Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.  (Read 27164 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2009, 07:30:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, I like killing as much as the next guy, but killing your own race...well, this is a Fanasty game, and in a Fanasty game, you are supposed to be heroic.(...)
Why?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »

Er. Looks like you're right. It still was jarring when I was first given the order, and it made a lasting impression on me, an impression of hate for the game. I just didn't like killing my own people, just all. Zombie unity, that's all I desire. Not zombie civil war.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2009, 07:37:53 pm »

Now, I like killing as much as the next guy, but killing your own race...well, this is a Fanasty game, and in a Fanasty game, you are supposed to be heroic.(...)
Why?

But it's not what fantasy in general is about and I do not really consider Warcraft's world very "heroic fantasy" either. After all, in W3's campaign you

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:53 pm »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:11 pm »

You're not a zombie though, zombies are mindless.  You have a mind.

Also, isn't Requiem Korean?

Also also, the standing around doing nothing thing is just an allowance you receive to make things easier at the beginning.  Once you get out of the starting area, almost nothing will just sit there and wait for you, except the seex snow moose.

(For the record, from what I've seen, there is no quest to kill seex snow moose.  In fact, most of the early quests are pretty neat, and have you flying around dropping plague vials on stuff, riding a ship full of skeleton pirates, and spraying vikings with poison.  I still lol'd and thought "That is so WoW" when I saw it.)

I guess WoW's fun really depends on how grind-tolerant you are.  I'm very tolerant of it if there's lots of story to make me forget what I'm doing, but it's a curse I have for all games.  If I start to see the framework beneath the world, I lose interest.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:57:31 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2009, 10:38:00 pm »

Also, isn't Requiem Korean?
Yep. It's bloody, but that's pretty much it. It has ragdolls too, which can be sort of funny, due to the weirdly shaped creatures.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2009, 10:49:47 pm »

As a person that is genuinely curious, I ask: To you personally, what makes an MMORPG an ideally fun experience?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2009, 04:43:04 am »

Playing with friends. Healing your buddies while they tank. Or vise versa. Having good company. The game of course has to be challenging. Events that require friends to beat. But never normal quests. Those should always be possible solo. But possible at a lower level with a group.

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2009, 05:01:57 am »

For me, it requires a variety of things to do in groups while leveling up, as well as reasonable pvp combat once you get to the highest level. WoW failed on both those accounts for me. Spent first twenty and last ten levels to 60 pretty much solo, while in between those two was fairly fun. Plenty of dungeons to delve, many different things to do and make. Until you hit 60. (Note this is pre expansion packs.) Then you have to run one or two dungeons 100s of times to get your gear so you can run one specific dungeon hundreds of times to get more gear so you can run one more dungeon hundreds of times so you can get more gear. I know it sounds like I am saying one thing and wanting another but I'm not. I loved every dungeon I ran the first 20 times. By my 50th excursion into MC, having netted maybe 1 actual upgrade and some crap no one else needed, it gets pretty boring. Oh, and shitty playerbase that doesn't know shit about how to run a roster for MC. I destroyed that guild from the inside though, so I'm pretty happy.

As for pvp, if one class is going to be massively weaker then the other classes, tell them up front. I got pretty damn good as a pvp warlock, but it never mattered because every other class had ways specifically designed to beat warlocks, even though they were pretty much balanced against the other classes. Its not fun when you can only manage to get off two effective attacks before you die against anyone, and those attacks take off MAYBE 1/4 total of their life.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2009, 07:07:19 am »

As a person that is genuinely curious, I ask: To you personally, what makes an MMORPG an ideally fun experience?

For me a strong community aspect, not just having a chatroom to go with your questing but general multiplayer stuff, like wars, and etc. In addition it has to have something other then "go kill 10 Dire Muskoxen and use their guts as body paint to protect you while you try and kill the God of Muskoxen" Stuff like an economy, trading maybe crafting really help.  While I'm thinking of it I hate the general level based system every shitty lil dev team swears by, another reason why I liked Eve, I could do whatever I damn well wanted without being screwed skill wise if I did.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2009, 07:22:14 am »

Playing with friends. Healing your buddies while they tank. Or vise versa. Having good company. The game of course has to be challenging. Events that require friends to beat. But never normal quests. Those should always be possible solo. But possible at a lower level with a group.
It's weird how this is basically my WoW experience. I team up with my friends to take on the most difficult fights in the game and spend the off time tweaking my gear or playing in an off spec doing pvp. If I have the time I level new characters to get a new playstyle under my belt.

