Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.  (Read 27206 times)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: A good free MMORPG that doesn't suck balls.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 12:28:47 pm »

Ryzom is "free"

From what I gather, it wont be free forever.

About the concrete analogy, you can shape concrete too. In fact, you can shape it better than sand given the right materials. At the very least I can chisel it.

If you meant it in the way of it being harder than sand, well then. What's wrong with that?
I think he meant in the way that you still only have a plastic trowel and your bare hands.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »

I played Ryzom for a while. Very grindy.

I was going to suggest anarchy online, but it's also grindy.

I'm out of free mmos at the moment, to be honest.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 12:46:38 pm »

Ryzom is "free"

About the concrete analogy, you can shape concrete too. In fact, you can shape it better than sand given the right materials. At the very least I can chisel it.

If you meant it in the way of it being harder than sand, well then. What's wrong with that?
I think he meant in the way that you still only have a plastic trowel and your bare hands.

I figured. Even with a plastic trowel and my bare fingernails I can shape the concrete to my will. Given the time.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 12:56:49 pm »

Ryzom is "free"

I figured. Even with a plastic trowel and my bare fingernails I can shape the concrete to my will. Given the time.
So you like grinding? I've got some Korean MMOs to show you...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 01:29:00 pm »

What kind of business model would a game like this have, if it's so great?!  Anything that needs frequent dev intervention (anything where you can change the world) needs paid staff, and ads won't cover it.

In general either you needs lots of players (so you can sell adspace and get occasional folks to buy stuff) and offset the costs of development and hardware, or you need FEW players and 'simple' enough development that it's a labor of love with admins occasionally coming from the playerbase.

IMO the latter is better, and it just might be muds that you're after.  Graphically weaker, but gameplay is deeper as long as you stay away from the hordes of trashy ones.  I recommend Aardwolf if you're a fan of grinding for 15 minutes, half an hour at a time, and RetroMUD if you like working in parties of 2-8 people with very distinct tasks more than you like soloing.

(Since I really feel like pimping RetroMUD right now--  Levelling is 'newbie levels' until level 10 or so, which are essentially handed to you on a plate; through 20 they're mostly easy, then they ramp up pretty hard.  Once you're in the meat of the game though, there's enough varied places to last you a long time, like years.  It's possible to powerlevel, but it's just as fun to go through it slower.

Class balance is kind of fun...being a party mud it's less 'A is evenly matched with B' and more 'C really wants A, B and D in his party almost equally'.  Somehow there's fresh spins on the healing and buffing classes, and of course the sheer number of classes is mind-numbing.  Some people whine about the balance, but it's generally good natured... the 'hand' class, spiritually-aligned thieves is kind of nerfed with bugs right now though.

And there is an economy with plenty of gold-sinks in meaningful housing and equipment generally taken from monsters...It's all 100% drop rates, but many kills are challenging and uncommon enough that it's just not easy to find stuff!  The only thing is it's not a PK mud.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 01:55:09 pm »

I'm going to assume you've already played and rated Planeshift, but I'll mention it anyways.  I've never played it, but it looked like it had some interesting interactions and race differences.  I strongly considered trying it, way back when.

But I really don't know much of anything about it.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 02:02:45 pm »

I'm waiting for Planetshift to get a bit more finished.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 05:31:08 pm »

Runescape?

Even the avatars expire eventually.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 05:41:50 pm »

Runescape?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

no.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 05:43:10 pm »

[ ] Good
[ ] Free
[ ] MMO

Choose two.

You get what you pay for.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 05:43:46 pm »

Most of the time it's "choose one"...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 05:53:06 pm »

Most of the time it's "choose one"...

True. These days, it's more often "Choose the beta that promises one to be implemented at some point in the near future, potentially!"

But there are good MMOs out there. Problem is, any good MMO is going to be popular, and unless you can AUTOMAGICALLY create hardware and bandwidth out of nothingness, they're going to have to charge you at some point. There's a reason why all the decent MMOs charge you for monthly access - they cost an absolute fuckload in resources to keep going.

And how about you actually tell us what you're looking for, Yanlin? We can throw obscure Korean MMOs at you all day, but all you're giving us in return is "Didn't like it." Why didn't you like it? What did you like? What are you looking for in a MMO? Why does it have to be an MMO?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 06:09:27 pm »

Again, why can't you have ads? I like ads. They are awesome.

If for some reason, you hate ads, then just have microtranscations, or paid subscriptions with special features. You can have some rich people get awesome characters, and that wouldn't affect my playing style much.

The only good free MMORPG I saw recently was Imperium Nova. Roleplay intenstive, and all you have to do is ask for advice to learn how best to play. Farming and Geo are good newbie spheres, and you can roll in cash rather quickly. Of course, I left the game rather quickly because I got bored. So your milage may vary.

...Oh, and unlike most people here, I actually consider forum games to be MMORPGs. Maybe they aren't good quality and are not massive, but they have more than one player, they are online, and they are roleplaying.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:11:02 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 07:04:42 pm »

There's that moneymaking sci-fi MMO, but that's mostly just free and MMO.  I don't know how much gameplay it provides outside of making business decisions and hauling dung for chump change.  Still though, you're making real chump change.

Y'know, it's stuff like that that could seriously benefit from a group effort...  One guy isn't going to make all that much cash, but a group working together could make more just through the virtue of being a larger group of people hired at a time.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 07:06:41 pm »

It's called Project Entropia, and they make money due to egging players to actually pay real money in the hope of making a profit later on. Some people compared it to gambling.

You need to get a certain amount of chump change though before the company consents to actually sending it over to you.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14