Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Triggering Megabeast arrival.  (Read 3474 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Triggering Megabeast arrival.
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:17:55 pm »

The population cap parameter in the Init file says. "Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features."

After soliciting some input on the Gameplay board and scouring the wiki, I've come to the tentative conclusion (by process of elimination) that the "current game features" unlocked with 100 pop must be Megabeast arrival.

Assuming that this is true, is there a way to mod Megabeasts to arrive sooner? Obviously they don't have an entry in the entity_default file, and the only potentially relevant variable I can find in the creature_standard file is "FREQUENCY." However, if my previous assumption that population is a Megabeast trigger is true, then FREQUENCY would seem to be irrelevant.

Any help is appreciated.

Dryke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Triggering Megabeast arrival.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:30:45 pm »

If a Dragon is a megabeast, I got one today under 100 pop.

The dwarven caravan was 'in town' - I wonder if they count towards that number?

In any event, I had 8 'regular army' marksdwarves...combined with the large number of dwarven caravan guards, the dragon had a rather short visit.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:03:55 pm »

The population cap parameter in the Init file says. "Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features."

After soliciting some input on the Gameplay board and scouring the wiki, I've come to the tentative conclusion (by process of elimination) that the "current game features" unlocked with 100 pop must be Megabeast arrival.

Assuming that this is true, is there a way to mod Megabeasts to arrive sooner? Obviously they don't have an entry in the entity_default file, and the only potentially relevant variable I can find in the creature_standard file is "FREQUENCY." However, if my previous assumption that population is a Megabeast trigger is true, then FREQUENCY would seem to be irrelevant.

Any help is appreciated.

It's also possible that the "current game features" thing is outdated and doesn't refer to anything any more.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:33:43 am »

Any help is appreciated.

actually, it's probably worth remembering that megabeasts are actual historical figures in the game. they don't "spawn" outside of the creation of the world. it's entirely possible that they're all dead in any given vanilla DF world.  FREQUENCY affects spawn rate of normal creatures, not megabeast arrival. (As far as I  know.)

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:03:59 am »

I also received a dragon attack with much less than 100 dwarves.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:44:31 pm »

Has toady implemented chars moving on the world map? Or is that next build?

On some of my maps with animalmen, they seem to leave, multiply, dissapear, and new species just enter like "o hai." Thank god it seems to only happen with deer, cougars and animalmen. If it was carp I'd just stop playing DF.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 03:12:44 pm »

On your map animals will wander in based on random spawns. There is only allowed a certain amount of "herds" of animals.  If one "herd" of animals leaves the area or is slaughtered they will be replaced by a new "herd" of animals unless you have already hit the pop cap on amount of animals on your map for all species that are allowed to spawn on your map.  Animals are also allowed to give birth if it is allowed in their raws.  I haven't tested this out yet, but I am pretty sure named animals from world gen history can also wander on your map if you are making a fort near where world gen put them.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:26:36 am »

Adding [SEMIMEGABEAST] to the megabeasts helps more show up. I'm not sure if it justs allows more to spawn at worldgen, or if it allows them to spawn afterwards. I'm fuzzy on the mechanic, but it does seem to increase the number that appear.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:12:37 pm »

Adding [SEMIMEGABEAST] to the megabeasts helps more show up. I'm not sure if it justs allows more to spawn at worldgen, or if it allows them to spawn afterwards. I'm fuzzy on the mechanic, but it does seem to increase the number that appear.

it makes more spawn at worldgen.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 02:05:57 am »

If your Dwarf civ worships a megabeast (non-vanilla, obviously) they will show up poorly disguised as a peasant if you hit adamantine...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Angellus

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:19:19 pm »

Has toady implemented chars moving on the world map? Or is that next build?

On some of my maps with animalmen, they seem to leave, multiply, dissapear, and new species just enter like "o hai." Thank god it seems to only happen with deer, cougars and animalmen. If it was carp I'd just stop playing DF.
Having carp do such a thing would be so epic!
Tons and tons of marksmen attacking and defending against horde's of carp :D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 04:18:28 pm »

And then sending out an army to attack the heart of the carp kingdom. Only a single, bloodied and angry soldier will return, out of the original warband of 50 Legendary marksdwarves. He will tell you the horrors. The carp have a room of 5000 Queen Carp, producing 37 spawn every .983 minutes. They don't sleep. He will tell you of the schools. They train these spawn. They train them into battle hardened carp, with jaws of steel and scales of iron. And they send them down the rivers. They send them for a purpose. To. Mess. Your. Shit. Up.

Fun Fact: One Queen produces 54201.422 spawn a day. With 5000 queens, a year would see the carp populations well into the billions of millions.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:20:26 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Angellus

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »

The Carp threat causes the dwarves and humans to work together, placing human melee fighters up front they let the 1000 Champion Marksdwarves rain hell down upon the carps, coming closer and closer to the Carp Queens they lose more and more humans to the Carp onslaught, soon no hume will be left...

Fun fact: 1000 Champion Marksdwarves will reign chaos upon any foe that can attack your fortress in-game, any mod's included.
5000 Carp queens might just get the upper hand here...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 05:20:22 pm »

Even with a handful and quiver of bolts, that whole force can only fire 50 shots each, so 50,000 shots total. That's not even one carp mother of spawn. Plus, not every shot will cause a kill, and there may still be the occasional miss. You'd need the *shudders* elven hordes to back you up with their bows.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 05:26:13 pm »

That massive force of marksmen would be useless against anything with [NOSTUCKINS].
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2