Dunno. I have a low grind tolerance but I play WoW pretty much every day. The challenges are getting pretty interesting as well. Right now one of the easiest and hardest raid bosses is the same dragon, as you can scale up his difficulty by letting more of his lieutenants engage you during the fight. The harder you allow it to be, the more gear and vanity objects you get. Blizzard is going to be taking this concept to most of their next raid (allowing you to challenge yourself in raids you've already beaten rather than grinding the same thing every week). Basically they are finding more ways to polish the "grind" and I appreciate that.

Yeah, dungeon grinding was hell back in the day, but it's nothing like that anymore. You can get pretty much everything you need from an instance in a couple trips. There are less people in the raids, less gear overlap, and the tier gear is represented as a token so 3 classes (and 3 specs in each) have a shot at an upgrade instead of one class' spec's gear dropping once a week.

I'm someone who quit playing WoW at 60 and Burning Crusade at 70, but I'm still enjoying myself at the level cap in WotLK. I think you'd be surprised at how much smoother the game is.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2009, 08:09:43 am »

Innovative gameplay. If I see terms like "tank" or "agro" used in the context of teamwork, then chances are I'll stop playing it and go elsewhere because I'm disinterested in playing a game where the optimal tactic is a DPS/Tank/Heal party (or anything similar).

Also, minimization of combat grinding. A sufficiently satisfying combat system could ease that, but good luck finding that in an MMORPG, most often it's just the same ol' HP-draining with skill hotkeys crap.

And one thing I always look at when thinking of trying out an MMORPG - crafting. If it does not have real crafting, then you can basically be certain the combat is unoriginal and there's lots of it (read: it's a Korean grind-fest). I can't remember this rule of thumb ever failing me thus far.

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2009, 10:51:03 am »

Just thought I should mention it, as with a quick search it was only mentioned once in the forum, and not in Other Games. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is a fairly impressive MMO. You can go the usual combat way, fighting everything, and all that. But you never have to be great at combat to have fun. There's plenty of crafting, and if I remember correctly, every item in the game can be crafted. The crafting process is actually pretty nice too; you get a set certain number of points, which are mostly spent doing necessary tasks, such as sawing the wood, piecing things together, but you could also polish the item, sand it (when dealing with wood at least), and thus increase its quality, from F to A. And of course, when you first start out, getting above a D is near impossible, as all the necessary tasks used up all of your time, hehe. There's also crafting that deals with larger constructions, where you can build your own homes. I think you can even make villages or cities, probably only if you join a guild though, but I won't delve into that, as I'm not sure. You can even make ships.

There's also a Diplomacy way, where you can, well, self-explanatory. Talk with others to incite them for war, persuade, or just get on their nerves, with logic or otherwise. The whole diplomacy thing is played in a card-game, where a card that you play is the communication technique you use. It's been a while since I played, so I can't remember too much about how the card game works.

But yeah. Very large world, so large that characters can go into "Caravan Mode," where they automatically go offline and can't come back online for 8 hours or something, but in the meantime their characters follow the party leader, so that only he/she has to make a great trek across the land. Once again, long time since I've played, and I never used it, so not sure how great it is.

The biggest problem(s) I had with it were the character's faces, which look like old dolls, and that it costs twenty dollars USD to play per month, which is more than most MMO's that I've heard of. In fact, if it weren't for such a high monthly subscription I'd probably still be playing it.

On the topic of what makes an MMORPG fun, to me personally, exploring. There is nothing I enjoy more in a game than going into an area I've never visited before, or better yet never heard of before, or even better yet, an area that nobody else has ever seen before. In Vanguard, at least when I played (a week or two after it came out) new places were discovered often, so there were always new things to be seen, as it was a new MMO. I'm guessing by today pretty much every place has been found though. But yeah, exploration and discovery.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2009, 10:53:35 am »

A by-the-book shadowrun mmorpg, with all crafting skills included.

I like more deadly/cruel mmorpgs, with permadeath (or at least some loss), where a beginner character has a chance of beating a veteran.

Alas, there are no mmorpgs like this so far. Darkfall might come close to it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2009, 11:02:07 am »

On the topic of what makes an MMORPG fun, to me personally, exploring. There is nothing I enjoy more in a game than going into an area I've never visited before, or better yet never heard of before, or even better yet, an area that nobody else has ever seen before.

when developement is finished, you might find this interesting
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14