Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.  (Read 27178 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:58 pm »

I've been daydreaming for the longest time my ideal MMO that I personally think would be terrific fun. I wanna ask some more questions though before I elaborate on it.

How would you feel about having genuine command of a old-style sail boat, with realistic control (sways with strong current and waves, needs to move with the wind, giant and unwieldy almost, etc) where you and other players can sail, man cannons, move about the ship in real time, and perhaps attack other ships?

Think Half-life 2 meets Sid Meier's Pirates.

I don't know how close this is to what you're thinking, but there is a Pirate MMO called Pirates of the Burning Sea. You might want to look into it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2009, 02:55:54 pm »

POTBS is fun, but 1 its not free (Read thread title) and two, its a grindfest.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2009, 02:57:25 pm »

I know it's not free, but chaoticjosh wasn't the one asking for free MMOs, he was thinking of the MMO he'd like to play. Since it actually exists in at least some form, I figured I'd let him know about it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2009, 03:24:49 pm »

There is none.

I'm gonna build my own (famous last words) as soon as I get Darkstar up and running  :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2009, 08:23:10 pm »

Darkfall does look very promising, but one feature that had me kept at bay, if you watch some of the Beta-testing videos, are the ships. The combat isn't bad, and there are very large ships, but the graphics and detail are awful. The entire inside of the ship is nothing but wooden planks and openings with cannons. Oh yeah, and a single wooden staircase, or maybe more, but still. As a lesser note, the explosions which the cannons make are horrid. Think Galaxian-style explosions, or any of those older-day 2D top-down shooters. That and when the ship sinks, all it does is go down and have a bunch of low-detail wave splash effects occur before it vanishes.

But other than this, it looks to be a great game. I especially like how, as is with WoW and them, you don't just click an attack button and it automatically does it all; for shooting and such you actually have to aim. For me at least, shooter-like MMOs are great.

Oh, and the player-built towns are nice too, and the strange siege engines you can ride in and blast the town with.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2009, 08:25:18 pm »

That sounds... really interesting actually.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2009, 08:43:52 pm »

Yes, I've been waiting for Darkfall for a while now. I wont prebuy, but I will certainly join up at some point.

Also, I've started playing Galaxy Online today. It's a MMOMOO. As in. a MMO Master of Orion.

I'm not sure how you can acquire a beta key right now, but if you can, give it a try.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02:56 pm »

I've been trying to get back into Navyfield, starting up the British NO line (ships are apparently easier.)

(Link to that Galaxy online game?)
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2009, 12:46:22 pm »

Dur, forgot to make the link.

http://go.igg.com/

Moon

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Nerds
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2009, 05:38:38 pm »

I haven't read the whole thread, but I have a recommendation for a free MMO.

I have my own WoW server sitting on my home PC.  Obviously you don't get the the "Massively" Multiplayer from it, but you can have LAN parties with it.  I personally like it better than playing WoW online since you don't have to fight for spawning creatures.

It is extremely easy to setup as well.  It took me less than a half hour.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2009, 05:50:28 pm »

It's illegal though. Blizzard might sue you for doing such a thing.

Which is a shame. I would love to set up my own private server so that I can play WoW by myself.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2009, 06:00:21 pm »

20 meg download size? Woo don't have to spend all night downloading.
Steam Profile

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »

20 meg download size? Woo don't have to spend all night downloading.
Yep, the client is very light weight. The game is also very casual, which is pretty good actually. You can have multiple accounts if you want to spend more time on it. At least I think that's not against the rules.

Moon

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Nerds
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2009, 06:52:21 pm »

It's illegal though. Blizzard might sue you for doing such a thing.

Which is a shame. I would love to set up my own private server so that I can play WoW by myself.

Maybe that's true, but I'm not even playing online.  In fact, I don't even need to be connected to the internet to play it.  It kind of reminds me of when furniture used to come with a tag that said, "do not remove, under penalty of law".  Of course, it was "illegal" to remove it, but who actually cared?

Of course, if you set up your own private server and start getting hundreds of people playing online, and start getting donations.  THEN, I could see Blizzard caring about it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2009, 07:19:06 pm »

On the subject of running everything on a ship, someday I hope to pimp my TIGSource competition game that's kind of a Puzzle Pirates, space version of that.  Reversing the polarity? Puzzle game!  Firing lasers? Puzzle game!  Scanning an anomaly?  Puzzle game!  Treating an injured crewmember?  Puzzle game for both of you!

But the MMO part of it (as opposed to much smaller multiplayer) is still quite a ways off :/
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14