Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collapsing ramps - when and why?  (Read 423 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collapsing ramps - when and why?
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:22:26 am »

Sometimes if I'm building a big, say, 10x10 grid of ramps for a pit I don't get any trouble from collapsing ceilings. Other times, I lose 3 dwarfs in five minutes. Why? What am I missing? It's confusing and a bit annoying.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collapsing ramps - when and why?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:31:24 am »

You mean that you're carving ramps to dig out a large area?
things to remember is that if something(eg. trees) occupies the floortile above the soon-to-be ramp, the floor will not be removed and will collapse after the supports are removed.
other times it's due to multiple dwarves working at the same area and somehow collapse it on eachother.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:07:50 am »

Trees, I bet that is the problem. Thanks.

crazycarlt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:09:52 am »

Q: Are trees always to blame? What about ramping out an irregular area? Multiple dwarves? Would pathfinding or skill, like an unskilled dwarf Working with five legendary dwarves?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:20:08 pm »

There are a number of things that will keep a ramp from removing the tile from above them. Trees are one of them, and it works like this. say you designate a 3x3 area for ramps, with the tree in the middle. the miner ramps out the surrounding tiles, leaving the tree on a pillar of earth. Then the dwarf mines this out, but cannot channel out the floor above thanks to the tree. Thus you have a hanging floor with no support. this then proceeds to collapse.

I do know that most things that do not actively move block this. Constructions, stuff from the build menu, stockpiles, etc.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO