Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.  (Read 27221 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 10:27:21 am »

Wow. This game is fun. Unlike some OTHER MMORPGs. Yanlin glares at WoW.

Yanlin, that is your subjective opinion.  ;D
WoW is pretty good to be honest. It's the most diverse MMORPG, and it keeps growing. I've stopped to play a while ago, but I might start to play again in the future. The problem is, that you must spend lot of time on the game, if you want to be in a good guild, or Arena team...but yeah, I am subjective also.  :D

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 10:30:09 am »

Bah Warcraft 3 is better than WoW.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:09 am »

While we are it, DOTA > vanilla Warcraft 3. [Perhaps we shouldn't talk about strategy games in this topic btw.. ;D]

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 10:50:34 am »

While we are it, DOTA > vanilla Warcraft 3. [Perhaps we shouldn't talk about strategy games in this topic btw.. ;D]

I agree on that, but DoTA is one of the worst custom maps out there.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 11:44:37 am »

Shin Megami Tensei Online is free and alright for a grind fest. I'm mostly a fan of the art style and universe, so it keeps me happy.

But I play and enjoy WoW tho. >_>
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 05:59:02 pm »

It appears Ryzom is not going to be free forever. Can I get some concrete information on how long it will be free? I'm should be able to pay eventually. So far it's very good.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2009, 07:36:45 pm »

It appears Ryzom is not going to be free forever. Can I get some concrete information on how long it will be free? I'm should be able to pay eventually. So far it's very good.
Nobody knows.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »

Really hard to say with Ryzom, it's entire history is, at best, a clusterfuck. It's swapped ownership like 3 times and there's been no end to the issues. Currently their libraries are open source, hmmm

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 08:19:21 pm »

Sort of reminds me of Endless Ages. Another MMORPG, used to have a monthly subscription, but now it's free. It has also swapped ownership many times, and has had its entire world map revised a few times as well. Other than the world map though, not many changes to it that can be seen, at least not immediately. It has somewhat of a steep learning curve, mainly because there is no map and quests give you horrid directions of where to find enemies.

Also seems to have lost most of its player-base. Used to have enough players that you would see at least a couple people pretty much everywhere, but now it doesn't seem nearly as popular.

But anyways, if anyone feels like checking it out, it's a first-person shooter (or third person if you prefer) role playing game. Pretty fun, actually. Get to fly around everywhere with a jetpack, shoot lasers at everything. It also has magic, but the newest make of the game has me stumped as to where you learn it. Same goes for shapeshifting. There is also melee weaponry, but few people use it, as it does less damage than ranged weapons and puts you in harms way. You can play as a male or female human, a frog thing, or a giant blob man.

It also has a massive world which I've yet to find boundaries to. But until you get decent weaponry and armor you'll die from just about anything that can shoot back at you. Well, aside from the first few low level enemies.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 08:46:33 pm »

Looks fun.

Unfortunately my computer can't handle anything remotely 3D past graphics made in 2002.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:54 pm »

Going to try Endless ages just for kicks. And to keep up with my status of "The one who has played every mmorpg in existence."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2009, 10:41:53 pm »

What's with all the hate for WoW?

I want to hear real reasons why it's bad.

There's little to no grinding involved, and even when you are grinding, it doesn't feel like grinding.  With eight races, ten classes, three specs per class, and multiple leveling areas with different quest items, everyone looks different, even at the same levels.  It's well balanced.  I've beaten just about every class in the game in single combat, and I've been beaten by just about every class in single combat.

As an added bonus, they finally seem to be moving away from the cartoony art style.  Pauldrons are smaller and more subtle, armor in general seems more subdued, and the graphics as a whole have improved a lot.  The first time you go into Ahn'kahet it's breathtaking.  These huge ziggurats are sitting on massive stalagmites hundreds of feet off the ground, there are giant mushroom trees reaching up toward you, the bridges are huge spiderwebs, and it's so quiet.
Shoes...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 11:17:03 pm »

It's well balanced.  I've beaten just about every class in the game in single combat, and I've been beaten by just about every class in single combat.

Hehehehe this made me laugh, reason that would be true is because the balance is almost entirely based around FOTM sure you can be sure that some point in time you will be bale to beat pretty much anyone if you wait long enough for the buffs/nerfs to be right. Course I'm not speaking from personal experience just from what almost everyone on the WAR forums says, I tried the trial and apart from being vaguely boring nothing in it stuck out at me it wasn't that anything was terrible just that nothing was brilliant either. Oh and if you want breathtaking try Guild Wars, There are some brilliant spots in that game with some of the best views I've seen, in real life or any other game.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2009, 01:05:13 am »

Hehehehe this made me laugh, reason that would be true is because the balance is almost entirely based around FOTM sure you can be sure that some point in time you will be bale to beat pretty much anyone if you wait long enough for the buffs/nerfs to be right. Course I'm not speaking from personal experience just from what almost everyone on the WAR forums says, I tried the trial and apart from being vaguely boring nothing in it stuck out at me it wasn't that anything was terrible just that nothing was brilliant either. Oh and if you want breathtaking try Guild Wars, There are some brilliant spots in that game with some of the best views I've seen, in real life or any other game.

oh lawdy
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2009, 03:41:14 am »

WoW costs good money for literally just grinding around. WoW is always a phase. People eventually realize that they are not enjoying WoW. Sure it may look good. But in the end, it's all just mindless grind. What did you mean by "Grinding doesn't feel like grinding."? WoW is pretty much a grindfest. When you're not killing you're grinding. When you're not grinding you're killing. Then again, killing is also grinding! Not to mention that most of the quests are "Go to X and kill Y of Z."
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14