimulating and controversial debate, being careful to attack my opponent's opinions without attacking them personally, and then the topic gets locked despite all my attempt to maintain my chill composure just because a couple of people wanted to troll or be childish.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was originally my stock complaint about my favorite CNN special (US gov't => extinct prarie dogs + ethanol is the only cause of the dead spot in the Gulf).

Then the forum started acting funny (does that happen to anyone else), I managed to back up and I assumed that the post hadn't been changed. I hit post right away (dumb, I know). Then the entire site stopped working for me, and I never even knew if it went through or not. In the twenty minutes it took for me to get back on, I had forgot.

Back to topic! Media sources aren't always acurate (arguably, I know, I think that they'rewrong a lot), especially when someones actively trying to manipulate 'em. And 'the evil jews killed a bajilion unarmed Gazans' serves Hamas's interests pretty well. Deaths (especially in war) are always vastly under or over reported.

Off topic: Say what you want about the Isrealis, their armor core has some really good mottos:
"The Man in the Tank Shall Win"

"In the place where the treads stop, there the border will be drawn."

I'm off to modify my sig.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra

Jude makes few statements statements, one of them about the Gaza massacre.

Yanlin demands sources for his information( not any information in particular it appears, he just likes references).

Jude has no actual references and he tries to make it seem as if Yanlin is denying the Gaza massacre(maybe he was, if so here's a field report although he probably requested references for the displacement of '48).

People talk about Fox for a page or so.

Yanlin is mad because his politeness wasn't returned properly and unspecifically calls a whole post slander, including the claims of the Gaza massacre.

Jude acts obnoxiously once again, calling the mortar attacks "few Israelis' car windows getting broken by rockets"

Yanlin is unspecific again.

Jude is obnoxious again.

Fishersalwaysdie posts.

Toady locks the thread.

Anyways, Yanlin, be more specific, Jude, be less obnoxious.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To provide content of my own, I find that "three men make a tiger" applies as well in the modern world as it did in medieval China.  Only instead of three men, you rely on three news stations.  During the beginning of the invasion of Iraq, I noticed some discrepancies between CNN's coverage of the fall of Baghdad and the BBC's coverage of the same.  As we've already pointed out, if Fox News tells you the sky is blue, you better look out the window before you agree.  However, if Fox News, the BBC, and Al-Jazeera agree that something happened, you can be pretty sure that it really happened.

First, I was planning on attacking that Three Men Make A Tiger analogy by pointing to the possiblity of prepondencere of evidence, asking for the actual allegations against Pang Tong, etc.

But, then I realized you didn't even read your own wikipedia article. "Three Men Make A Tiger" talks about what happens if:
1) One guy says the Sky is Purple. You say "No, you're stupid."
2) Two people say the Sky is Purple. You say "Hm."
3) Three people say the Sky is Purple. You say, "Ah-ha! The Sky must be purple!"

But the sky isn't purple! That's asburd! But three people said so, so they must be true! That what Pang Tong was arguing, just because lots of people spoke bad against him does not mean he is bad himself.

So, use that parable, to find out that you cannot be sure of ANYTHING.

I'll be silent on the main topic, considering it drifted a bit too far...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

CALM DOWN EVERY FREAKIN' BODY!

BACKING AWAY FROM GAZA/PHOTOSHOPPED DEATHS/ETC.:

What were y'all talking about before this whole Jude-Yanlin thing?  I can't tell anymore.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess we have different definitions of obnoxious....not to mention different tolerance levels...internet pseudo-hostility is almost part and parcel of debate on the most lively political threads I post in and people who take it personally there either leave or learn that there's no reason to.

Anyway, I'm still not going to provide sources to say that what happened in Gaza was a massacre; that would be silly. But I love arguing so anyone who wants to is welcome to contradict me, and remember, I do this because I like being overly outspoken and arguing/debating (same thing in my book, if it's about abstract issues), not because I'm trying to troll (well, not here) or piss people off.

Or we could have a fun Fox News-bashing party. They're pretty much a universally accepted target...

Oh Jesus

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Not using citations where they are needed in an argument defeats the whole point of using that argument (general statement).  Now stop and talk about something else.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now stop and talk about something else.
Well, how about this?

Not using citations where they are needed in an argument defeats the whole point of using that argument (general statement).
At what point does something become such common knowledge that it becomes redundant to cite it/it becomes ridiculous to ask for a citation? (speaking generally here. I'm not trying to troll, just in case someone jumps to misinterpret...)

I'm pretty sure we'd all agree on, say, the fact that Obama was born in the US and is a natural citizen, not needing a citation. But what about the moon landing being real? What about Guyana's health care system being a wreck? Or that the Austrian basement-rapist guy looks creepy as fuck?

Or does this rule not apply when it's about controversial issues?

Also, let me propound my theory of what makes for a good debate zone on the internet. In the (admittedly not allllll that many) forums I've posted on, I've seen a pretty good correlation between the tolerance of vitriol a forum has (as in, members can be calling each other ignorant twats in one thread and then go into a forum about a non-divisive topic and be buddies like it never happened) and the amount of interesting, in-depth debate that goes on there. Not necessarily that all the good debaters are vitriolic (although many are) but the fact that nobody minds when people get "mad" tends to allow space for worthwhile debates to play out.

Here's my stab at why: Arguing is naturally something that gets people riled up. Why...I'm going on an evolutionary-psychological limb here of course, but I'd propose that, in a social species in the cognitive niche (us) social/intellectual/rhetorical banter is one of the battlegrounds for sexual selection. Getting called out on something makes you look stupid; it has to do with belittling worldviews which are probably shared by in-groups you belong to which in turn has to do with group cohesion (very important for a social species, and incidentally the subject of my current research) and it can make you look weak (if someone can pick on you, even verbally, you look weak). All of these things would be fitness costs, and a good defense against them is probably anger, a very handy social emotion that deters people from treading the wrong way around you. Maybe this is why arguments get so heated even on fairly bland subjects (like, for example, modularity of mind).

Anyway, that was a ramble. The point is people get mad when they argue, it's almost natural. Because of this, to smooth over social cohesion people tend to steer clear of "touchy" topics, although of course certain relationships allow for "friendly/angry" arguments about subjects without damaging the relationship(s). Now, in real life this is sure legitimate; I wouldn't try and bring up gay marriage at a politically mixed dinner party for obvious reasons.

But on the internet the rules of real life don't really apply. Nobody on there has any impact on you whatsoever beyond what you allow them to have (aside from the keen blade of truth, I suppose). Virtually all relationships on an internet forum are superficial and internet-only, not relating to anybody's real-life social situation. This is a very good reason not to be emotionally sensitive to what these people say, for one thing. But the other thing is that if people learn to let that emotional sensitivity go, the "hostility" and flaming that goes on loses all its power to disturb anyone and becomes the kind of friendly bull session material you'd find in any college dorm. Once THIS happens, interesting arguments are free to go on, inevitable "anger" and all, because people release their grip on their desire for politeness and social smoothness, and their sensitivity to barbs, once they realize the normal social rules don't really matter. The result, I've found, is much, much more laid back and friendly than on other boards (this one's an example, though sure not the worst) where people get uneasy the second things start to get heated.

Anyway, this turned into a huge long ramble. Buy what I say or not, but it's my prescription for making this general discussion forum more hospitable to intellectual rumblings and debates...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:38:03 pm by Jude »

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16