Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.  (Read 27203 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2009, 02:34:27 pm »

I've tried to play many MMORPG's, but each and every one of them feels, to me, exactly like this:

Linear RPG

or this:

WTF RPG

I've had some ideas on how to make games not feel like this, but being mathematically/programmingly retarded, I've never been able to do anything with them.

For example, all of these games seem to involve grinding in some form.  The worst form of this for me is kill monster A enough times that the number on your character sheet goes up and then you can kill monster B, which has a different image, enough times that you can kill monster C, which has yet another different image... et cetera ad inifinitum.

I hate this.  I accept that in order for the players to feel like they're accomplishing anything with their time, they need a goal to work towards, and it's pretty hard to do this without some form of grinding for slow but steady progress.  But why not make the grinding itself fun?  Take tradeskills, for example.  I'm a big fan of these over combat.  How about instead of click on dirt to make tilled soil, click on soil to plant seed, click on seed to water, click on plant to harvest...  Make it a minigame.  It doesn't need to be realistic.  It can be some abstract minigame where you work for the local farmer, rush around pulling weeds and throwing them in the compost, then picking plants and throwing them in a bin before time runs out.  You earn your points by doing something more than just clicking over and over again.  And then, once you have enough points to do something really interesting, you can buy/make your own farm and do the click to plant, water, harvest thing, and do something real with the results, like cook or sell your produce to other players.

The other thing that bothers me is the slow progression of numbers.  NOTHING in the game really changes other than the numbers and the images those numbers allow you to see.  Fighting a dragon is just a longer, more drawn-out fight with a rat, where the rat has a bigger picture with wings and scales and fire.  If I had my way, there would be no numbers.  Progress?  Absolutely.  Just don't give the player a number for that progress.  Make the player have to guess how strong they are based on what mundane tasks they can accomplish successfully (such as in minigames), then take an actual risk by going out to fight something.  This combined with permadeath would put an absolute halt to all that powergaming that irks me so much.  Put an element of risk into the game, real consequences, and a dash of realism (you might know how many pounds/kilograms you can benchpress, but you'll have to take a gamble if you want to fight someone), and you'd have a game world that's about a lot more than just repetitive clicking.

But alas, I am well aware that I am in the minority with these ideas, and I will never see them in a game.  I am curious, however, as to what you guys think of them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2009, 02:41:41 pm »

You might like Free Realms, Sappho. It's got a lot of mini-games and whatnot in it, and the combat jobs are optional. Not all of it is Free, but I think about %60 of the game can be accessed without paying anything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2009, 02:45:31 pm »

I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2009, 02:59:02 pm »

I dunno, I somtimes avoid stuff jampacked with micropayments on principle...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2009, 03:00:31 pm »

I'm not about to pay for anything.  There couldn't possibly be anything so great about this game that I'm going to spend real life dollars on it.

In any case, I can't get into it.  It keeps asking my permission to run a program by Sony.  If I allow it, the screen flickers, then asks me again in an infinite loop until I close the window.  Is it not compatible with Firefox?  Because I'm not sure I want to allow this site on my computer through Explorer...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2009, 03:03:05 pm »

Well, it just sucks to see other players racing ahead of you because they bought something else with real money, and to have a constant barrier which you smash your head against every time you want to do something fun.  I'd rather just pay one subscription and then not worry about stupid micropayments.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2009, 03:06:15 pm »

I'm anything but a powergamer.  I play to enjoy the experience, not to get powerful as quickly as I can (which is good, because I never have enough time to make enough progress anyway).  So as annoying as it can be to see rich players race ahead, I generally just ignore them and enjoy playing on my own.

On the other hand, when I game I already play and enjoy and am an active supporter of suddenly introduces micropayments, I get very upset and tend to quit.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2009, 03:07:58 pm »

I'm not about to pay for anything.  There couldn't possibly be anything so great about this game that I'm going to spend real life dollars on it.

In any case, I can't get into it.  It keeps asking my permission to run a program by Sony.  If I allow it, the screen flickers, then asks me again in an infinite loop until I close the window.  Is it not compatible with Firefox?  Because I'm not sure I want to allow this site on my computer through Explorer...

Odd, it should work fine with Firefox. Maybe check the forum to see if there are any known issues?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2009, 03:09:44 pm »

I have discovered a great hobby. Far better than any MMO.

I call it, FSTDT drinking game.

You go and get a random list of Fundie quotes, like so: http://www.fstdt.com/fundies/Default.aspx?archive=1

Then whenever your irony meter explodes (Fundies say stuff like "Science makes shit up. The bible is proof." so pretty much anything ironic.) you take a drink. See if you can break your record before you pass out!

But since I don't drink alcohol... I can't play it...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2009, 03:17:15 pm »

Yanlin, please don't intentionally try to derail a thread towards religion.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 31, 2009, 03:22:49 pm »

Incidentally the link doesn't work.

...I'm seriously having trouble thinking of free MMOs that don't suck...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 31, 2009, 03:23:13 pm »

Bah. Fine. You can play the FSTDT drinking game multiplayer too.

Incidentally the link doesn't work.

...I'm seriously having trouble thinking of free MMOs that don't suck...

The site appears to be down right now.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #192 on: July 31, 2009, 03:34:50 pm »

Ugh...  Yeah, this FreeRealms thing is not what I have in mind at all.  Looks like it was designed for little kids.  I'm also not a fan of 3d games.  They run too slow (on my computer at least), it's too hard to see what you're doing, and I just don't like the way they look.  I much prefer top-down games, usually 2d.  At least isometric or wide-angle 3rd-person, but I can't bear the first-person or close-up third-person views.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 31, 2009, 03:37:01 pm »

Fair enough. Looks like the quest continues...
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2009, 03:44:23 pm »

Yeah, when I tried Freerealms, it seemed something like a version of Club Penguin made into an RPG (and, unfortunately, the free RPG it called to mind most was The Great Unmentionable One).

By the way, having re-read the title, I've realised there's the possibility of a good free MMORPG that sucks balls.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:27:51 pm by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14