Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A request, if it isn't too much...  (Read 3310 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: A request, if it isn't too much...
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:24 pm »

Your castle clearly needs secret passages. Like escape routes to outside of the walls and the like. What cynical lord would ever leave his safety entirely in the hands of his soldiers?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 09:33:47 pm »

(^_^;;

Ok, this has been bugging me, what does that mean?

I interpret as a nervous/uncertain "Heh heh..." laugh.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:13:05 pm »

Your castle clearly needs secret passages. Like escape routes to outside of the walls and the like. What cynical lord would ever leave his safety entirely in the hands of his soldiers?
Actually, there is an up/down staircase just under the lords rooms hat goes all the way to ground level and is covered by a wall. I plan on that eventually be some form of secret escape. Perhaps I'll extend the mines to underneath the castle proper and have the waterway and dungeon be part of the mines. Still, I do need to have them shut off most of the time for FPS and pathfinding reasons. Thus why the drawbridge is raised.

Now starting project Let it Dry.

Edit: Ah, waitwaitwait!

So I want my humans to use bows, because screw you crossbows. I know I should do some funky things like change the human profession from crossbowman to bowman, but what else do I need to change so arrows will be used in bows that use the crossbow skill?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:48:11 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 03:57:01 am »

Hmm, that might just work. Now mind you I'll be adding a few little things to make it a bit less dwarven, but I like the design. Thanks. Now to just put into some raster program and see how it looks in not-text.

It's your castle so you do what you think is best. I don't mind. Especially when I'm not at all sure how it works with the tileset you're using.
Just out of curiosity though, what are you going to modify?

Making the dome out of copper might make it last a few more shots of giant eagle poop. But then the nice lighteffect would be lost.
Imagine how it would look like inside a dome made out of green&clear glass..   8)
And you could hire elves to do the washing. They like all animal stuff right?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 05:20:44 am »

Hi!

I can't contribute to the current main discussion - I always have small fortresses, so I never experiment with cave-ins, so I can't say whether they are a way to get rid of things.

As for the (^_^;; , that is a Japanese smilie signifying something like slight embarassment. So, the nervous "heh heh" is probably not far off.

Deathworks

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 09:14:45 am »

So I want my humans to use bows, because screw you crossbows. I know I should do some funky things like change the human profession from crossbowman to bowman, but what else do I need to change so arrows will be used in bows that use the crossbow skill?

Just need to change the skill from bow to crossbow in the item weapons file.  That's it besides the profession name.

Concerning your moat.  I don't think the section method will work because the water has another place to go, which is off the map where the brook drains.  When you go section by section, the sections will not fill up enough because of that.  I think you will need to either pump or damn the brook or draft everyone to bucket brigade, but not sure if the last one can keep up enough.  If you want, just build a pump and deconstruct later.  Do you have floodgates between the moat and brook?  If you don't you will probably not be able to keep the moat full.  It will always drain out and down the brook.   

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 01:29:09 pm »

Well, the great hall has been postponed as I had my miners dig a tunnel from the tower of the castle closest to the lake to a pit just under the drawbridge. I figure that is an excellent place to have a swirling vortex pit spewing mist. Don't worry, once everywhere is filled the vortex will go back to normal human standards.

But yes, the pump tower works excellently. Keeping the walls blocking off the lake from the moat, I have now filled most of the moat with water. Once everywhere is a good 5 depth, I shall turn on the tower pump again and flood the lake. Actually, while this is filling I suppose I should work on the great hall.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 07:22:34 pm »

Code: [Select]
---------------
|....GREAT....|
|.............|
|.............+
|.............+
|.............|
|.............|
---------------

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 07:44:32 pm »

Well, the flooding worked like a charm. Had the moat fill with water before tearing down the lake barriers, and thankfully the humans were able to deconstruct every section before the water got too deep. Huzzah for a population of 100! So now every body of water is hovering between 4 and 5. Now I'm working exclusively on the great hall. Also, any dungeon designs would be appreciated.

Edit: Toonyman, I want a human hall not a dwarven one. At least put in a support or something.
Code: [Select]
---------------
|....GREAT....|
|.............|
|.............+
|......I......+
|.............|
|.............|
---------------

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 12:56:17 pm »

Well, great hall completed. All that is left is the village(which I know how to do) and the dungeons(Which could use some inspiration). No need to restrict yourselves by human standards, I want it perfect for adventurers.

Also, I need to designate another z-level for mining but I don't want to designate all of that again. So, which auto designator do you guys suggest?

Updated.

Also, I really botched the POIs. I must make a note to not update when one is tired and cold.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:08 pm »

I really like how that great hall came out!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 01:20:05 pm »

God I love those curvy tilesets.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 01:24:54 pm »

Note designating diagonal corners is a bastard. Not as horrible as filling an area larger than 2x2 with constructed walls, but it's up there.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 02:29:29 pm »

Well, great hall completed. All that is left is the village(which I know how to do) and the dungeons(Which could use some inspiration). No need to restrict yourselves by human standards, I want it perfect for adventurers.

Also, I need to designate another z-level for mining but I don't want to designate all of that again. So, which auto designator do you guys suggest?

Updated.

Also, I really botched the POIs. I must make a note to not update when one is tired and cold.

Good job Duke, your castle looks neat. Could you make a 3D screenshot about it? [Using the 3dwarf visualizer of course.  :)]

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 03:20:36 pm »

That's really nice.  For a human.

There is never a 'U'.

However, I am a human (I think) so I agree heartfully.
Pages: 1 [2] 3