Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.  (Read 27215 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 07:37:21 pm »

And you need real money to get started, the money they give you isn't nearly enough to keep you up there. Bullets are way too expensive as well, so yeah, it's monster loot gambling. If you're lucky, you get to buy more bullets... If you're really lucky and get into the crafting market, you can even make some money.

But you will most likely be part of the 99% of the players that will only be paying money to play.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »

Has anyone ever tried out Atlantica? I ran across an ad for it recently. Looks mildly interesting, but being a Korean MMO I'm sure it's more grind-heavy then I'd like. Plus, I have enough on my plate right now without adding an MMO.

But I figured I'd at least see what other opinions on it are.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 09:29:25 pm »

Has anyone ever tried out Atlantica? I ran across an ad for it recently. Looks mildly interesting, but being a Korean MMO I'm sure it's more grind-heavy then I'd like. Plus, I have enough on my plate right now without adding an MMO.

But I figured I'd at least see what other opinions on it are.

Ive played it, its not bad for a Korean Grinder, suffers from Korean Clone Charactors though (AKA no variety in armour so everybody at your level looks the same)

---

Also, a good fun distraction is dreamlords, you control your lands in a browser interface and you do online missions and stuff in a client.

http://www.dreamlords.com/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:40:16 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 09:56:06 pm »

I will just chime in briefly on this since i have another thread on it.

Its good and free (you must buy the game, but unlimited play is free), but not really massive multiplayer, more like mini-multiplayer. Around 30 players in-game during peak hours, up to 50 max.

Its a Neverwinter Nights server: Escaped from the Underdark: Archipelago. Sports a full staff of DMs who really care, they monitor the world, possess monsters on the quests to spice things up, lead special quests for players, and modify the gameworld according to player actions.

server info is here: http://www.escapefromunderdark.com/

One of the things I always wished, was that MMORPGs left you feeling like what you did was unique and had an effect on the world. In a nutshell, a real living virtual world and not a grind fest arcade game with lots of other people who happen to be doing the same things in the world with you. To do this on the massive level would require huge staffs of GMs and that just isnt realistic given the type of people who play these games. On the less-than-massive level, its doable.

I know its not an MMO, and I apologize for repeating this here, but I think its an amazing experience. One of the true hidden gems of the internet.

I got nothing

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 08:16:05 am »

Thanks for all help guys. Ryzom will probably keep me going for a while.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 05:12:21 pm »

[ ] Good
[ ] Free
[ ] MMO

Choose two.

You get what you pay for.
*Strain*
Pssst. Yanlin. Whats the answer to number 1?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 05:25:34 pm »

Thanks for all help guys. Ryzom will probably keep me going for a while.
If I hadn't uninstalled already, I would give you a hand.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 05:57:31 pm »

[ ] Good
[ ] Free
[ ] MMO

Choose two.

*Strain*
Pssst. Yanlin. Whats the answer to number 1?
Tisk, if you had only studied...

The answer is to assign a legendary armorsmith to the problem and have them hammered if they fail to produce one in time.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 06:03:44 pm »

[X] Good
[X] Free
[  ] MMO

Choose two.

I filled out what I want.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 06:09:24 pm »

That's probably why you're here.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »

I'm attempting to see if the natural laws of games will be broken.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 09:10:50 am »

Wow. This game is fun. Unlike some OTHER MMORPGs. Yanlin glares at WoW.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 09:21:29 am »

I tried Ryzom, I think. It's the one where you spent most off your time digging in the grass?

The first area is free I think, then you have to pay to move out of tutorial land. The sad part is that every forum I've read, they complain that once you pay, the rest of the world is much EMPTIER and the grinding is even worse, and any semblance to quests that was in the tutorials is gone. So it's a big scam.

I've played MU online, it's free and there are some free server software. I wouldn't call it good tho, it's a bit like a Diablo clone, but the classes are so stupidly defined that each of the 3 classes only ever needs to raise one of the 3 stats. (EVERY bit of equipment that person uses is limited by his defining stat.)

I believe Anarchy Online is free for a year, they may have changed it however to free-forever (unless you want the expansions). It is kinda dated, I do like how the quests are randomly generated and there is a TON of little caves and bases that can only be accessed during a quest, and enemies in those don't respawn. Leveling up is also plenty fast (you're nearly guaranteed to go up one level by doing a quest). The whole economy/crafting system is however frakked up IMO. The way you pay for dying also is not so bad: you can lose some experience, anything you gained since your last "save" OR your last level up (autosave), so it's a good incentive to not get killed. However chances are you'll level up mid-mission anyway, and that you saved beforehand so you'll only lose a few minutes of advancement.

There are those korean free-to-play jrpg-likes, one I was playing was NosTale. It was kinda cute and I liked the blend of 3d maps with 2d sprites, remind me of Grandia. Don't know if it's your cup of tea, specially because it's completely crammed full of kiddies that don't speak english, maybe with a good group it would be bearable.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 09:25:16 am »

There are those korean free-to-play jrpg-likes, one I was playing was NosTale. It was kinda cute and I liked the blend of 3d maps with 2d sprites, remind me of Grandia. Don't know if it's your cup of tea, specially because it's completely crammed full of kiddies that don't speak english, maybe with a good group it would be bearable.

Sounds like my experience in a RO private server.
 Not to self: Check nationality of server before joining.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 10:27:13 am »

The first area is free I think, then you have to pay to move out of tutorial land. The sad part is that every forum I've read, they complain that once you pay, the rest of the world is much EMPTIER and the grinding is even worse, and any semblance to quests that was in the tutorials is gone. So it's a big scam.
It's 100% free at the moment.

There are racial/alignment quests.

There are tons of grinding.

It's a game meant for guilds, soloers will have a hard time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14